» Frequently Asked Questions

We have provided answers to a few of the most frequently asked questions. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support your residential experience!

Toggle Section

Undergraduate Students

Where is your office located?

The Office of Residence Life and First Year Experience is in the Davis Community Center on the 2nd floor. We are open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Please also feel free to contact a staff member directly.

How do I apply for housing at Chapman University?

The housing application process is detailed, based on your student status, at our Applying for Housing page.

I am an incoming first year student and I want to live in ___________ hall. How is housing assigned?

In order to help first year students build community at Chapman, all first year students will be placed in on-campus housing according to academic content and we use a software system to match you with your roommates based on the living preference questions that are completed as part of the online housing application.

Which residence hall is the best?

Most Chapman students would claim that the hall they are currently living in is the best! Learn more about the housing options we have available.

Can I request to live with a friend?

No, all first year students will be placed in on-campus housing according to academic content and we use a software system to match you with your roommates based on the living preference questions that are completed as part of the online housing application.

Students who continue to live on campus following their first year may select a preferred roommate through the Panther Housing Selection process during the spring semester.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate(s)?

Each room will complete a Roommate Agreement at the beginning of the year to establish rules that all roommates agree upon. Review our roommate tips to help you get started on the right foot.  If at any time the agreement is not being met, please contact your Resident Advisor who will help you make necessary adjustments.

What do I do when there is something broken, flooded, clogged in my room?

For non-emergencies, please complete an online Facilities Work Request. In an emergency, immediately contact your Resident Advisor, Resident Director, or Public Safety.

Am I allowed to bring (refrigerators, pets, decorations, etc.) to the residence hall?

Visit our move-in page for details on what you should (and should not!) bring with you when living on campus.

I am locked out. What should I do?

If you are locked out of your room/apartment between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday you can contact the Office of Residence Life and First Year Experience in the Davis Community Center. After business hours (5 p.m. - midnight), please visit the Residential Support Desk in the Henley Basement, or call (714) 997-6603. During late night or weekend hours, call Public Safety. Note: Each student receives one free lockout per year. Residents are charged a $5.00 fine for each subsequent lockout.

I am sick. Where should I go?

The Student Health Center is located at the corner of Sycamore and Glassell. After business hours, students may go to Sunrise Multispecialist Medical Center. Sunrise is a 24 hour urgent care clinic that does not require appointments. The Sunrise clinics accept many types of medical insurance, including Chapman's medical coverage.

What are the different types of meal plans?

Residents living in non-apartment style housing are required to have a meal plan. Please review the meal plan options to select which is best for you.

Can I change my meal plan?

Yes. If you would like to change your meal plan prior to the start of the semester, you can contact the Office of Residence Life and First Year Experience. You will need to contact Student Business Services for any changes made thereafter. All changes must be made within the first two weeks of the semester.

What is the cost of parking?

A parking permit is required for any vehicles parking on campus. Please review Parking Services information for details on specific parking permit costs and designated parking areas. Failure to register your vehicle could result in a parking citation and/or towing your vehicle.

What if I want to move to a different room in the middle of the semester?

Students can work with their Resident Advisor and Resident Director, or Area Coordinator to look at assignment change options.  Please note that assignment change requests should only be submitted AFTER the start of the semester and are accommodated only when space is available.

I need to move off campus. What is the proper procedure?

Students must complete a License Release Request Form. All directions must be completed and, if needed, written documentation must also be submitted. After we have received your request, the Assistant Director will review your request and contact you to explain the next steps. License releases are not guaranteed and are only approved for special circumstances.

What is my address on campus?

If you live in the residence halls, Harris Apartments, or The K:
    Your Legal Name
    One University Drive, CMB #
    Orange, CA 92866

If you live in the Davis Apartments:
    Your Legal Name
    625 North Grand, Apt #
    Orange, CA 92867

If you live in the Chapman Grand:
    Your Legal Name
    915 E. Katella, Apt #
    Anaheim, CA 92805

If you live in the Panther Village:
    Your Legal Name
    3101 W. Chapman Ave., #(mailbox number)
    Orange, CA 92868

How do I receive packages that are sent to me?

If you live in the residence halls or Harris Apartments, your packages will be held in either of our package rooms, located in the Davis Community Center (on the first floor) and Sandhu Residence Center (near the Doti Struppa Rockwall). If you live in The K, your packages will be held in the package room on the 1st floor of the building.  You will receive an email from University Services notifying you of your package arrival and which location you should pick it up from. It generally takes 12 hours from the point that it arrives to campus to be ready for pick up at our package rooms.

