• American flag flying
Change or Add Majors and Minors

International Student Services

» Change or Add Majors and Minors

Federal regulations require that schools notify the U.S. government when international students declare or update their majors.

Please note that changing your major or minor within the Chapman University system does not guarantee ISS will be notified of this update. Students are responsible for maintaining their F-1 status, and that includes ensuring your immigration record correctly and accurately reflects your academic status.

Steps to change your major or minor

  1. Ensure your academic record is updated with the new major or minor. 
  2. Notify ISS of these changes within 10 days by filling out the Document Request Form and returning it to iss@chapman.edu
  3. ISS will add the change to your immigration SEVIS record.

Next steps after changing major

  • Change of major: ISS will issue you an updated I-20 Form.
  •  Change of minor: An updated I-20 Form will not be generated as this information is not printed on I-20 Forms.