» Diploma Information

Degrees are awarded three times a year: at the end of January, May, and August. You must have a degree conferral application on file for the term in which you intend to complete your degree requirements. The name you enter on the application is what will appear on your diploma. Pending verification that you have no holds on your account, diplomas are typically mailed within 4-6 weeks from the date your degree is awarded.  Along with the diploma, you will receive a complimentary copy of your transcripts. If you have any holds on your account, please contact the office that placed the hold.

If your address changes from the one you entered on your conferral application, please update it by emailing conferral@chapman.edu. Students have up to six months to report a lost or damaged diploma without having to pay the duplicate diploma fee.

Ordering a Notarized Diploma

Special Notice: Due to the current COVID-19 situation, notarization requests for diplomas are temporarily unavailable. California does not allow notaries to do notarizations remotely. Students in need of notarized diplomas should contact the requesting organization to see if other documentation can be provided.

Students needing their diplomas notarized must submit the Notary Request Form and contact conferral@chapman.edu to set up an appointment for the notarization. Notarization is commonly required for employment or higher education in different countries. 

Copies of diplomas cannot be notarized. If you need to request a duplicate diploma, please fill out the Duplicate Diploma Form in addition to the Notary Request Form. 

For additional information regarding the notary process, please see the FAQ below.


Toggle Section

Notary and Apostille for Diplomas and Transcripts

Notarization & Apostille for Diplomas and Transcripts

What is a notarization?

A notarization is verification that a document is authentic.

Do I need my transcripts or diploma notarized?

Typically international students or students applying for employment or higher education in a different country will need a notarized diploma or transcript to submit to the California Secretary of State to obtain an Apostille. The Office of the University Registrar can only notarize documents that it provides. If a third party requires a notarization, they will let you know.

How do I get my diploma or transcripts notarized?

Contact conferral@chapman.edu to set up an appointment time with the Diploma Production Specialist and the Notary Public. Only original documents can be notarized; copies or scanned documents are not accepted. Bring the official transcripts or diploma to the Registrar’s Office at the designated appointment time.

What if I don’t have my original diploma?

You can request a duplicate diploma by submitting the request found on the Registrar’s Forms website. Please note that the processing and printing time for duplicate diplomas is estimated at 4-6 weeks.

What if I don’t have my official transcripts?

Students needing notarized official transcripts should contact registrar@chapman.edu to arrange for transcripts to be notarized and mailed. Students may also order transcripts in person at our office and have them notarized. However, an appointment time will need to be scheduled by emailing registrar@chapman.edu for the Notary Public.

What is an Apostille?

According to the California Secretary of State website, an Apostille is a certificate that authenticates the origin of a public document. Apostilles can only be issued for documents issued in one country party to the Apostille Convention and that are to be used in another country which is also a party to the Convention. See the Secretary of State website for further information- http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/authentication/.

Where do my documents need to go after they are notarized?

If the documents need to be sent to the California Secretary of State for an Apostille, the student can send all required documents to the Secretary of State themselves. Our office does not coordinate the Apostille process. You’ll need to contact the Secretary of State office for further questions regarding the Apostille process.