If you live in the Davis Apartments, your mail is processed directly by the U.S. Postal Service and your package will be delivered directly to your door.

Chapman Grand and Panther Village students will receive their packages at their buildings.

Is alcohol and smoking allowed?

Smoking is allowed in the basketball court area across from Pralle-Sodaro Hall. Alcohol is only allowed in the rooms of students who are 21 years of age. Please refer to the Student Conduct Code for more information.

Graduate and Law Students

Who is eligible to live in the University Apartments?

We have a small number of Chapman owned apartments set aside for graduate and law students, or students who are married.

How do I apply to live in the University Apartments?

Graduate or Law students who are interested in living in a one of our University Apartments must complete a Graduate and Law Student Housing Request Form. Housing is not guaranteed, and we have an extremely limited amount of apartments available. Students will be contacted if a property becomes available. There is no application fee for graduate and law students. 

Where are the University Apartments?

Most of the University Apartments are located on Olive Street, about a block from the main Chapman campus.

What kinds of apartments are available for rent?

The University Apartments are all 1 bedroom units. 

How do the utility payments work for the University Apartments?

Chapman pays all of the utilities for the University Apartments, except for cable/Internet service.

Are pets allowed in the University Apartments?

No, only service animals are allowed in the University Apartments.

Can financial aid cover the cost of my University Apartment?

For more information regarding financial aid and how it may be used, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Off Campus Students

What kinds of options do I have to live off campus?

There are a number of opportunities for off campus living. Visit our Off Campus Rental Listings page to browse the private listings and local apartment communities.

When should I start looking for an apartment?

It's never too early to begin learning the market... start now! Track ads and visit neighborhood buildings to prepare yourself for a successful search. We recommend that you begin searching for an apartment, in earnest, at least 4-6 weeks before your anticipated move-in date. The winter is considered a slow season, while the spring and summer, particularly May through the end of August, get very busy.

What are the neighborhoods in Orange like? 

The City of Orange is one of Orange County’s most desirable and historic neighborhoods, not only because of its charm, weather, convenience, and the people who make up the community. It is also a safe place to live.
For demographics and safety statistics:

What is a guarantor and do I need one?

For students who do not meet the income or credit requirements specified by a landlord, a guarantor might be the solution. A guarantor (also known as a co-signer) is someone who is willing to take on the financial liability of your lease if you are unable or unwilling to fulfill it. The guarantor is generally not required to pay anything in order to get you approved; however by agreeing to guarantee you, they are responsible for all terms of your lease. If you are sharing an apartment, it is important to understand that the guarantor is ultimately responsible for the entire lease. Landlords sometimes accept multiple guarantors; however, they are not legally obligated to do so.  Internal written agreements with all parties is recommended.

A guarantor does not have to be a relative. Most landlords prefer the guarantor to live in the United States mainly for easier verification purposes (landlords may ask for documents to be notarized if you do not have a guarantor who is employed in the United States.) It is best to prepare your potential guarantor by advising them of what documents will be requested of them. Timing is critical in the California rental market, and your guarantor's cooperation will be important. Guarantors usually do not have to be present at lease signing.

Guarantors may be requested to provide the following information:

  • Guarantor application
  • Guarantor Agreement
  • Social Security Number - Credit Report (Landlords generally run credit)
  • Proof of income showing income requirements-landlord or property management discretion
  • Tax returns - first page and signature
  • Letter of Employment - on company letterhead (position, salary, and start date)
  • CPA letter - stating qualifying income

What are broker fees and how much do they cost?

Broker fees are commissions, or finder's fees, which you pay to a broker for locating an apartment. Depending on the relationship between the realty and the owner, apartments may or may not have a fee attached to them.

Can Chapman help me with negotiations with landlords/brokers?

Residence Life and First Year Experience does not get involved in any pre or post agreement discussions regarding apartments.

Does Chapman Off Campus Housing investigate its listings?

Residence Life and First Year Experience does not investigate, endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of the information provided in any listing, the condition of the accommodation, or the suitability or performance of either the lister or any prospective tenant. Chapman University shall not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered or incurred by any individual or entity arising out of or relating to the listings. Chapman University shall not be deemed to be a party, and shall have no responsibility or obligation to enforce such agreement.

First Year Experience

For more information on the First Year Experience and the programs and resources being offered please visit their webpage.