• Schmid Gate at Chapman University
Academic Advising

Advising and Registration FAQs

» Advising and Registration FAQs

This set of common questions and answers can help you prepare for your first semester at Chapman. Use the links below to jump directly to that section:

Advising/Advising Appointments

Toggle Section

Am I required to complete the online new student advising tutorial?

Yes, the tutorial is intended to give you an introduction to academic advising and course registration at Chapman. By the end of the tutorial, you will have a better understanding of Chapman's General Education program, degree requirements, and registration procedures.  The tutorial also explains Chapman’s advising process, and the difference between Academic Advisors and Program Advisors. 

Can I re-watch the tutorial?

Yes, you can re-watch the tutorial at anytime. 

Why do I have an advising hold on my account?

The hold is in place until you fully complete the online tutorial, including the Final Exam. Chapman wants to ensure you have a good understanding of your process before you proceed. 

 Please keep in mind that holds are removed manually and are not removed automatically upon completion of the tutorial. Allow 24 business hours for your hold to be removed.  

Am I required to have an advising appointment/attend a virtual group advising event?

No, students only need to complete the online tutorial to have their Academic Advising hold removed. However, additional advising resources and opportunities are continuously being posted and updated on our new student website and new student checklists:

As a first-year student, can I schedule a one-on-one appointment with an Academic Advisor?

Due to the number of first year students entering Chapman and the limited time we have to meet with students, one-on-one appointments are not available to incoming first year students. New first year students will, however, have the opportunity to watch one of our recorded webinars and participate in virtual registration walk-in hours (July 7- July 16) with an Academic Advisor if needed. Our walk-in schedule can be found on our new students website. Additionally, you can email your Academic Advisor with questions.  

Transfer students have a different advising process as detailed on our transfer website.  

Can I speak with my Academic Advisor right now?

After completing the academic advising tutorial, you can email advising at advising@chapman.edu with general questions or you can email your Academic Advisor directly with questions that are specific to your situation.

Where can I find contact information for my Academic Advisor?

Academic Advisor contact info can be found here.

What is the difference between an Academic Advisor and Program Advisor?

Your Program Advisor will primarily help you with your major or minor requirements. Your Academic Advisor will primarily advise you in your GE requirements and university degree requirements and policies.  Academic Advisors and Program Advisors work together to help you to complete your degree and help you navigate your academics.  

What can my Academic Advisor help me with? What do they not do?

Academic Advisors help with: 
  • Questions concerning academic policy, transfer credit, general education requirements, changing majors, petitions, etc. 
  • Provide group advising for new students and assist with registration. 
  • Serve as Program Advisors for undeclared students. 
  • Make referrals to additional advising resources and academic support services. 

 Academic Advisors generally do not help with: 

What can my Program Advisor help me with? What do they not do?

Program Advisors help with: 
  • Questions concerning major requirements, recommended four-year plans for major completion, articulation of transfer courses in the major or minor, substitution of courses in the major or minorand any other issues regarding completion of the major or minor. 
  • Provide group advising for majorand minors 
  • Assist you with registering in courses required by the major or minor that may be closed at the time you register. Program Advisors may be able to provide you with a permission number to override course limits, or other assistance as needed. 
  • Make referrals to additional advising resources and academic support services. 

 Program Advisors generally do not help with: 

Where do I contact/find my Program Advisor?

Program Advisors can be contacted directly and their contact information can be found on our website. 

Each department differs as to the best way to contact Program Advisors.  At this time, the best way to contact Program Advisors is by email.  If you wish a return phone call, please request it, and provide a contact phone number. 

I am a new transfer student. Do I really need to meet with my Program Advisor?

Yes. Program Advisors are very important for transfer students, who tend to have fewer GE courses to enroll in and will need advice from their major department regarding major class selection.   

Program Advisors can also review your transfer courses to determine if they meet any of your major requirements.  Some courses are already “articulated” as courses in the major, meaning that they will automatically count towards major course requirements.  Other courses may not automatically count towards the major, but will need to be reviewed by the Program Advisor to see if they can be used to complete major or minor requirements.   This is a very important step, and will keep you from having to repeat courses you may have already taken. 

