Dr. Mary R. Kennedy
- California State University, Fullerton, Bachelor of Arts
California State University, Fullerton, Master of Arts
University of Washington, Ph.D.
- Adult language & cognitive disorders
- Traumatic brain injury
- Cognitive rehabilitation and brain injury
- Group intervention studies in the cognitive rehabilitation of individuals with traumatic brain injury: Challenges faced by researchers.: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M. R. T. & Turkstra, L., Neuropsychology Review, in press .
- Evidence based practice for the use of external aids as a memory rehabilitation technique.: Kennedy, Mary, Sohlberg, M. M., Kennedy, M. R. T., Avery, J., Coelho, C., Turkstra, L., Ylvisaker, M., & Yorkston, K., Journal of Medical Speech Pathology,, 15(1) , 2007.
- Self-regulation after traumatic brain injury: A framework for intervention of memory and problem solving.: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M. R. T. & Coelho, C., Seminars in Speech & Language, 26 242-255, 2005.
- Instructional techniques in cognitive rehabilitation: A preliminary report.: Kennedy, Mary, Sohlberg, M. M. & Ehlardt, L., Seminars in Speech & Language, 26 268-279, 2005.
- The self-monitoring approach for effective learning.: Kennedy, Mary, Dunlosky, J., Hertzog, C., Kennedy, M., & Thiede, K., Cognitive Techology, 10 4-11, 2005.
- The effects of frontal injury on self-monitoring during verbal learning by adults with diffuse brain injury: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M. R. T. & Yorkston, K. M., Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 14(4) 449-465, 2004.
- Predicting recall across verbal learning tasks after traumatic brain injury: A preliminary study: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M. R. T., American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 13(2) 142-154, 2004.
- Predictions of recall and study strategy decisions after brain injury: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M.R.T., Carney, E. & Peters, S. M., Brain Injury, 17 1043-1064, 2003.
- Delayed predictions of narrative recall after traumatic brain injury: Salience and Explicitness: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M.R.T. & Nawrocki, M., Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research, 46 98-112., 2003.
- Evidence based practice for attention deficits after traumatic brain injury: A review of the literature: Kennedy, Mary, Sohlberg, M, Avery, J., Kennedy, M.R.T., Coelho, C., Ylvisaker, M. & Turkstra, L., Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 11, 3 xix-xxxix, 2003.
- Retrospective confidence judgments made by adults with traumatic brain injury: Relative and absolute accuracy: Kennedy, Mary, Kennedy, M.R.T., Brain Injury, 15(6) 469-487, 2001.
- Accuracy of metamemory after traumatic brain injury: Predictions during verbal learning: Kennedy, Mary, K.M. Yorkston, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 43 072-1086, 2000.
- Topic scenes in conversations with adults with right-hemisphere brain damage: Kennedy, Mary, American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 9(1) 72-86, 2000.
- Treatment approaches in communication disorders: Kennedy, Mary, Yorkston, K.M. & Kennedy, M.R.T., Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Co., Rehabilitation of the adult and child with traumatic brain injury, 284-296, 1999.
- Executive functions and metacognition after brain injury: We investigate the intersection of these higher cortical process with memory & language
- Evidence-based Practice: We conduct systematic reviews and critique the research on cognitive rehabilitation for individuals with brain injury, and create recommendations
- President-Elect: Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences (ANCDS) , 2006 - 2008
- Associate Editor: Journal of Speech, Language, & Hearing Research , 2006- - present
- Chair: Practice Guidelines Writing Committee on Cognitive-Communication After Traumatic Brain Injury (ANCDS) , 2001 - present
- Director of Graduate Studies: Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences, UMN , 2005 - present
- Associate member: The Center for Cognitive Sciences, University of Minnesota , 1999
- Member: Brain Injury Association of Minnesota , 1998 - present
- Member: American Speech, Language, & Hearing Association , 1980 - present
- Service Learning Faculty Fellowship Award, 2004 - 2005