Blinded Justice: A Discussion About Whether The Legal System Values and Protects Diverse Communities
Thursday, March 3, 2016
1 - 8 p.m.
Kennedy Hall, Room 237
Presented by the Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law Diversity Initiative Symposium and Publication
Chapman University is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider and certifies that this activity has been approved for MCLE credit in the amount of 5.5 units of MCLE credit, including elimination of bias credit.
*Due to unforeseen personal circumstances, Paulette Brown will be unable to join the symposium.
Symposium panelists will discuss unequal justice in three substantive areas of law, addressing how diverse communities are impacted, ways they are responding, and exploring legal and policy solutions:
Panel I: Inequality: The Immigration and Asylum Process (1 - 2:30 p.m.) (View webcast)
Moderators: Darrell P. White, Esq., Orange County Hispanic Bar Association Chief Financial Officer; and Sasha Tymkowicz, Esq., Orange County Hispanic Bar Association Chief Financial Officer Board of Directors
- Munmeeth Soni, Esq., Immigration advocate with Public Law Center
- Farida Chehata, Esq.,Immigrants Rights Attorney at Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Julie Marzouk, Clinical Professor of Immigration at Fowler School of Law
- Jorge Gutierrez, Founder and Director of Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement
- Gary Silbiger, Esq., National Lawyers Guild, Immigration Court Watch Committee
Panel II: Impracticality: The School to Prison Pipeline (2:35 - 4:05 p.m.) (View webcast)
Moderator: Michael Gregg, Esq., Thurgood Marshall Bar Association President
- James Bell, Esq., Founder and Director of the W. Haywood Burns Institute
- Elizabeth Calvin, Esq., Senior Advocate for Children's Rights at Human Rights Watch
- Abraham Colunga, Tanisha Denard and Juan Peña, Members of Youth Justice Coalition, Community organization dedicated to systemic reform of the justice system that will improve outcomes for youth and families
Panel III: Impunity: The Criminal and Civil Justice Response to Violence Against Minorities (4:10 - 5:40 p.m.) (View webcast)
Moderator: Bobby Dexter, Professor at Fowler School of Law
- John L. Burris, Esq., Civil rights advocate and author of Blue vs. Black, Civil Rights Attorney for: Rodney King, Tupac Shakur and Oscar Grant
- Margaret Prescod, Founder of Black Alliance Fighting Back Serial Killers and host of Sojourner Truth radio show on Pacifica Radio
- Nana Gyamfi, Esq., Civil rights attorney and community activist
Dinner Keynote (6 - 8 p.m.) (View webcast)
Introduction: Kathy Esfahani, Esq., Senior Research Attorney at California Court of Appeal, 4th District, Division III
- Hamid Khan, Founder and Former Executive Director of South Asian Network, Campaign Coordinator for Stop LAPD Spying
Inquiries may be addressed to the Submissions Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.