Can I make an appointment with my Program Advisor through the Academic Advising Center?

No. The Academic Advising Center does not have the ability to assist students when scheduling appointments with their Program Advisor. They must be made directly with your Program Advisor.  

Where can I learn more about what is required of my major?

You can find this information on the University Catalog, which lists all academic requirements for your major.   Some academic programs will provide a 4-year recommended plan in the catalog description of the major, and some have their 4-year recommended plans on their website.  Some programs will provide such a plan upon request.  Please feel free to contact your Program Advisor(s) for further information.

Is there somewhere I can find all of my degree requirements listed?

All major and minor requirements and all university requirements are listed in the University Catalog.    

The requirements that you have to complete are also shown on your Program Evaluation, located in your Student Center. The Program Evaluation is a very important tool that your Academic and Program Advisors will use to help you understand what you need to complete in order to graduate in a timely manner. If needed, rewatch the video on the Program Evaluation in the online tutorial. 

Can my parent(s) schedule an appointment?

No, students are required to schedule their own appointments.  If they choose, they may have their parents accompany them at their appointment. 

Transcripts and Test Scores

Toggle Section

Where do I send my transcripts?

  • Current students: electronic transcripts should be sent to the Office of the Registrar for articulation and processing. (Emailed transcripts should be sent to articulation@chapman.edu) 

Are my transcripts on file?

The easiest way to see whether Chapman has received your transcripts is to log in to your Student Center and access your “Transfer Credit Report.” This can be found on the main page of your Student Center in the drop-down menu. Please view our new transfer credit report video. You can also look at your program evaluation to see if it has been updated. 

I have submitted my official transcripts but do not see them reflected on my transfer credit report or PE. What should I do?

It can take a few weeks for transcripts to be sent and processed. If you believe that they should have been updated by now, reach out to the Registrar’s office at articulation@chapman.edu.

I submitted my transcripts to the Registrar’s office. Do I need to resend them to the Office of Admission?

Transcripts sent to the Registrar’s office inadvertently will be rerouted to the Office of Admission as necessary. 

Where do I send my AP scores?

AP scores should be sent to the Office of Admission. 

Where do I send my IB scores?

Electronic scores should be sent to Chapman University.

What kind of credit can I get for my AP/IB scores?

You can view how AP and IB courses transfer to Chapman and the GE areas they fulfill, as well as the scores required, on Chapman’s AP site or IB site. 

If my AP/IB scores are not yet on file, should I register for the class that I need?

Generally, you should not register for any courses for which you know you received a passing AP or IB score. Once your scores are processed by Chapman you will receive the proper credit.  

Premed students should consult with their program advisor to determine if it is recommended to enroll in Biology and Chemistry courses for which they for which they received AP credit.  Some medical schools require college level courses with a letter grade and will not accept AP credit. It is the student’s responsibility to check the requirements for the medical schools they are interested in. 

Is there somewhere I can see how my coursework/test scores transferred?

You can view all your transfer course work in your Transfer Credit Report. This can be found on the main page of your Student Center in the drop-down menu. Please view our new transfer credit report video. 

What does 100TR mean? 300TR?

This means that you are receiving Chapman credit for those courses but that we do not offer an equivalent course. 100 means the course is lower division and 300 means that the course is upper division.  

Additional information can be found at the Transfer Credit Policy and Guidelines page. 

What if a class I took in transfer is not counting toward my major or a GE category I think it should count for?

If you believe that these courses should be a part of your major or minor, please reach out to an advisor in the respective department. If you believe the course should count for a GE category you can email articulation@chapman.edu for help. 

Block Scheduling

Toggle Section

What is block scheduling and how does it work?

Block scheduling allows some departments to pre-register their students in major courses prior to new student enrollment. The block scheduling process varies by major. If you are part of a major that takes part in block scheduling, check your email to read more about which courses you will be pre-registered for. 

What majors are involved in block scheduling for Fall 2020?

