» Title IX Reporting Options

All University employees (faculty, staff, administrators, and student employees) are required to report any gender- or sex-based discrimination or harassment (this is inclusive of all alleged incidents of sexual violence) to a Title IX Coordinator. The only exceptions to this requirement are those individuals who are designated as privileged and confidential resources. The individuals listed below are those who work with community concerns and Title IX to look into reported concerns as appropriate. These individuals are those to whom you can make a formal report of sexual misconduct.

On-campus reporting options

These are people on campus who work with community concerns, including those related to sex- or gender-based harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct. They are available to talk if you have a concern you want to share, have questions about the Title IX investigative or adjudicative processes, or want to report an incident.

These individuals work with student(s)-to-student(s) matters:

  • DeAnn Yocum Gaffney, Ed.D., Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Senior Associate Dean of Students
    Lead Title IX Coordinator
    Argyros Forum 101
    (714) 997-6721
  • Chris Toutain, Program Coordinator for Student Conduct
    Argyros Forum 302B
    (714) 532-6039
  • Kristen EntringerProgram Coordinator for Student Conduct
    Argyros Forum 302A
    (714) 532-6056

These individuals work with matters involving faculty and staff:

  • Misha MartinezEqual Opportunity and Diversity Officer
    Title IX Deputy Coordinator
    DeMille Hall room 103
    (714) 997-6847

These are additional reporting options on campus:

  • Public Safety Department – (714) 997-6763 
    Available 24 hours 7 days a week
  • Dean of Students Office – (714) 997-6721
  • Office of Human Resources – (714) 997- 6686

Once an incident is reported to the University, it will be forwarded to a Title IX Coordinator. Learn more about Title IX investigation procedures for cases involving students here. Learn more about University sexual misconduct policies, including the Student Conduct Code definition of consent, here. There are also FAQs for complainants and FAQs for respondents available.

Off-campus reporting options

In addition to the Chapman University reporting options, you may also provide reports of concerning behavior to local police. The following phone numbers are for the various police departments in Orange and the surrounding area (please note that the numbers listed are NON-emergency numbers).

  • Orange Police Department
    • (714) 744-7444
  • Anaheim Police Department
    • (714) 765-1900
  • Irvine Police Department
    • (949) 724-6000
  • Santa Ana Police Department
    • (714) 245- 8665
  • Orange County Sheriff’s Department (Villa Park, North Tustin)
    • (714) 647-7000

Office of Civil Rights

Individuals with complaints of this nature also always have the right to file a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
50 United Nations Plaza
Mail Box 1200, Room 1545
San Francisco, CA  94102

Phone: (415) 486-5555
Fax: (415) 486-5570
TDY: (800) 877-8339
Email: ocr.sanfrancisco@ed.gov
Web: http://www.ed.gov/ocr