• Flags from various countries fly around a fountain with a spherical metallic sculpture at its center in the Global Citizens Plaza at Chapman University
Graduate Admission

How to Apply as an International Student

» How to Apply as an International Student

Below, you'll find information on how to apply to Chapman as an international student. If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, but you attended a university outside the United States, please follow the guidelines below as well. Use this information in conjunction with the program-specific information on our How to Apply page.

Submitting Your Transcripts

As a part of your application, you will be asked to send us your official academic transcripts directly from every bachelor's degree (or higher) granting institution you've attended in both the original language and English. Translations of the document into English must be official word-for-word translations. 

If you are admitted to Chapman, you will also need to submit your diploma or degree certificate in both its original language and English.

You may have your school(s) send your official documents on your behalf electronically to admtranscript@chapman.edu or to:

Chapman University
Office of Graduate Admission
One University Drive
Orange, CA 92866

Please note: copies of official documents (unofficial)* may be submitted in the application for the application review process only. Upon acceptance into one of our programs, official and original documents will be required should you decide to attend Chapman. 

* Unofficial transcripts are accepted only for universities located outside the United States. If you are an international student and you obtained (or will obtain) your bachelor's degree (or higher) from a university located in the United States, then official transcripts from that university will be required. 

Toggle Section

GPA Evaluation

Once we have received your transcripts, we will conduct an in-house evaluation to determine what your GPA will be in the United States. Chapman does not accept outside evaluations.

Submitting Your Language Test Scores

Chapman's language of instruction is English. If you have not received a bachelor's degree (or higher) at an institute where English was the language of instruction, you must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official scores from an English language exam.

*If you are a U.S. citizen, but you obtained your bachelor's degree where English was not the language of instruction, you may be required to submit official scores from an English Language Proficiency Exam as part of your application. If you have any questions, you can email us at gradadmit@chapman.edu with more information about where you obtained your bachelor's degree, and we can confirm if you will need to submit English scores. 

*If the language of instruction of your degree program was in English at a university or institute where the language of instruction was not solely in English, then you will still need to provide official scores from an approved English exam. 

We accept the following English Language Proficiency Exams:

  • IELTS Academic
  • IELTS Indicator
  • TOEFL (both internet-based and paper-based)
  • TOEFL iBT at Home
  • PTE Academic
  • Cambridge C1 Advanced

Please note: we do not accept Duolingo scores or TOEFL Essentials Test scores for our graduate programs and Chapman does not offer an ESL program for international students. Additionally, we do not accept TOEFL MyBest scores.

You will need to submit official scores as part of your application. The minimum score requirements depend on which program you are applying to (please see the tabs below for your specific program):

Toggle Section


You will need an ETS code to submit your official TOEFL scores. These also depend on the program you're applying to:

MS in Communication Sciences and Disorders: 0690
Doctor of Physical Therapy: 7669
MS in Patient Safety, MS in Regulatory Affairs, MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences: 4315
All other programs: 4047