The following majors will have block scheduling for incoming first year students: 

  • Applied Human Physiology 
  • Art 
  • Art History 
  • Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 
  • Biological Sciences 
  • Chemistry 
  • Communication Studies 
  • Dance 
  • Global Communication & World Languages 
  • Graphic Design 
  • Health Sciences 
  • Integrated Educational Studies 
  • Screen Acting 
  • Strategic & Corporate Communication 
  • Theatre 
  • Theatre Performance 
  • Integrated Educational Studies 

If you did not receive an email with a list of the courses you will be pre-scheduled for, please contact your major department directly. 

What if I want to change my major to a major involved in block scheduling – can I be included?

If you are not currently in a block scheduled major but want to change into one, it is possibly too late for you to be pre-registered into those courses (depending on when you change your major). 

If you get approved to change your major by the Office of Admission, then you can contact the department chair or program director in your new major department directly to see if you can be added. If not, you can add those classes in your shopping cart yourself and register during your enrollment appointment.

If you encounter problems in registering for these classes, immediately contact the Program Advisor for assistance. 

What if I want to change out of a major involved in block scheduling – do I have to keep those courses?

No. If you are 100% sure that you do not plan to keep that major, then you can drop your courses you were registered in. However, you cannot get back into them if you drop them. 


Toggle Section

How do I know what classes I should be signing up for? 

You can use the First Year Recommend Courses for your Major to help you plan out what courses you should take in your first year at Chapman.  

Additionally, you can use your program evaluation to see what requirements you might have already satisfied (AP/IB credit) and what requirements you still have remaining. 

I am an Undeclared (UNDG) student. What should I register in?

Use the First Year Recommended Courses for Undeclared majors (go to the First Year Recommended Courses for Undeclared majors to help you plan out what courses you should take in your first year at Chapman.  

If you are interested in declaring a particular major, you should also make use of the Exploratory Course List. The Exploratory Course List provides courses that you can take within the different majors at Chapman. This way you can get exposure to a major and see if you’d like to pursue the major. Additionally, the Exploratory Course List lets you know if a specific class will satisfy a GE category. 

Where can I find a list of my General Education (GE) options?

If you visit the General Education Requirements webpageyou can view the different GE categories.  

On the GE webpage you can select a GE category (e.g., Artistic Inquiry) and view the courses approved for satisfying that particular GE category. 

Keep in mind that just because a class is listed on that page doesn’t mean it will be offered every semester. To see what GE courses are being offered for the current semester, you will want to filter for GE’s when searching for your classes through your Student Center.  You do this by selecting the drop down menu for “Course Attribute” and selecting GE, then select the next drop down menu for “Course Attribute Value” and choose the GE category you are looking for. 

How do I know which of my major classes can also count for GE?

Go to the General Education – How it Works webpage and click on the GE Inquiry category that you think your major class might satisfy. For example, if you are a business major, you are required to take MATH 109. Students mary share up to nine credits from the degree program or major with GE Shared Inquiry and Global Citizen courses. 

If you click on the Quantitative Inquiry link on the GE webpage, you will see that MATH 109 is an approved course for satisfying that requirement. In this example MATH 109 would satisfy both a major requirement and a GE requirement.

Where can I find a list of my FFC (First-year Focus Course) options?

The GE First Year Focus Website provides information on all FFC courses.  On that page you select  your specific major. You will then be able to view your approved FFC course(s) to take for your major. 

How many classes should I put in my shopping cart?

This depends on if you plan on being a part-time student or a full-time student. Full time status is when a student takes a minimum of 12 credits a semester. Most classes are worth 3 credits, so four classes would equal 12 credits for the semester.  

Incoming students are encouraged to take 12-15 credits a semester, which would equal 4-5 classes. Anything below 12 credits would be considered part-time status. 

How do I know when I can register?

You can view your registration date and time on your Student Center under the Enrollment Dates box. Once you’re on this box, click Details to view your specific enrollment date and time for the semester. You can also find directions on the Advising website. 

Can I change my registration date/time?

No. Once registration dates are assigned, they are final.  

How are registration dates assigned?

Registration dates/times are assigned at random for incoming first-year and transfer students 

During all subsequent registration periods after your registration as an incoming student, your registration date/time will be assigned based on your credits completed. The more credits completed, the earlier the registration time (for example, seniors register before juniors, etc.) 

Do I register during my advising appointment with my advisor?

No. Students register on their own in their Student Center on my.chapman.edu. 

