Chapman graduate students outside at Chapman University
Graduate Financial Aid

» Graduate Financial Aid Information Guide

This Information Guide has been developed to help explain financial aid for graduate students at Chapman University and to acquaint students with the terms and conditions of receiving financial aid. The guide contains important information. Please bookmark this guide and contact the Office of Graduate Financial Aid if you need further information or have questions about any of the information provided here.

The information contained in this guide is current as of October 2019, and is subject to revision should federal, state, or institutional policies change. This guide is updated and revised each year.

The Office of Graduate Financial Aid makes every attempt to keep students informed on new laws and regulations. Students will be informed of changes via e-mail, letters, the website, and telephone communications. Students are strongly encouraged to check their Chapman University email often for communication from the Office of Graduate Financial Aid.

The Graduate Financial Aid Student Information Guide supersedes all previous guides and the policies expressed in the guide are controlling for the 2018-2019 academic year, regardless of any policies stated in any previous guide or in any other communication, verbal or written.

Toggle Section

Contact Information and Office Hours

Office of Graduate Financial Aid

Tel: (714)628-2730

Fax: (714)628-2571

Mailing Address:

Office of Graduate Financial Aid

Bhathal Hall, Suite 100

One University Drive     

Orange, CA 92866

Office Hours:

Main Campus (Orange) Bhathal Hall, Suite 100

Monday-Friday 9-5

Rinker Health Science Campus (Irvine) 9401 Jeronimo Road, Room 122

Monday-Thursday 9-5

During particularly busy times of the year, such as the first two weeks of the term, our hours may vary. We encourage students to call to confirm operating hours for the week.

Tools To Assist New Students

Chapman University and the U.S. Department of Education provide many tools to assist incoming students in understanding financial aid and the financial aid process as well as statistics for the University.

  • Chapman University Data Mart -The CU Data Mart gives you year-to-date and cross-year statistics as monitored by the CU Office of Institutional Research.
  • College Navigator – Maintained by the National Center for Education Statistics, College Navigator allows students to review a multitude of statistics about the University.

Rights and Responsibilities

Students have the right to know:

  • Dates and deadlines for submitting applications for aid.
  • What financial aid programs are available at Chapman University.
  • How financial need was determined and how much of your financial need was met.
  • What the cost of attendance is, including tuition, fees, books and cost of living allowance.
  • What resources, information and data are considered in the calculation of the family contribution and financial need.
  • What portion of the award are loans and what portion are scholarships.
  • Students have the right to know the total amount that must be repaid, the length of time they have to repay the loans and when repayment will begin.
  • How financial aid funds are distributed.
  • The refund policies of Chapman University.
  • How Chapman determines satisfactory progress and what happens if a student withdraws, is dismissed or drops out during the year.
  • The procedure for appealing decisions, if they believe they have been treated unfairly.  

Students have the responsibility to:

  • Read and understand all information regarding the academic and financial aid programs.
  • Understand and agree to maintain compliance for all policies and regulations when you accept financial aid.
  • Be aware of and comply with the deadlines for applications and re-applications for financial aid.
  • Read, understand and agree to the conditions of all forms you are asked to sign. Keep copies of these forms for your records.
  • Be careful and accurate in completing all forms and applications. Intentional misreporting of information on forms and documents used to apply and qualify for financial assistance is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense, subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • Submit all applications, forms, documents and additional information (if requested) in a timely manner, to the Graduate Financial Aid Office and/or any agency that is a partner of the financial aid process.
  • Complete entrance and exit interview counseling as required by federal regulations.
  • Open and read all mail sent by the Graduate Financial Aid Office to home, student mailbox, and/or announcements on the financial aid and student bulletin boards.
  • Inform the Graduate Financial Aid Office in writing if you receive additional funds from any other source after you receive financial aid from Chapman University. Additional awards frequently require an adjustment in your total award to avoid an "over-award" as defined by federal and state regulations.
  • Maintain good academic standing and feet the requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Be aware that any change from your original program during the financial aid award year may affect your future eligibility for aid.
  • Inform the Graduate Financial Aid Office in writing of any changes in circumstances, such as failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress, any change in residence or telephone number, any new financial resources that become available to you, any change in marital status or name, and your withdrawal from Chapman University.
  • Repay loan funds when due.
  • Open, read, and understand all correspondence sent to you by your lender, servicer, guarantor, or any agency that is a partner of the financial aid process.
  • Inform the lender of your student loans if you have a change of name, address, telephone number or school status.

