Through Chapman University Fowler School of Law's Externship Program, students are given the rewarding opportunity to attain real-world experience by working for judges, government agencies, corporations, public interest organizations and more.
With guidance from Externship Director Carolyn Young Larmore, externship students develop the practical skills, poise and confidence necessary to be effective practitioners in the courtroom, law office or corporate legal department. Students may complete two part-time externships for a total of eight (8) units, or a single full-time judicial externship for 10 units, both of which satisfy the Lawyering Skills graduation requirement.
Fowler School of Law externship opportunities have included:
- Courts: U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; U.S. District Court; U.S. Bankruptcy Court; California Court of Appeal; California Superior Court
- Business and Tax Law: Allergan, Inc.; CoreLogic; California State Board of Equalization; Internal Revenue Service; Kia Motors; U.S. Attorney’s Office (tax division); U.S. Small Business Administration
- Criminal Law: District Attorney (Los Angeles/Riverside/Orange counties); Public Defender (Los Angeles/Orange counties); Judge Advocate General Corps - California National Guard; U.S. Attorney’s Office (criminal division)
- Employment and Labor Law: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Environmental, Land Use and Real Estate Law: Building Industry Legal Defense; Heal the Bay; Surfrider Foundation
- Entertainment Industry: Angels Baseball LLP; Lionsgate Entertainment; MTV Networks; Screen Actors Guild; William Morris Endeavor
- Federal, State and Local Government: Anaheim City Attorney’s Office; Attorney General of California (multiple units); Office of Medicare Hearings and Appeals; Orange County Office of the County Counsel
- Immigration Law: Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR); Legal Aid Society of Orange County; U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement
- Public Interest Law: ACLU of Southern California; Bet Tzedek; Children’s Law Center; Disability Rights Legal Center; Legal Aid Society of Orange County; Public Law Center
In addition, students may present new externship opportunities to the program director, who will help determine if an externship is available or appropriate. For example, in 2008, the Fowler School of Law established a new externship program with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim upon the request of a third year student who had made initial contact with the team.
For details about available externship placements, application requirements, program policies, interview tips, and more, current students should visit the Externship Program page on TWEN.
Please feel free to contact us:
Carolyn Young Larmore, Director
Phone: (714) 628-2651