The Veterans Resource Center building at Chapman University
Veterans Resource Center

» Financial Benefits and Resources for Veterans

Veterans and family members with 100% GI Bill® eligibility, using the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, will typically receive full tuition coverage through a combination of VA benefits, Yellow Ribbon contributions, and financial aid.

Please see below for more information on how these benefits can make education at Chapman University an affordable option. If you have any questions, please contact the Veterans Resource Center.

Applying for Post-9/11 GI Bill ® Benefits

You can apply for your GI Bill® benefits on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Veterans with less than 100% GI Bill® eligibility should contact the Veterans Resource Center to ensure they receive the maximum benefits allowable.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® covers all in-state tuition and fees at public-degree granting schools. To accommodate the additional tuition expense of a private university, the Yellow Ribbon Program was created (see below).

Chapman’s Yellow Ribbon Program

Through the Yellow Ribbon Program, Chapman University will financially contribute towards your tuition and fees each academic year (and the Veterans Administration will contribute matching funds). There is no contribution limit on Chapman’s part, which means your tuition and fees could be fully covered.

Chapman University’s participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program is voluntary. Chapman may choose not to participate or change the contribution amount offered in future years.

Toggle Section

Yellow Ribbon Eligibility

The Yellow Ribbon Program accepts undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and law school students.

Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (100% based on service requirements), or their designated transferees, are eligible. You may be eligible if any of the following apply:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability, and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria above).

Active-duty service members and their spouses are not yet eligible; child transferees may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate.

Apply to the Yellow Ribbon Program

You must first be admitted to Chapman University before applying to the Yellow Ribbon Program.

After your admission to Chapman, please submit the following items to the Veterans Resource Center:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (provided by the VA)
  • Certification Request (this is submitted every semester)
  • A copy of your DD214 (for Independent Students; dependents should submit a DD214 copy of the service member whose benefits they qualify under)
  • VA Student Responsibility Form (checking the “Yellow Ribbon Program” checkbox serves as your application to the program)

Students accepted to the Yellow Ribbon Program are automatically renewed each academic year, providing they meet the following requirements:

  • Satisfactory progress towards completion of their degree program
  • Continuous enrollment (per school policy)
  • Remaining entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Additional Financial Resources 

There are additional options available for financing your education at Chapman University.

Toggle Section

Financial Aid

Chapman strongly encourages applicants to apply for financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This helps ensure you maximize all financing options available, including loans.

You must indicate your VA education eligibility on your FAFSA. Some veteran benefits are considered part of financial aid. Veteran benefits may affect your eligibility for certain Chapman University scholarships.

Scholarships and Grants

Additional support is provided by the state and federal government, outside organizations and by the University.

Our Financial Aid office has a list of these resources on the Scholarships & Grants section of its website. Undergraduate students can also go directly to the following pages for specific information on:

You may want to follow Chapman’s Financial Aid Facebook page for more information on new scholarship offers for undergraduate students.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study Program gives you the opportunity to work part-time while attending Chapman. Visit the Financial Aid office’s Federal Work-Study page for more information using Work-Study as an undergraduate student.

Tips for Military Dependents

Chapman University student Keani Lagasa Keani Lagasa '22 uses her father's GI Bill® to help pay for college. She provides tips for other military dependents who are learning how to use their benefits and find the right school.

Office Hours

Monday through Friday

8 a.m. - 5 p.m.