Application Procedure

  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be used to determine your eligibility for all federal financial aid programs. When completing the FAFSA, “Chapman University, One University Drive, Orange, CA” must be stated in the section that requires you to indicate which colleges are to receive the FAFSA information. The Chapman University Federal School Code is 001164. Students attending at the Rinker Health Science Campus should also use this code.
  2. You can complete the FAFSA electronically. When filing electronically you will need to establish an FSA login and password. Your login and password will remain the same for various federal websites and will act as your signature on federal documents such as the FAFSA and loan promissory notes.
  3. The FAFSA can be completed after October 1 of the year that precedes the academic year for which you are applying. To avoid errors and delays, it is advantageous to complete the FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). Using the IRS DRT will provide the Office of Graduate Financial Aid with the most accurate information. Note: FAFSA asks for tax information from the prior-prior year, so, for 2019-2020, 2017 tax information will be used, and for 2020-21 you will use 2018 tax information.
  4. The Federal Government may ask for additional documentation if the data in your FAFSA contains any inconsistencies, or doesn't match various database information, or if you are randomly selected for a process called Verification. If your application is selected, you will be required to provide additional documents such as a copy of the Federal Income Tax Return Transcript, proof of citizenship, proof of marital status, etc. Instructions can be found on your Student Center detailing what additional documentation is required to complete your application. An aid offer will not be made until all required documents have been submitted and reviewed.

Tips for Applying

When you apply for financial aid, you will be asked to provide a considerable amount of detailed information. It is extremely important that the information is accurate. Take your time when filling out the forms. Inaccurate data will cause delays. Also, be aware that most graduate students are considered Independent, thus parent information is not required on the FAFSA (Exception – Teaching Credential Students not in a Master’s program are considered 5th year Undergraduate Students and parent information may be required).

If you have any questions regarding completion of the FAFSA or any required documents or forms, please contact the Office of Graduate Financial Aid.

Renewal of Assistance

Financial Aid may be renewed for successive years, but you must apply for it each school year by completing a FAFSA, or renewal FAFSA.

Fellowship/Scholarship: Students receiving these awards should refer to their original offer letters for the specific criteria of renewal. Students can also check with their school or department for the criteria to renew these awards.  A FAFSA is usually not required to receive or renew a merit fellowship or scholarship.

The specific amount of financial aid awarded to you may differ each year. These differences could be the result of several factors including changes in law and regulations, and/or changes in tuition charges and other expenses.

Cost of Attendance

The costs associated with attending Chapman University can be divided into two categories: instructional and non-instructional. Instructional costs consist of tuition, fees, books, and supplies. These costs are the same, or nearly the same, for each individual enrolled in a program.

Non-instructional costs include rent, utilities, food, transportation, and other personal expenses.

In accordance with standards established by federal law, the Office of Graduate Financial Aid has developed estimates of non-instructional costs that are based on federal criteria.  Your actual expenses may be different. The cost estimates do not include expenses for child care or excessive medical expenses or excessive transportation costs. If you have these expenses and they are not being covered by assistance from a government or private agency, you may request an increase in your federal loan eligibility by completing a Budget Increase Request on our Forms Page and submitting to the Office of Graduate Financial Aid.  These costs will be reviewed and a determination of additional eligibility will be made. Please complete the form after you have received your first award letter and have determined the assistance you have been offered is insufficient to enable you to attend school.

Be sure to check out the current Cost of Attendance.

Payment Plan

Chapman University offers a payment plan to help you spread your expenses over the semester. This payment plan works in conjunction with your financial aid. Details about this program are available from the Office of Student Business Services.

