» Interrupted Enrollment

Students may find it necessary to interrupt progress toward their degree; leave Chapman, and decide to return at a later date.

UNDERGRADUATE students who left Chapman University in good academic standing or on academic probation and were absent no more than 4 consecutive semesters (excluding interterm and summer sessions), may enroll for classes at Chapman University during the registration period for their return.

Students with Interrupted Enrollment status will enroll under the general education and major degree requirements of their original catalog year.

GRADUATE students who wish to break enrollment for 1 semester or trimester (excluding interterm and summer sessions) must request for and be granted a Leave of Absence. Approved Leaves of Absence do not extend the time limitation on graduate degree completion. All degree requirements must be completed within 7 years from the date of matriculation.

Requests for Leave of Absence are made through completing a Graduate Petition Form and must be submitted to the Dean's Office of the student's college or school. Graduate students wishing to leave during a term and prior to the end of the withdrawal period, must request to officially drop all coursework with the Office of the University Registrar when their requests for leave are granted.

The minimum requirements for a Leave of Absence are:

  • A student must be in good academic standing.
  • The petition must be approved by the program director and dean of the college.
  • The petition must state clearly and completely the reasons for the leave.
  • Leaves may be granted for one year with a possible renewal of one additional year.
  • Failure to return after the specified time is considered complete withdrawal from Chapman University.
  • Retroactive leaves are not permitted.

VETERANS receiving honorable discharge, and who left the university to perform military service - interrupting their enrollment, may enroll for classes at Chapman University with the same academic status when the students last attended Chapman. The length of absence from Chapman University cannot exceed five years.



If an undergraduate student left the university in good academic standing or on academic probation and was gone for 5 consecutive semesters or more (excluding interterm and summer sessions), the student must submit an Application for Re-Enrollment to the Office of the University Registrar. The student will enroll under the general education and major or degree requirements in effect at the time the student returns to Chapman.

Undergraduate students may request to return to their original catalog and the requests will be reviewed and decided upon by the academic departments or schools. The decisions made by the academic departments or schools on catalog requirements are final.

If students take coursework during their absence from Chapman University, they must provide official transcripts of that work to the Office of the University Registrar upon Re-Enrollment. Students who have been away from the university for more than 5 years must provide official transcripts from all institutions attended along with the Re-Enrollment Form.

Prior to Re-enrollment:

Students wishing to return to Chapman University are eligible for Re-Enrollment so long as the major and/or minor meet the following criteria:

  1. The major and/or minor are still being offered by Chapman University.
  2. The major and/or minor have not had significant changes due to regulatory requirements.
  3. The major and/or minor are not an impacted programs calling for selective admission.


Graduate students who have broken enrollment for a period of more than 1 semester or a trimester without receiving an approved Leave of Absence are required to request Re–Enrollment through their program department (interterm and summer sessions do not constitute a semester). All students are held to the degree requirements in effect at the time of their return unless approved for their original catalog year requirements by the program director or dean.

To apply for  Re-Enrollment, contact the program department to submit a Graduate Re-Enrollment Form


Academically Dismissed students seeking to return within 2 years of dismissal must request re-instatement at Chapman University and submit their request to the Academic Standards Committee through the Office of the University Registrar. Official transcripts from institutions attended after dismissal must be provided.

Students seeking to return after being gone for more than 2 years from the time of dismissal must apply for Re-Admission at the Office of Admission.

All students returning after dismissal or probation will be re-admitted on probation status.


When taking a Leave of Absence, it is the International Student's responsibility to inform the office of International Student Services of your leave of absence. Failure to do so can result in a negative impact on your I-20 and student visa status. Please Contact:

Susan Sams
International Student and Scholar Services