Students at Chapman

Student Business Services

» Student Accounts: Frequently Asked Questions

+ - How do I receive my monthly statement?

Chapman University uses an electronic billing system, eBill/TouchNet, that allows you and anyone you have authorized to access your student account and eBill statements online. Chapman University does not send paper statements.

Each month, an eBill will be generated for all students who have activity of any kind on their student account.  Students and authorized users (if applicable) will be sent a
notification via-email each month informing them that a new monthly billing statement is available to view.

+ - When will I receive my tuition bill?

Tuition bills cannot be generated until a student is registered for classes.  Students who register during the priority registration period can expect their Fall bills to be generated June 30, Spring bills November 30, Summer April 30.  Students registering after those billing dates won’t be billed until the end of the month during which they enroll and should check immediately with the Business Office for payment details.

+ - Does Chapman University offer a Payment Plan?

Yes, please click on this link for Tuition Payment Option details.

+ - When is my tuition due?

Click link for Tuition Payment Options to view when tuition will be due.

+ - What is an eBill notification?

The eBill notification is the monthly email sent to the student’s Chapman University email address reporting that the latest eBill is available to view online. 

Parents and other responsible parties will not receive notices or have access to eBills unless the student sets them up as authorized users in the eBill website.


+ - How do I set up an Authorize User to view and make payments on my Student Account?

+ - What is the difference between the ebill notification, statements and student activity?

The ebill notification provides the link for accessing the billing website and provides a summary of the student account status.

The eBill, or statement will report the activity from the most recent month, report any pending financial aid, and calculate the balance due and outline the Payment Plan amounts/due dates for those opting to use the Payment Plan.  To access this information, click on eBill on the menu bar when in the eBill website.

View Account Activity reports all historical activity as well as real-time transactions on the student account.

+ - Where and how are tuition payments made?

The preferred methods of payment are via ePay, the secure online payment gateway offered through our online billing servicer, or by wire transfer. 

Wire transfer information is on the Student Business Services page under Making a Payment.

Payment can be submitted in person at the Cashier’s Office in the Bhathal Student Services building or by mail to:  Chapman University, Cashier’s Office, One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866. If mailing a payment please include your student ID number on your check or money order you mail to the Cashier's Office.

Accepted forms of payment are cash and checks or money orders payable to Chapman University.  Credit cards are not accepted for tuition payments but can be used to purchase commuter meal plans, establish declining balance accounts, pay for transcripts, replacement ID cards, etc.  Visa, MasterCard and Discover Cards are accepted.

+ - Why do I have a hold on my records?

A hold can be placed on your records by departments to ensure that the student complies with a university or federal regulation.  A hold can prevent a student from registering for a future term, or obtaining a transcript, diploma or other university services. You can view your holds in  If you have a hold, please contact the department(s) for further assistance. 

  • Academic Advising – usually regarding an academic requirement.
  • Student Health Services – usually for missing health records.
  • Financial Aid Office – usually for failure to complete the exit interview required of students who received federal loans while in attendance.
  • Dean’s Office – usually for failure to resolve conduct issues.
  • Business Office – can be for missing forms (Tuition and Fee Master Payment Contract ) past due payments, expected financial aid not received, excessive fines, etc.

+ - What is the Tuition and Fee Master Payment Contract?

The Tuition and Fee Master Payment Contract is required of all students and notifies students and responsible parties of their rights and responsibilities regarding the tuition account.  . For additional information on the contract please click here.

+ - How is my Financial Aid disbursed?

Student Loans, grants and most scholarships are disbursed within the first two weeks of the semester if the student meets all eligibility criteria (i.e. enrolled in the correct number and/or type of units) and has completed all required paperwork to secure these funds.  PELL and CAL Grants are not disbursed until after the end of the second week.  Students expecting a refund can come to the Business Office to charge commuter meal plans, declining balance deposits, and purchases from the Bookstore (go to the Bookstore first to determine how much you need) against the pending credit prior to receipt of the aid if the aid can be confirmed .  After the aid is applied to your tuition account you can request a refund of any credit balance. 

+ - How and when will a refund be disbursed to me if I have a credit balance? How do I know my funds are available for refund?