Determining Your Award

After your eligibility has been determined, Chapman University will make an offer of financial aid. The Office of Graduate Financial Aid will likely combine funds from various aid programs into a “package” of assistance.

Fellowships/scholarships may be awarded by your individual department. These may be awarded as a designated dollar amount or as a percentage of the tuition cost. Fellowships or scholarships are eligible to cover tuition only, they cannot exceed the cost of tuition.

Federal Direct Loans are awarded after any fellowship/scholarships have been considered. Graduate students can receive up to $20,500 in Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan per year. Teaching Credential students can be awarded up to $12,500 (some of which may be Subsidized).  Students in the Pharm D program can be awarded up to $37167 in Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan per year. The Graduate PLUS Loan can be used to fill in any remaining gaps in cost.  Please keep in mind the Graduate PLUS does require a credit worthy applicant.

Federal Work Study may be available, but is not automatically awarded to graduate students.  Since many graduate programs are particularly rigorous, outside work may not be recommended. Students who are interested in work study should contact the Office of Graduate Financial Aid to find out if they are eligible. Recipients of these awards are contingent upon finding an on-campus job.

Accepting Your Awards

The Office of Graduate Financial Aid will notify students when they have been awarded financial aid. New students will receive an award letter in the mail. Returning students will be notified via their Chapman University email address that the award can be viewed through their Student Portal.

All fellowships and scholarships will be automatically accepted.

Students may accept or decline the loans online using the Student Portal.

For most financial aid programs, assistance will be posted to the student’s account up to 10 days before the start of classes each term, provided they are registered in the expected number of units. For students who receive award letters or accept aid after the start of classes, disbursement will take place as soon as possible after all requirements are met.

For students receiving a fellowship or scholarship based on a percentage of tuition in a program with tuition charged per unit, initial awards will be based on an estimated unit load.  The fellowship or scholarship will be revised at the beginning of the term and again after add/drop to ensure that the fellowship is awarded correctly. Please be aware that if students drop classes after the fellowship has disbursed they may be responsible for returning some funds to the university.

First time loan borrowers at Chapman University must participate in online loan counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to receiving funds. (See “Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling”).

For most students, loan funds are disbursed up to 10 days before the first day of the term provided the aforementioned requirements are met and the student is enrolled at least half-time.

If disbursement of financial aid results in a credit balance on the student’s account, the Office of Student Business Services can issue a refund in the amount of the credit balance. Please contact the Office of Student Business Services for more information.

Awards Not Indicated on Your Award Letter/Student Portal

Students must notify the Office of Graduate Financial Aid immediately if they are receiving an award not listed on their initial award letter or Student Portal or if their enrollment status or housing status should change as these changes may impact their current award.

This includes any Federal, State, Institutional, or private awards students are receiving.

Loan Entrance Counseling and MPN

The Federal Government requires that students who receive loan funds for the first time at Chapman University must complete Federal Loan Counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for each loan they are requesting. No funds can be released until these requirements have been met.  Step-by-step instructions for online loan counseling and completion of the MPN can be found on the Loans page.

Loan Entrance Counseling can be completed online at Please do not email any PDFs, as we require the electronic documents sent directly from the Department of Education.

For students who receive a credit decision of “denied” on the Graduate PLUS Loan, additional loan counseling is required, even if the credit decision is appealed or if an endorser is added.  The additional counseling is called “PLUS Counseling” and can be completed online at

Loan Exit Counseling

The Federal Government requires that all students leaving the University for any reason (even temporarily) complete Loan Exit counseling. This requirement applies even if the student intends to return to Chapman University after a leave of absence.

Students will need their FSA ID, the name, address, and telephone number of their next of kin, two references, and employer after graduation (if they have one). At the end of the loan counseling, students will be given an exam, to test their understanding of the material.  The results of the completed loan counseling will be sent to the Office of Graduate Financial Aid electronically.

Withdrawal from the University

Return of Financial Aid Funds (R2T4)

Federal law requires that financial aid funds be returned to the government if students withdraw during the first 60% of a term, as measured in days. The amount of funds that must be returned is determined by dividing the amount of time in the term that a student was not enrolled by the length of time in the term.

