Master of Arts (MA) in English
The Master of Arts in English is designed for students seeking continuing education, a foundation for doctoral work (PhD, EdD, JD) and/or a credential qualifying them to teach literature and composition courses at junior and community colleges. Full-time students complete the degree in two years. All graduate classes are offered in the late afternoon or evening.
Why the MA?
- A wide range of small seminars in literature, rhetoric and composition, cultural studies and digital humanities.
- Literary events that bring national/international authors to campus and literature to life.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantships and innovative Graduate Assistantships for select students in the second year of study.
- Flexible scheduling with classes offered in late afternoon and evening and part-time options.
- Welcoming to in-service teachers seeking additional credentials as well as students interested in building a foundation for doctoral work or law school.
- Our MA alums find employment in the fields of teaching, marketing and publishing and have gone on to pursue the PhD.
The culmination of each MA student's degree program is a thesis project in literature or rhetoric. For further information on degree prerequisites, admission requirements and a list of courses view the Graduate Course Catalog.