Chapman Students
Undergraduate Financial Aid

» Federal & State Grants

What is the Cal Grant Award?  

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) provides three types of Cal Grants.

  • Cal Grant A is available only to students attending four-year schools.  Some students receive a “Cal Grant A Community College Reserve Award” while attending a community college.  This award is held in reserve for up to two years during community college attendance and can be used after transferring to Chapman.
  • Cal Grant B is provided to students from low-income households.  It is available to first-year students and can be received for up to four years.  You can receive a Cal Grant B for attendance at a community college and continue to receive it after you transfer to Chapman until the four-year maximum time period has been reached.  If you receive a Cal Grant B, both the tuition and access awards will be credited to your student account.  If you wish to have the access award paid directly to you, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Cal Grant C is furnished to vocational students and cannot be used at Chapman since all of your academic programs lead to degrees, graduate certificates, or teaching credentials.

If CSAC has awarded you a Cal Grant, you must enroll in at least six units in order to be eligible (unless you are a graduating senior in your final semester).

CSAC sets the parameters for awarding the Cal Grant each year.  In addition to a grade point average requirement of 3.00 for the Cal Grant A or 2.00 for the Cal Grant B, students and their families must show demonstrated financial need as well as have income and assets set within a particular range as determined by CSAC.

What is the Federal Pell Grant?

To apply for the Pell Grant, a student must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense.

If your award letter includes a Federal Pell Grant award, the amount has been determined based on full-time attendance (12 units or more).  If you will be taking less than 12 units, your award will be modified as follows: 9 through 11.5 units = 75% of the award; 6 through 8.5 units = 50% of the award.  Federal law requires that a Pell Grant be at least $200 per year.  If the modification results in an amount less than $200, the Pell Grant becomes forfeited.  In some instances, Pell Grants may be available to students enrolled in less than 6 units.  

More information about the Federal Pell Grant is available by the Department of Education.

What is the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)?

Students who have received a Federal Pell Grant and have the most financial need receive FSEOGs first.  The FSEOG is a grant that does not need to be repaid.

The FSEOG program is administered directly by the office at a college or career school that is responsible for preparing and communicating information on financial aid. This office helps students apply for and receive student loans, grants, scholarships and other types of financial aid at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid. Not all schools participate.  Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG.

The Federal Supplemental Grant is awarded to the lowest income applicants without baccalaureate degrees who are enrolled in at least 6 units.  Funds are extremely limited; many eligible students cannot be awarded.  Federal law permits these grants to range in size from $100 to $4,000.

More information about the FSEOG is available by the Department of Education.