• American flag flying

International Student Services

» Employment

As an international student, you have some opportunities to be employed in the U.S. Below is more information different employment opportunities and necessary requirements, such as obtaining a social security number and paying U.S. taxes.

On-campus EmploymentCareer Fair at Chapman

As a student on an F-1 visa, on-campus employment is your first available option. Additional opportunities will become available during your time in the United States. 

Working on campus is a great way to get involved, gain professional experience and make money. 

Learn more about working on campus >>


Additional Employment Options

Curricular Practical Training

CPT allows you to participate in an off-campus paid internship that is related to your major or field of study.

Optional Practical Training

OPT allows you to work for one year following graduation in a job related to your major or field of study.

STEM Optional Practical Training Extension

Students who receive a degree in certain STEM fields may be eligible for a 24 month extension on their OPT.

Work Requirements

Everyone who works in the U.S., even non-immigrants, are required to have a Social Security number to work. In addition, you you will likely need to pay taxes on an income you make at your job:

Social Security Number

Learn more about what a social security number is, who is eligible to obtain one and how to apply for it.

U.S. Taxes

International students, scholars and their dependents in the U.S. must file annual tax forms on any income earned in the U.S.

International Student Services provides general guidance. Any advice provided to you by the ISS should not be construed as legal advice.

Additionally, due to the fluid nature of governmental interpretation, government agencies such as USCIS/ICE/CBP may change their interpretation of immigration laws/regulations and eligibility requirements for benefits at any time. We will do our best to provide the most current guidance.

Each case is fact-specific and it is advised that you contact an experienced immigration attorney if you have questions regarding your situation.