To see if your funds are available, log into and select 'Access ePay' under the Finance Section.  On the next page, if the amount has a minus (-) sign, check with the Business Office to request your refund.

Refunds can be requested with the Business Office in person or by emailing your Student Account Advisor from your Chapman email address.

If the refund is caused by the PLUS loan, parent permission to release the credit balance to the student is required.  Please click on the link to download the Parent Plus authorization release form.

If a refund has been issued and new charges are later added, it is the responsibility of the student to make sure payment is made.

+ - Will I be receiving a 1098-T Tuition Statement?

Chapman will report to the IRS required information about students who were billed for at least one credit hour in any semester of a tax year. 1098-T statements will be mailed by January 31st of the following year. If you were not billed tuition and fees for the preceding year, you will NOT receive a 1098-T. If you do not have a valid SSN or TIN on file, you will NOT receive a 1098-T.

If you did not receive a 1098-T but feel you should have one, please contact the Student Business Services Office at (714) 997-6617 or email

+ - What types of charges are reflected on the student account?

Most charges that a student incurs on campus will be reflected on the student account. 

These charges include but are not limited to:


  • Tuition
  • Parking Fee
  • Health Center Fee
  • Chapman Residence Hall or Apartment
  • Meal Plan
  • Course/Lab Fees
  • Health Insurance- Optional
  • Student Activities Fee


Fines owed to the Library or Film/TV Gold Room are charged to the tuition account if not paid to the respective department upon notice.

Please note that the bookstore is a separate entity.  Therefore, charges for textbooks will not be applied to the student account.

+ - What is Dewar Insurance? When and How do I apply for coverage?

A.W.G. Dewar Inc. offers students and parents a tuition insurance policy which would guarantee a refund of moneys paid to the university in the event that a student suffers a serious illness or accident and must withdraw from the university before the semester is completed. This elective plan covers tuition, fees and on campus housing.  The cost is approximately 1% of the annual cost. You must apply for this coverage directly with A.W.G. Dewar Inc. prior to the first day of classes. Forms are available in the Business Office or DEWAR online.

+ - Why am I charged for parking if I don’t have a vehicle or don’t plan to park on campus?

Parking on city streets and in neighborhoods can result in a parking citation.  If you do not have a vehicle, walk or use public transportation, you can apply for/renew a parking waiver by the end of the third week of the Fall semester.  Log into parking service portal, and select Vehicle Registration to complete the waiver request.

+ - What is the Chapman University Tuition Withdrawal Policy?

The date of withdrawal for purposes of tuition credit shall be the date on which the class was dropped through Webadvisor or at the Registrar’s Office.  Students who register, but do not attend classes, will not receive a tuition credit unless they officially withdraw by the posted deadlines.  Tuition deposits are not refundable.  Click here for the refund schedule.  Students who receive federal financial aid are subject to a pro-rated return of federal funds if they withdraw before completing 60% of the semester.  The return of federal funds may result in a balance owing to Chapman from the student

+ - I dropped my classes by the deadline, why do I still owe anything?

 The deadlines to drop a class (so that it doesn’t appear on your transcript) and withdraw from a class are academic deadlines and do not affect the refund policy.

+ - Where can I get a commuter meal plan?

Commuter meal plans are purchased with the Cashier in the Bhathal Student Services Building using cash, check, credit card or money order, online by clicking the Commuter Meal Plan  link, or can be charged against student account credit balances. All commuter meal plans are non-refundable and expire at the end of the Spring semester each year.

+ - What is a declining balance account?

The declining balance account is established by submitting payment to the Cashier’s Office, transferring funds from a credit balance on the student account, or adding funds online through the eAccounts portal. The funds are accessed using your Chapman University student ID card and can be used in the Bookstore, for laundry, print credits, library fines and at on campus dining establishments.  Declining balance accounts never expire and unused funds are refundable.


+ - Who do I contact if I have questions on my eBill?

A variety of charges and credits make up your student statement. The Business Office compiles multiple sources of information (from Chapman University departments), such as fees, waivers, approved financial aid and charges generated at the time of registration to create a monthly eBill. If you have questions regarding your eBill, contact the Business Office.