For example: the student is enrolled in a semester that is 15 weeks long (105 days). If a student were to withdraw at the end of the fifth week (35 days), the student would have missed 70 days of the semester. Dividing 70 days missed by 105 days in the semester equals 66.7 percent. The university would be required to return 66.7 percent of this student’s financial aid to the government.

This federal policy has several implications. For instance, in the previous example, the student withdrew after the deadline for receiving tuition and fee refund. The student would thus be charged for the entire amount of tuition, but 66.7 percent of the student’s financial aid would be returned to the government, making the student personally liable for paying at least 66.7 percent of the tuition charges.

A student who withdraws during the first four weeks of school will receive a tuition refund, but this refund usually does not offset all the financial aid that must be returned to the government. Please know that financial aid recipients who withdraw during the first 60% of a semester, will likely owe additional money to pay for tuition and other expenses.

Withdrawal Procedure and Date of Withdrawal

The Federal Government requires that there be at least one “official withdrawal office” at each university. At Chapman University, the official withdrawal office is the Office of the Law Registrar for JD and LLM students, and the Office of the University Registrar for all other students.

The Federal Government has defined two types of withdrawal. An “unofficial” withdrawal occurs when a student leaves school without notifying the Registrar. Students who do not officially withdraw and pass no units in a semester or summer session are presumed to have unofficially withdrawn unless they provide the Office of Graduate Financial Aid with documentation showing they attended classes through the end of the enrollment period. Such documentation must be presented within 30 days of the end of the enrollment period.

In cases of unofficial withdrawal, the Federal Government requires that half the student’s financial aid be returned. Since the student’s tuition charges would not change, students who unofficially withdraw will become liable for paying at least half their tuition, and perhaps more if they used financial aid to cover living or other expenses.

An “official” withdrawal occurs when a student notifies the official withdrawal office that they are leaving the university.

Establishing an official withdrawal date is critical for determining the size of tuition refund (if the withdrawal is prior to the end of the first four weeks of school) and for determining the amount of financial aid that must be returned to the Federal Government. The Federal Government requires that the financial aid withdrawal date is the date the student informs the official office of their intent to withdraw.

The Office of the University Registrar can be informed verbally or in writing.  The date of the announcement becomes the financial aid withdrawal date. The Office of the University Registrar requires students to complete and submit a withdrawal form.  The date the Office of the University Registrar is contacted is the financial aid withdrawal date even if the withdrawal form is never returned.  It is vital students be certain of your decision to withdraw from school before they inform the Registrar.

Only the Office of the University Registrar can establish the withdrawal date. If students inform a faculty member, the Office of Graduate Financial Aid, or even the University president,  they wish to withdrawal, no action will be taken. Students must inform the Office of the University Registrar.

The Office of the University Registrar is not permitted to accept a date in the future as a withdrawal date. For instance, students may not advise the Office of the University Registrar during the sixth week of classes that they intend to withdraw during the tenth week (in order to avoid losing some of your financial aid), the Office of the University Registrar is required to use the date the announcement is made as the withdrawal date. Again, federal regulations require that the withdrawal date is the date a student states their intentions to the appropriate Registrar, not the date students complete the withdrawal process.

Students must complete the entire withdrawal procedure in order to receive “W” grade for any classes.

Exceptions to Policy

Federal law requires the return of student financial aid funds for students who unofficially withdraw or who withdraw during the first 60 percent of a term. The law does not allow any exceptions.

The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or the Dean of each graduate school, however, can grant larger tuition refunds for extraordinary circumstances (for instance, illness) that prevent a student from attending classes. All students are encouraged to discuss their situations with appropriate personnel before deciding to withdraw.

