Contracts and Grants Administration is a sub-department of Financial Services and works in conjunction with the Office of Research Pre-Award Administration to provide post-award administration to all sponsored research programs.
Awards are made to Chapman University as the official grantee. The Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for the technical work but does not receive the award directly. The Office of Contracts and Grants manages contracts and grants for the University as follows:
- Establishment of a new project code and assignment in the University's financial system, from which the PI can view revenue, expenditure details and balances for the project
- Works with the PI and funding agency staff to manage the award fiscally and administratively through the project period
- Preparation and filing of financial reports and submission of period billings according to award requirements
- Monitoring of regulatory mandates and advisement to PIs regarding changes in agency and federal regulations and University policies on grant administration
- Liaison between PI, The Office of Research and agency for administrative actions, including but not limited to no-cost extensions, budget revisions, grant transfers, and changes in key personnel
- Reconciliation of account for final close-out and submission of final financial report and other final documents such as equipment disposition and invention reports to the sponsor.