• American flag flying
Shorten Program End Date

International Student Services

» Shorten Program End Date

As you progress through the requirements of your degree program, you may realize you will graduate sooner than expected. 

If you will finish your program before the end date listed on your I-20 Form, you must notify ISS to shorten the duration of stay on your immigration record. Failure to notify our office may result in failure to maintain your status which could have a negative impact on your immigration and F-1 visa benefits.


How to Shorten your End Date

Step 1: Meet with your Academic Advisor

You will need to confirm with your academic advisor that you are on track to graduate early. Their approval is required for this adjustment. 

Step 2: Notify ISS

Prior to the start of your final term, notify ISS by emailing iss@chapman.edu that you will be graduating early. 

If you apply for OPT, ISS will determine you are in your final term and your program end date will automatically be adjusted based on your OPT application documents.

Step 3: Receive an updated  I-20 Form from ISS

Once you have notified ISS, you will receive an updated I-20 Form with the appropriate end date listed. 


Impact of Shortening your Program

On your new end date:

  • Your eligibility to apply for OPT will be 90-days prior
  • Any on-campus work authorization you have will end
  • Your 60-day grace period begins 

Shortening your record to an earlier end date is final and cannot be reversed without requesting a program extension.


International Student Services provides general guidance. Any advice provided to you by the ISS should not be construed as legal advice.

Additionally, due to the fluid nature of governmental interpretation, government agencies such as USCIS/ICE/CBP may change their interpretation of immigration laws/regulations and eligibility requirements for benefits at any time. We will do our best to provide the most current guidance.

Each case is fact-specific and it is advised that you contact an experienced immigration attorney if you have questions regarding your situation.