Outside Awards

By law, all financial aid recipients are obligated to notify the Office of Graduate Financial Aid if receiving scholarships, grants, or loans from a source outside of the university. Federal regulations require that the combination of a student’s total awards cannot exceeded the student’s Cost of Attendance. If a student’s eligibility has not been met, a change to their award may not be necessary. In some cases, outside awards may cause an adjustment to a student’s current eligibility.  In all cases, the Office of Graduate Financial Aid will attempt to reduce loans and work study before touching fellowships and scholarships.

Admission Requirement

In order to receive financial aid, federal law requires that students be admitted to the university without any restrictions.  This includes the number of units they may take or the number of semesters in which they can enroll. Most students are admitted without any limitations, but enrollment restrictions are placed on some graduate students who are admitted conditionally or provisionally. As a result, financial aid is unavailable until appropriate documents are submitted to the Office of Graduate Admission, and the student’s status is changed to regular admission.


For most federal and state financial aid programs, students must enroll at least part-time (4.5 units for most graduate students, 6 units for JD students). All classes must be applicable to the student’s degree.

Classes offered as “extended education” are not eligible for financial funding and cannot be used to determine part-time or full-time status.

Federal rules permit students to receive financial aid from only one school at a time. If you are attending another college, university, vocational, or another school, you must decide if you would like to apply for assistance from Chapman University or from the other school.  Classes counted toward enrollment specified on your award letter must be taken only at Chapman University.

Interterm Enrollment

For the purpose of determining financial aid eligibility, interterm enrollment is combined with spring semester enrollment. For instance, a graduate student would be considered full-time if enrolled in three units during interterm and six units during spring semester (for a total of nine). Federal regulations require students to enroll at least part-time to be eligible for assistance from most aid programs.

Graduate students may be charged tuition for interterm classes. Financial aid may be available to assist these students with tuition charges only. If so, all assistance can only be disbursed after the start of spring semester. Interterm enrollment usually consists of no more than three units, which is less-than-half-time. Only when students start attending spring semester can they achieve a part-time attendance status.

Summer Enrollment

The academic year for students in the Graduate School of Health Sciences is automatically assumed to be the full calendar year, split in three trimesters (including summer). Students in other graduate or law programs are given an initial aid offer that covers the standard fall/spring academic year (9 months). For students who take at least a half-time course load in the summer semester who have exhausted their academic year aid eligibility and need additional assistance to cover summer, will need to complete a Summer Application. It is recommended that the student fill out the form once they have registered for summer courses so that the Office of Graduate Financial Aid can increase the student’s budget and award financial aid accurately.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal Law requires that financial aid recipients maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their educational objectives in order to receive federal financial aid. The law encourages students to maintain specific minimum grade point averages, satisfactory complete a specific number of units each term or year, and finish their educational objectives within a specific period of time. The law further requires that all terms of attendance be considered, including terms in which financial aid was not received.

For programs more than one year in length, academic records will be evaluated at the end of each academic year to determine if satisfactory academic progress standards are achieved. Programs that are one academic year in length academic records are evaluated at the end of each term. To continue receiving federal aid the following minimum academic standards must be met:

Qualitative Measure

Graduate students must maintain grade point averages sufficient to allow their continued enrollment as stated in the university catalog. This requirement is monitored by the Registrar and each graduate school.

Graduate students may not have a current or cumulative GPA less than 2.000.


The only grades that meet satisfactory academic progress standards are A, B, C, D, and P.  Withdrawal (W),    incomplete (I), not passing (NP) and “F” grades are not passing grades.  Challenge exams, audited courses,     and non-credit enrichment courses are not considered.

Grades are required when evaluating satisfactory academic progress.  Students who have not been graded (i.e. have grades missing from their official transcripts) for a prior period of enrollment cannot be evaluated for satisfactory academic progress and are there for suspended from financial aid.  Eligibility will be restored when the missing grades are reported, and the student meets all applicable satisfactory academic progress standards.

Quantitative Measure

Graduate students must complete at least two-thirds of all the units recorded on their official graduate transcripts from the time of first attendance in a graduate program at Chapman.  Thus, a first semester student who enrolls in 9 units, withdraws from three units, and successfully completes the remaining six units, would be meeting the quantitative measure requirement since the student passed at least two-thirds (6 out of 9) of the units in which he or she enrolled.

