THE MATH PLACEMENT EXAMS (ALGEBRA AND PRECALCULUS) ARE AVAILABLE ON THIS WEBSITE BEGINNING JUNE 1, 2017
PLEASE REVIEW THE BELOW INFORMATION FOR SAT/ACT SCORE INFORMATION
NOTE: Please read carefully all the information below, as it has been updated according to the Chapman University policy for the academic year 2017-2018.
The purpose of the Mathematics Placement Tests is to make sure that incoming freshman and transfer students are prepared to take a GE Quantitative Inquiry course at Chapman University and meet the required Mathematics Preparatory Skills requirement as outlined in the Course Catalog. We offer two online tests:
- The Algebra Placement Test to place into MATH 098: Elementary Algebra, MATH 099: Intermediate Algebra, or directly into a GE Quantitative Inquiry course with MATH 099 as a prerequisite, and
- The Precalculus Placement Test to waive MATH 104 for some Mathematics and Computer Science courses.
Our Math/Computer Science advisors will consider your previous mathematics courses in helping you choose the right course.
If you have already attended but did not pass an Elementary Algebra or Intermediate Algebra (MATH 098 or 099) or a Pre-Calculus (MATH 104) course at Chapman University, you are not permitted to take these Placement Tests to pass the course.
Mathematics Placement and Placement Testing are determined as follows:
Students who score:
- At least 660 (or at least 640 for tests taken prior to March 2016) on the Quantitative portion of the SAT, or
- At least 28 on the Mathematics portion of the ACT, or
- A 3 on the Advanced Placement Calculus AB exam
meet the Mathematics Preparatory Skills requirement (no Algebra Placement Exam required) and may ENROLL directly in any GE Quantitative Inquiry Math or Computer Science course that lists "MATH 099 or equivalent" or "MATH 104 or equivalent" as a prerequisite.
Students who score:
- at least 570 (or at least 540 for tests taken prior to March 2016) on the Quantitative portion of the SAT, or
- who score at least 23 on the Mathematics portion of the ACT
meet the Mathematics Preparatory Skills requirement (no Algebra Placement Exam required) and may ENROLL in any GE Quantitative Inquiry course that lists "MATH 099 or equivalent" as a prerequisite. Students within this score range who wish to take any Mathematics or Computer Science course with MATH 104 Precalculus as a prerequisite are encouraged to take the Precalculus Placement Test to determine if MATH 104 can be waived.
Students who score:
- below a 570 (or below a 540 for tests taken prior to March 2016) on the Quantitative portion of the SAT, or
- below a 23 on the Mathematics portion of the ACT
are REQUIRED to take the Algebra Placement Test by June 30th. A HOLD will be placed on your record and you will not be able to register for classes until you have taken the appropriate Placement Test.
Students whose score on the Placement Test places them into MATH 098 or MATH 099 are required to enroll in the corresponding course in their first semester.
Note: Students who receive a satisfactory transfer grade on a transferable college-level math course prior to matriculating at Chapman will be waived from MATH098/099. The waiver will not be applied to the student's account until the final transcript is both received and processed. Students with pending transfer courses in Math are encouraged to take the Algebra Placement Exam by the June 30th deadline to expedite the student's class registration process. If you want to register on time and your transfer credit has not yet been processed, you are then required to take the Algebra Placement Exam.
For any questions about your placement after taking the test, please contact Dr. Andrew Moshier, firstname.lastname@example.org, Head of the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Computation. If you believe you should be placed directly in a higher level Math/Computer Science course, please provide Dr. Moshier with a brief description of your mathematics background.