Does my advising date influence my registration date?

No. All registration dates for incoming students are assigned at random. 

Can I still add classes after my assigned date/time?

Yes, you can continue to add classes to your schedule up through the first week of the semester.  After the first week, you will need the instructor’s permission to add a class.  No class may be added after the end of the second week, with the exception of internships and individual studies, which have later date by which to register.

When is the last day to make changes?

The last day you can make changes to your schedule is the Friday of the second week of the semester.  Note that the first week of classes you may change your schedule without needing any faculty approval to get into a class if you meet the requirements and pre-requisites.  In the second week of classes, to add a new class, you must get instructor approval. 

What should I do if I get waitlisted for a course?

You can try to enroll in the same course in a section that is open, or you can enroll in a backup course that would still count towards satisfying either a GE requirement, major requirement, or minor requirement.  It is recommended that you use the SWAP feature in the registration process, so that you can be added to the course you wish if there is an opening, and automatically have this substitute course dropped.   

If the course is required for your major or minor, contact the Program Advisor for the major or minor directly by email.  

I put classes in my shopping cart. Does that save me a seat in those classes?

No, you will only have a saved seat in the course once you officially enroll in the course. 

It is saying the course is open (green circle) but it won’t let me enroll. Why? What can I do?

Check the course descriptions for additional requirements/class notes. Sometimes certain class sections are reserved for students who are declared in the major. Additionally, check to make sure that you met the prerequisites required in order to take the course.  

Another situation is if it is a class that combines two different sections.  Only the enrollment for the class section you are looking at will show, which may indicate open seats.  But the actual seat count is the total of all combined sections.   You can click on the course number for detail information that will show you the enrollment for all combined sections. 

If you have satisfied all the prerequisites/other requirements to add the course and are still experiencing issues enrolling in the course, contact the Registrar’s office for further assistance. Note that the office has limited staff available by phone, and email is the best method of contact. If you do call and are unable to reach a staff member, please listen to the entire recording.

What is a permission number?

A permission number is usually given to the student from either the professor teaching the course or from the department chair. This permission code will then allow the student to enroll in a course that they otherwise would be unable to enroll into on their own.  

Permission numbers are usually issued only by department chairs or program directors. Chapman is working on a system that will easily allow you to request a permission number for a course online, but at this time, please contact the Program Advisor for courses in your major or minor, or the Department Chair in the department in which the course is offered for any other course. 

Who do I contact if I cannot get into a course I need for my major?

You should contact the Program Advisor from your major to see if they can assist you in resolving this issue. 

What is the difference between a course and a course section?

A course is the class/subject that is being taught, and a course section refers to the day, time, location and instructor teaching the course. 

After I register, how can I make sure that my courses are counting for the correct requirements?

There is a section on your program evaluation that says, “Other courses not being used to satisfy Major, Minor, and GE.” If one or more of the classes you enrolled in for the semester are showing up in this category on your program evaluation, it means that the course is not being used to satisfy a requirement.  

You should always refer to your program evaluation and make sure that the courses you enroll in are being used to satisfy either your GE, Major, or Minor requirements.  (Courses appearing in this section will still count towards the “Degree Requirements” credits required.) 

Will additional courses/sections open up?

Sometimes departments will open up additional sections. However, this is not a guarantee. If a class you want to take is full, consider finding a different class that will satisfy some other requirement.  Do put yourself on the waitlist for the class you wish, as these waitlists are monitored by department chairs and program heads to see if additional sections may be needed. 

Placement Exams

Toggle Section

Do I have to take the language placement exam? 

We recommend that every student with experience in a language we offer take the placement exam unless they have already completed the requirement through AP or by showing proof of proficiency (by taking a proficiency exam) in a language other than English.  

You can learn more about language proficiency testing on our Language Placement Site. 

I do not see the placement exam in my Blackboard account. How do I get the exam to appear?

If you have trouble accessing the exam, please email placementexams@chapman.edu. Be sure to include your student ID number. 

I did not do well on my language exam. Can I retake it?

No. The placement exams may only be taken once. If you experienced technical difficulties while taking the exam, please reach out to placementexams@chapman.edu 

Do I have to take the Algebra Test?

