2005 Center for Global Trade and Development Symposium
International Law Confronts the Global Economy: Labor Rights, Human Rights, and Democracy in Distress.
In February 2005, the Center held a two-day conference on International Law and the Global Economy entitled International Law Confronts the Global Economy: Labor Rights, Human Rights, and Democracy in Distress. It brought together leading scholars from around the world to discuss the impact of globalization on democracy and the rule of law, with particular emphasis on human rights, workers' rights, and the environment.
The conference papers were published as a symposium issue in vol. 8 of the Chapman Law Review (2005).
Some of our other recent past participants and published contributors have included:
- Howard F. Chang, Professor of Law, University of Pennsylvania School of Law
- Dr. David Ellerman, Visiting Scholar, University of California at Riverside, and former World Bank Senior Economist
- Lakshman D. Guruswamy, Nicholas Doman Professor of International Environmental Law, and Director, Energy Environmental Security Initiative, University of Colorado at Boulder
- The Honorable C. Donald Johnson, Director, Dean Rusk Center for International, Comparative and Graduate Legal Studies, The University of Georgia; former United States Trade Ambassador
- Chief Arthur Manuel, Chairperson, Indigenous Network on Economics and Trade
- Ved P. Nanda, Vice Provost, John Evans University Professor, Thompson G. Marsh Professor of Law and Director, International Legal Studies Program, The University of Denver
- Michael D. Ramsey, Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Lawv
- Dr. Ellen Israel Rosen, Professor Emeritus of Sociology, Nichols College
- Dr. Wayne Sandholtz, Professor of Political Science, University of California at Irvine
- Dr. Sabine Schlemmer-Schulte, Professor, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law; former World Bank Senior Counsel
- Jon M. Van Dyke, Professor of Law, William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii at Manoa