• American flag flying
Student Banking

International Student Services

» Student Banking

International students are eligible to open a U.S. bank account. You do not need a social security number to open a bank account in the U.S.

International students/scholars will need the following documents to open a U.S. bank account:

  • Valid passport
  • F/J Visa
  • Valid I-20/DS-2019
  • I-94 Printout
  • Permanent residence address (address outside of the U.S.)
  • U.S. physical address (only one document is required):
    • Government issued ID with photo
    • Current utility bill / rental agreement
    • "Letter of Residency" from Chapman’s Housing department. Request one at reslife@chapman.edu
  • Additional form of identification
    • Driver’s license (U.S. or foreign)
    • Chapman Student ID
    • Debit or credit card

Banking Options Near Campus

It is important you research your banking options to see which one best fits your financial needs. The following banks are within 2 miles (3 kilometers) of our Orange Campus.


International Student Services provides general guidance. Any advice provided to you by the ISS should not be construed as legal advice.

Additionally, due to the fluid nature of governmental interpretation, government agencies such as USCIS/ICE/CBP may change their interpretation of immigration laws/regulations and eligibility requirements for benefits at any time. We will do our best to provide the most current guidance.

Each case is fact-specific and it is advised that you contact an experienced immigration attorney if you have questions regarding your situation.