To determine whether you will need to take the Algebra exam, please review our Math Placement Website.  

Do I have to take the Calculus Readiness Exam?

The Calculus Readiness exam is recommended for any student who needs to enroll in calculus for their major or minor (such as science and engineering majors) and does not qualify to enroll directly in calculus via their SAT/ACT math score. 

I have a math hold on my account. What do I need to do?

Math holds are placed on those students who are required to take the Algebra exam. To have the hold removed you will need to take the Algebra exam. 

I have a math hold but I’ve turned in my test scores/transcripts recently. Do I have to take the test?

It is likely Chapman hasn’t received your transcript, SAT or ACT scores yet, or the scores are still being processed. If you have already requested for your official scores to be sent to Chapman, you can check to see if they have been posted to your record by viewing your unofficial transcript in your Student Center under the Academics dropdown section 

You can contact our Office of Admission at admit@chapman.edu about the status of missing test scores. If you have not requested them to be sent, please do so as soon as possible, and consider taking the Algebra Test in the meantime (if you haven’t already) for the quickest method of removing your hold. You will not be permitted to drop the course until we have official record of your qualifying score. 

International Students

Toggle Section

I can already speak another language.  Do I have to complete the language requirement at Chapman?

Your Chapman GE Language requirement may be waived depending on your individual circumstances as an international student. Please reach out to articulation@chapman.edu to ask whether you will be able to have your language GE completed in this way. 

Do I need to complete the global study requirement at Chapman?

Most international students are waived from the Global Studies requirement, though it can depend on individual circumstances. If you believe this area should be waived for you and it is not, please reach out to articulation@chapman.edu. 


Toggle Section

Can I change my major before school starts?

Incoming first year and transfer students looking to change their major prior to the start of the fall semester should contact their admission counselor so they can assist you with this request.  

Your admission counselor contact info can be found by logging into your Application Status Page or by calling the Office of Admission at (714) 997-6711. 

How do I change my major after school starts?

Students must get approval from the department chair of the major they are seeking.  Then students can change their major by filling out the Change of Major form, obtaining the department chair’s signature, and submitting the it the Registrar’s Office. 

Please note, some majors require an application process. Please refer to the individual major department you are looking to transfer into for further information.  

How do I double major? Can I double major?

Yes, you can potentially double major, but it depends on what the two majors are, how many credits they require, and scheduling classes.  Some double major combinations are not allowed because there already is too much overlap in classes to allow that combination. 

Some programs are large and it may not be realistic, so be sure to research major requirements and speak with Program Advisors before double majoring.  

To declare a second major, you would follow the same process of declaring a major.  Your Program Advisors can advise you to consider the amount of time it may take for you to complete two programs, and if that leaves time for you to do other things, such as complete an internship, get an on campus job, lead a club, etc. It may be more feasible for you to pursue a minor or two minors instead. 

How do I get or plan my four years?

Four-year planning is a process that students work on initially with their Program Advisors (major/minor) and later with their Academic Advisors. Some majors already have a sample four-year plan in place, so once school begins, reach out to your major department to see if they have one.  

After you plan out your major classes, you can create sample plans that incorporate a minor you might be interested in, as well as GE requirements. Note that four-year plans are always subject to change based on course availability and choices you make. This is why it is important that you create your own plan and make changes along the way. 

Some academic programs will provide a 4-year recommended plan in the catalog description of the major, and some have their 4-year recommended plans on their website.  Some programs will provide such a plan upon request.  Please feel free to contact your Program Advisor(s) for further information. 

Can I add a minor before school begins?

No, adding minors is not available to incoming students.  Change of minor forms submitted before the term begins will be returned to the student unprocessed. 

Can I add a minor once school begins?

Yes, you can add a minor once the semester begins (not during summer). Please keep in mind, some minors require an application process. Please refer to the individual minor department for further information.  

Where can I find my options for majors and minors?

Detailed majors and minors can be found listed on the Chapman Catalog.

I am interested in learning more about a major. Where should I start?

We recommend you search the Chapman website (including the online Course Catalog) to find out more about the program and then contact the department or Program Advisor directly. This sequence will help you learn more about the program and hopefully help you organize questions.