• Women planning travel with a map and computers.
Center for Global Education

Getting Started on a Semester Abroad

» Getting Started on a Semester Abroad

Start here to prepare for your semester or academic year abroad journey!

  1. Attend a Global First Steps session two semester prior to going abroad to start the application process.
  2. Meet with your academic or program advisor to discuss your remaining Chapman degree requirements
  3. View program information on the Global Gateway to select a program that will best fit your academic, career, and personal goals.
  4. Meet with a Global Education Advisor based on your major to discuss your program selection. 
  5. Applications are due on the Global Gateway two semesters prior to going abroad; typically December for the following fall/academic year term and May for the following spring term.

View information on the left side menu for more information about program types, programs by major and minor, cost and financial aid, passports, and FAQs.

Eligibility Requirements

Chapman University students who meet the following minimum requirements are eligible to participate in semester and academic year abroad programs:

  • Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75* at time of acceptance by Chapman University. Students are expected to maintain a cumulative 2.75 after acceptance.
  • Class Standing: sophomore, junior or senior status while abroad*.
  • Junior or Senior level may be required for internship-focused programs.
  • Students who do not receive disciplinary clearance from the Dean of Students will be ineligible to participate. Students with conduct holds may be required to meet with the Dean of Students office to be cleared.
  • Follow all deadlines and procedures, including attending a mandatory Global First Steps info session and individual advising appointment.

Keep in mind that factors other than academics, such as essays, are also taken into consideration when assessing a student's potential for a semester abroad.

*Some programs may have additional requirements.

Study Abroad During Final Semester

The Center for Global Education supports students seeking a global experience at any stage of their Chapman career. Senior year may be the final chance for undergraduate students to participate. View this guide for a general timeline and tips. For questions directly related to Chapman University credits, course approvals, and commencement, please contact globaled@chapman.edu.

Independent Study Abroad Applicants

The Center for Global Education has many diverse programs available and we encourage you to speak with the Center for Global Education regarding program options recommended for your major. If you choose to study abroad independently, you are taking a leave of absence from Chapman University. All independent study abroad credits will be considered transfer credits and are subject to the transfer policy as described in the current catalog. If you study abroad independently, you may lose major benefits of studying abroad as a Chapman student such as: 

  1. The Center for Global Education provides students with assistance in the application process, pre-departure preparation, support while abroad and upon return, international travel assistance insurance, coordinating any medical evacuation or attention needed, and facilitating the articulation of credits back to Chapman. You will be responsible for doing this yourself if you study abroad independently. The responsibility is with you to determine your steps to complete to study abroad. Chapman University cannot assist you if any problems arise or you need to return home. You must contact the program representative with your questions and concerns.
  2. No Chapman University financial aid transfers to independent programs — If you receive federal aid or private scholarships, you should contact your program provider about applying aid to your specific program. Chapman University will not transfer Federal or state aid for an independent applicant.
  3. If the program requires a signed Disciplinary Clearance form, send it to conduct@chapman.edu. The Dean of Students will review the form and complete corresponding information. Forms requiring university official signature are not automatically processed by any designated office and may require faculty chair, University Registrar, or other person’s approval based on the specific form. All approval forms should be filled out by the student first and submitted at least one month prior to the due date.
  4. Contact the Office of the University Registrar at articulation@chapman.edu to determine how the courses abroad will transfer to Chapman. Detailed course and program information must be provided. Syllabi are required for course approvals. Copied and pasted information without source links will not be accepted. Once a student has matriculated at Chapman there are limits to the number of credits you are eligible to transfer. It is your responsibility to know how many credits you are eligible to transfer. Please note it may take several weeks to receive responses. Internships abroad that are not through Chapman University will not be approved for credit. There are no exceptions to this policy. All transfer credit applied towards the degree must be evaluated and approved by the Office of the University Registrar. Only credit taken and reflected on official transcripts from regionally accredited degree granting institutions or institutions recognized by the country’s Ministry of Education will be considered for transfer credit. Credits from third party providers, language institutes, and non-recognized institutions are not accepted. There are no exceptions to this policy.
  5. Transfer credit going towards the student’s major, minor, or themed inquiry may require additional departmental approval. You may receive initial Department Chair approvals for major, minor, or themed inquiry courses; however, it is solely up to the Office of the University Registrar as to whether the credits are accepted. Credit and grade conversions are done by Chapman University and are not subject to negotiation. No transfer work with grades earned below “C–" will be accepted toward meeting graduation requirements, but all earned grades will be counted in the student’s overall cumulative grade point average. Credit cannot be used towards any residency requirements.6.Independent transfer credits may jeopardize your eligibility to enroll in up to four tuition free credits(undergraduates only) or to utilize the Travel Course tuition waiver. If you have further questions, please contact the Student Business Services Office at ocbusn@chapman.edu.

If you decide to study abroad through the Center for Global Education instead of applying independently, please email globaled@chapman.edu to learn about the steps to apply.