» Hazardous Materials & Waste

The Chapman University Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) office manages all laboratory, research, and medical waste including chemical, biological, and radioactive. Chemicals that are corrosive, flammable, toxic, or explosive are "hazardous." Some additional chemicals are managed as hazardous waste because they are known, probable or suspected carcinogens, teratogens, irritants and/or sensitizers.

EH&S also manages all general category hazardous waste that may be generated across the University to help ensure timely and environmentally appropriate disposal and recycling of these items.

This includes but is not limited to paint products, motor oil, fluorescent bulbs, batteries, electronic waste, etc. "Electronic waste" may be defined as discarded computers, office electronic equipment, entertainment device electronics, mobile phones, television sets, microwaves, telephones, calculators, digital cameras, and refrigerators. This includes used electronics which are destined for reuse, resale, salvage, recycling, or disposal.  Please contact EH&S if you are unsure of the status of an individual item.

Within Schmid College, researchers can use an online form to request a pickup of their waste products.   All other employees, including researchers, should request a pickup of their hazardous waste by emailing EHS@chapman.edu.

Toggle Section