This policy applies to cumulative units only.  Thus, a student who successfully completes 21 units without withdrawing from any classes and then enrolls in six units but withdraws from them would still be making satisfactory progress because the student would have completed 21 out of 27 total units, which is greater than two-thirds.  

Time Limit

Students must complete their educational objectives within a reasonable period of time.  To accommodate all graduate students and their schedules, this “reasonable period” is not measured chronologically, but by the number of semester hours that are recorded on the student’s graduate transcript.  The time limit is based on the number of units required for graduation multiplied by 150 percent.  For instance, students who are required to earn 30 semester hours for graduation can apply for financial aid for the first 45 hours in which they enroll (30 units times 150 percent).

This policy refers to all semester hours in which a student enrolls.  Thus, a student who enrolls in nine units but withdraws from three would be considered to have utilized nine units of the maximum number allowed.

Students must complete their educational objectives within a reasonable period of time.  To accommodate all graduate students and their schedules, this “reasonable period” is not measured chronologically, but by the number of semester hours that are recorded on the student’s graduate transcript.  The time limit is based on the number of units required for graduation multiplied by 150 percent.  For instance, students who are required to earn 30 semester hours for graduation can apply for financial aid for the first 45 hours in which they enroll (30 units times 150 percent).

This policy refers to all semester hours in which a student enrolls.  Thus, a student who enrolls in nine units but withdraws from three would be considered to have utilized nine units of the maximum number allowed.

Reinstatement of Eligibility

 Reinstatement by Improved Academic Record

Graduate students who did not successfully complete at least two thirds of their units during an evaluation period will have their aid reinstated when they achieve completion of at least two-thirds. 

There is no reinstatement for students who exceed the time limit except by petition.

Probation by Petition 

Students may appeal for reinstatement from suspension if they, a spouse, or dependent children, have experienced, illness that prevented class attendance for an extended period of time; they have experienced a death in the immediate family (parents, siblings, spouse, or dependent children); or they have experienced some extraordinary situation that prevented them from meeting the minimum standards.

In cases of illness or disability, a letter of explanation is needed from a health care provider.

In cases of death, the student must provide a copy of the death certificate, funeral program, or obituary notice from a reputable newspaper.

In cases of mitigating circumstance, the student must provide a written explanation of the cause of the problem and how it has been resolved.  The student should provide as much appropriate supporting documentation as possible.

Exceptions to federal policy can be made only for mitigating circumstances that are exceptional and non-recurring in nature. 

The appeal for reinstatement from suspension must be in writing and must explain the cause of the academic difficulty and how the situation has been resolved.  If the reason for the non-satisfactory academic progress is that the time limit has been exceeded, the student also must provide a copy of his or her degree audit indicating the classes that have been taken and those still needed for graduation.

Students may appeal for reinstatement and be put on SAP Probation a maximum of two times during their attendance at Chapman.

Federal Aid Programs – Work Study

Federal Work Study allows students to earn funds to assist in paying for anything included in the Cost of Attendance. Graduate students are not automatically awarded work study. I a student would like to receive works study, typically they will pursue employment with the Office of Student Employment first, and then visit the Office of Graduate Financial aid to assess eligibility and add work study to the awards. Graduate students must be enrolled at least half time in order to utilize Federal Work Study. A Federal Work Study award does not automatically qualify a student for a job. As with any job, students will need to meet the qualifications specified by the employing department. A listing of job openings is kept in the Office of Student Employment. Student employees are paid bi-weekly. Payroll checks are available from the Cashier’s Office.

A student may work up to 19 hours per week.

Pay rates are the same or comparable to non-Work-Study jobs.  No job pays less than the current state set minimum wage.

Work-Study is a need-based financial aid award.

