- Office Location:
- Kennedy Hall 419
- (714) 628-2657
- University of California, Santa Cruz, Bachelor of Arts
University of California, Los Angeles, Master of Arts
Georgetown University, Juris Doctor
Professor Ernst’s scholarship focuses on patent law and he teaches in the areas of intellectual property, contracts, and civil litigation practice. Prior to joining the Fowler School of Law in 2013, Professor Ernst was a partner at the international law firm of Covington & Burling in San Francisco, practicing intellectual property, commercial, and appellate litigation, while maintaining an active pro bono practice focusing on veterans disability recovery and homeless advocacy. In 2010, Professor Ernst was recognized by the Federal Circuit Bar Association for his work on behalf of veterans. In 2006 and 2008, he received a Certificate of Excellence from the Berkeley Food and Housing Project. Prior to joining the Fowler School of Law Professor Ernst taught pre-trial civil litigation at the UC Berkeley School of Law. Professor Ernst earned his JD Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown University Law Center. He has a BA in Modern Literary Studies from UC Santa Cruz and an MA in Comparative Literature from UCLA.
Professor Ernst's scholarly works:
- "Protecting the Boundaries: Unclaimed Consideration in the Patentee’s Social Contract," Tulane Journal of Technology & Intellectual Property, Volume 18 (forthcoming, 2015)
- "Introduction to the 2015 Chapman Law Review Symposium: Trolls or Toll-Takers: Do Intellectual Property Non-Practicing Entities Add Value to Society?," 2015 Chapman Law Review __ (forthcoming, 2015)
- "Patent Exhaustion for the Exhausted Defendant: Should Parties be Able to Contract Around Exhaustion in Settling Patent Litigation?," 2014 University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy 445 (2014) (peer reviewed).
- "Does the California Eraser Law Withstand Dormant Commerce Clause Scrutiny? Does it Do Any Good at All?, Orange County Lawyer, Vol 56, No. 7, July 2014, at 14
- The Honorable Timothy B. Dyk and Samuel F. Ernst, Patents, in Business and Commercial Litigation in the Federal Courts, (West 3d ed. 2011) (Robert L. Haig, ed.) (annual supplements in 2012, 2013, 2014 and forthcoming, 2015)
- Recent Creative, Scholarly Work and Publications
Patent Exhaustion for the Exhausted Defendant: Should Parties be Able to Contract Around Exhaustion in Settling Patent Litigation?, 2014 UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS JOURNAL OF LAW TECHNOLOGY & POLICY, Issue 2 at __ (forthcoming, 2014) (peer reviewed).
Does the California Eraser Law Withstand Dormant Commerce Clause Scrutiny? Does it Do Any Good at All?, ORANGE COUNTY LAWYER, Vol 56, No. 7, July 2014, at 14.
The Honorable Timothy B. Dyk and Samuel F. Ernst, Patents, in BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION IN THE FEDERAL COURTS, (West 3d ed. 2011) (Robert L. Haig, ed.) (annual supplements published in 2012, 2013, and forthcoming in 2014).