» Travel Outside the U.S.

This F1 Student Travel Guide provides information for F1 students re-entering the U.S. after traveling abroad. Please contact International Student & Scholar Services in the Center for Global Education if you have any questions prior to leaving the country.

Toggle Section

Checklist Before you Travel

  • Travel signature on I-20: Make sure your I-20 has been signed in the travel authorization section within one year of your departure date.
  • Valid passport: Be sure your passport has not expired and that it will still be valid at least six months after the date you plan to re-enter the U.S.
  • Valid visa: Be sure the visa in your passport will still be valid on the date you plan to re-enter the U.S.
  • Visas for other countries: Be sure you have any visas needed to enter countries other than your own that you plan to visit. Go to www.embassy.org for a listing of foreign consulates in the U.S. to see if you might need a visa for the country to which you are traveling.
  • Leave of Absence: If you are taking a leave of absence for one semester or more, please contact ISS office.