Federal Aid Programs - Loans

Federal Direct Loans

If you are awarded a Federal Direct Loan, information about the application procedures will be included with your award letter. There are two types of Federal Direct Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. A subsidized loan is one in which the Federal Government pays the interest during deferment periods. Subsidized are not available to graduate students (with the exception of students enrolled in the teaching credential program who are considered 5th year undergraduates). Students are always responsible for paying the interest on unsubsidized loans. Your annual borrowing limit may be affected by the cumulative amount you have already borrowed. Aggregate loan limits are explained in the loan application, Chapman University's financial aid webpage, and publications from the U.S. Department of Education. First-time borrowers must participate in loan counseling, which will further acquaint them with all terms and conditions of the loan and of their obligations as a borrower. The information includes interest rates, deferments, forbearance, loan consolidation, consequences of default, borrowing limits, how to estimate monthly payments, etc. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in order to receive a Federal Direct Loan. Loan exit counseling is required whenever you leave school, or any time you are enrolled less-than-half-time.

Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans

Students with qualifying credit can borrow a Direct Grad PLUS Loan to help meet their educational expenses.

Defaulting on Federal Loans

There are many consequences of defaulting on a student loan, such as:

  • The defaulted borrower will be unable to receive further financial aid.
  • Credit bureaus will be notified of the default, which will affect the defaulted borrower's ability to obtain credit for other purposes.
  • Legal action will be undertaken and the defaulted borrower will be responsible for paying all attorney and court costs. The legal action may include garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts, and placement of liens against the property.
  • If these actions do not resolve the default, the Federal Government will use all means at its disposal to college the loans including: obtaining the borrower's address from the Internal Revenue Service, referring the borrower's default status and other relevant information to credit bureaus, initiating legal proceedings against the borrower, offsetting the salary of the borrower if he or she is a federal employee, and withholding money (including income tax refunds) otherwise payable to the borrower by the Federal Government. 

Chapman University Aid Programs – Grants and Scholarships

Academic Scholarships

Graduate fellowships and scholarships are awarded by the individual schools or departments.  Each school establishes the requirements to be considered for these awards.   Students should contact the department coordinators to obtain more information.

Disciples of Christ and United Church of Christ Awards

These scholarships are awarded through the Office of Church Relations. Funds are provided by Chapman University and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ in recognition of participation in church activities.

Endowed and Annual Scholarships

Funds to provide these awards have been donated by generous individuals or companies to benefit Chapman University students. An opportunity to meet the donor and write a letter of appreciation may be an expectation of the recipient.

Disbursement of Funds

Graduate financial aid awards begin disbursing up to 10 days prior to the first day of the semester or trimester with the exception of the spring trimester for the Rinker campus and the Law school (due to the timing of the campus winter break). Disbursement of funds may be delayed if there are pending checklist items.

Financial Aid Refunds

Once funds have disbursed to students accounts, any credit balance can be requested to be used for books and supplies, living expenses, transportation, etc. Students should contact the Business Office directly to facilitate a timely refund. 

Searching for Outside Scholarships

The Office of Graduate Financial Aid encourages all students to conduct a continuous search for outside scholarships to help reduce their overall bill.  Some useful resources include:

Scholly: Scholly is a simple, comprehensive and accurate scholarship search platform designed for your smartphone.  Scholly was featured on Shark Tank.

Fastweb: A free, targeted website designed to help students search for scholarships.

As a reminder, federal regulations require all students to report scholarship and grant funds, no matter the amount or disbursement method, to the Office of Graduate Financial Aid.

iGrad Financial Literacy

Chapman University offers students free access to financial literacy information through iGrad.

Students can learn about budgeting, credit, loan repayment, career planning, scholarship searches and more.

To create a free profile students can visit iGrad.

Federal and State Government Resources

Create a Federal Student Aid Login and Password

FAFSA on the Web

California Student Aid Commission

Selective Service Administration

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

Department of Education's Comprehensive Guide to Student Aid

To request a duplicate Student Aid Report (SAR): (800) 433-3243

To find out who your student loan lender is: (800) 433-3243

Federal Student Aid Information Center (800) 433-3243

Federal Student Loan Ombudsman (877) 557-2575

Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-1040

Social Security Administration (800) 772-1213

Selective Service (847) 688-6888

California Student Aid Commission (916) 445-0880