» Frequently Asked Questions

[5/2/20, updated]

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in regards to the animal care and use program at Chapman, including procedures and processes.  If your question is not answered, please contact the IACUC office at iacuc@chapman.edu.

Toggle Section

What training is needed?

The IACUC at Chapman requires that all persons working with vertebrate animals and conducting animal studies, including faculty, students, staff, and collaborators, possess training which is appropriate to the proposed usage.  That will include both factual knowledge and hands-on experience.  Go to the training tab for more information.

Accident/Injury associated with lab animals?

Notify your supervisor(s), contact Public Safety, and obtain medical services. 

Safety & Security Concerns / Public Safety  (714) 997-6763

Submit an incident report (on-line, as below) to the University’s Department of Risk Management.  Contact the Office of Environmental Health, EHS@chapman.edu.

https://www.chapman.edu/faculty-staff/risk-management/reporting.aspx  or



Need a copy of your CITI training record?

Follow this link for instructions from the CITI group on how to obtain and share your CITI training report.  You are able to determine whether your animal research welfare and regulations training needs to be renewed/updated.

Have a question about animal research at Chapman?

Contact the IACUC office or the Chapman Office of Research at 714.628.2805 for general questions.

See also this link: Reporting Animal Welfare Concerns

Are you a potential industry partner with Chapman?

Contact the Office of Sponsored Projects Services (OSPS) within the Office of Research at 714.628.2805 to learn more about collaborations.

Trouble getting into the Cayuse IACUC protocol application software?

The Cayuse software application (module) for the IACUC is used at Chapman to generate, process, and archive animal use protocols.  You must be authorized to gain access.  Refer to the Cayuse IACUC user authentication tab under the Cayuse Protocol Submission Process section.

If it appears that the reason is something else, contact the IACUC office.

Need help with the Cayuse IACUC protocol?

Review the "Overview of the Chapman University Cayuse IACUC Protocol Program" PowerPoint.  A draft (it is continuously being updated) is available at Chapman Cayuse training 2020 PPT for those with Chapman credentials.  It describes the mechanics of the protocol application and review processes. 

Contact the IACUC office for other help.  And make suggestions for the training PowerPoint.

Safety, animals, LAOHP, LAOHQ, RASQ, PPE, occupational health

All of these terms relate to working safely around and with animals.  The processes are addressed on the "Safety" tab.

Obtain information about enrolling in the Laboratory Animal Health Program, completing the Laboratory Animal Health Questionnaire in LearnUpon, from EH&S.

Who can be an IACUC PI - a Principal Investigator?

Per the tab "Principal Investigator Eligibility Policy" at the Office of Research, (December 9, 2016):

"A Principal Investigator is responsible for the intellectual direction, design, scientific or technical conduct, administrative conduct, and reporting of a research, training, or public service project. As such, the University recognizes one individual as the Principal Investigator and he/she must personally participate in the project to a significant degree and provide oversight on project activities. Proposals submitted for extramural funding or to the University regulatory oversight committees must name an eligible employee of the University to serve as Principal Investigator. In order to be designated as the PI on a proposal, sponsored project, or Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) protocol, an individual must be PI eligible"

What else might be needed to gain IACUC approval?

The answer depends upon the situation.  If working with biohazards, the IBC (Institutional Biosafety Committee) will likely be involved for those aspects.  If studying animals in the wild, permits might be required.  If doing surgery, additional training and a controlled substances license (analgesics) must be obtained.  If collaborating with investigators and colleagues at other institutions, agreements and MOUs (memoranda of understanding) will be exchanged.  Contact the IACUC office to discuss your specifics.

What/Who is the IO?

IO stands for institutional official and is the contact person for matters relating to animal usage between our university and the federal government.  At Chapman, the IO is Dr. Tom Piechota, VP of Research.

The OLAW/PHS definition is "'The individual who, as a representative of senior administration, bears ultimate responsibility for the Program and is responsible for resource planning and ensuring alignment of Program goals with the institution’s mission.' (Guide, p. 13)  The IO makes commitments on behalf of the institution to ensure compliance with the PHS Policy."