Please note that the Business Office makes every effort to answer questions received but may have to refer you to another department to resolve your inquiry.

Pending financial aid isn’t showing on my bill -

                If you have been packaged with financial aid as a full-time undergrad, the details will not appear on your bill if you are not fully registered in at least 12 units.  The system does not bill for wait-listed classes.  Contact the Business Office to get an estimate for full-time tuition and fees/financial aid.

                If you are a graduate student, you must be fully admitted and enrolled in at least the number of units for which you were packaged.  The units must be recognized by the system as program-eligible, and if not contact your department or advisor. 

                If you have not submitted the documents requested by Financial Aid, your funding is in verification and will not appear on your bill.  Contact the Financial Aid Office.      

My financial aid hasn’t posted to my account or doesn’t match my award letter:

                If your funding is in verification, it will not post to your account until outstanding documents have been submitted to the Financial Aid Office.               

                Work study is not a scholarship/grant or loan and will not post to your student account.  It is money earned through the Payroll Department by working on campus.

                PELL and CAL Grants will not post until the third week of the semester, if you meet the minimum requirements.

                Subsidized, Unsubsidized and PLUS Direct Loans will fund for less than the amounts appearing on the award letter because of the origination fee retained by the lender.

                Financial Aid can revise your award at any point during the year due to changes in your status or verification.  If you notice a change in scholarships/amounts awarded, check with the Financial Aid Office.

My housing rate isn’t correct:

                Housing and meal plan charges are based on the assignment input by the Office of Housing and Residence Life as are the adjustments for triple room occupancy, residence hall changes and room/board terminations.  The Business Office can only assist with switching resident meal plans between the four available.

+ - What if I cannot pay off my entire balance during the term?

A past due balance will prevent registration for future terms and the release of transcripts and/or diploma.  Student accounts that are not resolved by the end of the semester are referred to the in-house collections representative in the Student Business Services Office, who is authorized to establish special payment plans.  Failure to satisfactorily resolve the balance may result in the account being referred to a collection agency at which point the delinquency is reported to a credit bureau and legal action may be pursued.

+ - My account has a Business Office Collections hold what does that mean?

A collections hold means that you still have an unpaid balance with the University. Please contact our Collections Office for further assistance.

  • Email: (Please include your name, Chapman-ID, and use your Chapman email)
  • Fax: 714-744-7995 (Please include your  name, Chapman-ID, and your Chapman email)
  • Phone: 714-997-6649

In person:

University Collections
Bhathal Student Services Center
One University Drive
Orange, CA  92866

+ - How can I get in touch with the Collections Office regarding my hold, or my past due account?

A collections hold will prevent your access to request registration, transcripts and diplomas.  If any charge remain on your student account it will be forwarded to in house collection status, with a restriction of a collection hold.

       Contact the University Collections Office to make arrangements to pay the balance due, or discuss the collections hold, as follows:

  • Fax: 714-744-7995 (include your name, Chapman ID #, use your Chapman email,)
  • Phone: 714-997-6649
  •  In person:

    University Collections
    Bhathal Student Services Center
    One University Drive
    Orange, CA  92866 

+ - If I have a collections hold on my account do I receive an eBill?

You can view your student account at A monthly eBill statement is available for viewing through your Student Center.

If you need assistance with logging into your Student Center, contact the Help Desk at 714-997-6600 

Please keep in mind that if you are set-up on a Repayment Agreement with the collections office, the payment amount listed on your monthly eBill statement does not pertain to your agreement.

Please refer to your Repayment Agreement for your monthly payment amount and due date.

+ - Can I make monthly payments on my past due balance?

The University will allow you to establish a Repayment Agreement to make monthly payments.

Please contact our Collections Office for further assistance.

  • Email: (Please include your name, Chapman-ID, and use your Chapman email)
  • Phone: 714-997-6649
  • Fax: 714-744-7995 (include yourname, Chapman ID #, use your Chapman email)
  • In Person:

            University Collections
            Bhathal Student Services Center
            One University Drive
            Orange, CA  92866 

Once the balance is paid in full, the collections hold will be released at which time you may order transcripts, diploma and/or register for classes.

  • Featured
  • News
  • Events