• American flag flying
On-campus Employment

International Student Services

» On-campus Employment for International Students

As a student on an F-1 visa, on-campus employment is your first available option. Additional opportunities will become available during your time in the United States. 

Working on campus is a great way to get involved, gain professional experience and make money. 

If you are interested in working on campus, you can learn more and find open positions on the Student Employment Services webpage. 

Additionally, as an international student you should keep in mind:

  • You are eligible for non-Work-study or university-funded employment. 
  • You can apply for on-campus jobs at any time. You can start your on-campus employment as early as 30 days after your I-20 start date once ISS has registered your SEVIS record.
  • Your employment  does not need to be related to your field of study or major.
  • Before working, you must first get a Social Security Number. To get a Social Security Number, you will need an employment offer letter. Chapman’s Student Employment Office will provide you with documentation and next steps for this process. You can learn more about the process on our Getting a Social Security Number page.
  • You do not need to notify the ISS office if you begin working on campus. 
  • Chapman’s Career and Professional Development office has several career resources that can help you in your job search, including workshops, preparing your resume and mock interviews.


International Student Services provides general guidance. Any advice provided to you by the ISS should not be construed as legal advice.

Additionally, due to the fluid nature of governmental interpretation, government agencies such as USCIS/ICE/CBP may change their interpretation of immigration laws/regulations and eligibility requirements for benefits at any time. We will do our best to provide the most current guidance.

Each case is fact-specific and it is advised that you contact an experienced immigration attorney if you have questions regarding your situation.


Contact ISS

Visit our contact page to email us, call us or make an appointment with a team member.

Study in the States Guide

Check out this Study in the States Guide from the U.S. government regarding visas, arrival, and laws.