» Resources for J-1 Scholars

J-1 status is used for those coming to Chapman University as visiting researchers, professors, and collaborators. They are called J-1 Exchange Visitors.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

The J-1 Visa was created "to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." -- U.S. Department of State

  • J-1 Exchange Visitors may receive a salary or stipend from various parties. They can receive funding from Chapman University, the government, private organizations, their current place of employment (outside the U.S.), or personal funds but the funding must meet the current living expense requirements.
  • The length of a J-1 Exchange Visitor's stay ranges depending on their J-1 type; however, the maximum stay is five years.

Types of J-1 Exchange Visitors

Within the overall J-1 visa status, there are several different types of visitor. Each Visa category (short term, research and professor) is used for different purposes and valid for varying lengths of time.


  • Visit purpose: To lecture, observe, consult, collaborate, attend seminars/workshops/conferences.
  • Position at CU: Visiting Affiliated Scholar
  • Duration of visit: 1 day - 6 months (Can’t be extended.)


  • Visit purpose: To conduct research (primary focus), observe, consult, teach, collaborate
  • Position at CU: Visiting Affiliated Scholar, Postdoctoral Fellow, Academic Professionals
  • Duration of visit: 3 weeks - 5 years


  • Visit purpose: To teach (primary focus), lecture, observe, consult, research, collaborate
  • Position at CU: Lecturer, Visiting Faculty, Visiting Scholar
  • Duration of visit: 3 weeks - 5 years

Toggle Section

Contact Us

J-1 Visa Support

Xochitl Lopez, PDSO, RO
Associate Director, International Programs
(714) 516-5511

Eileen Besner
Director, Faculty Advancement
(714) 997-6544