Academic Policies and Procedures

General Information and Policies

Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Programs

An accelerated program combines both undergraduate and graduate education by allowing the undergraduate student to be conditionally admitted into the graduate program while still completing all undergraduate degree requirements. An accelerated program has a curriculum mapped across both degree programs. Typically, accelerated programs allow for the successful completion of the undergraduate and graduate degrees via a 4 + 1 or 3 + 2 combination of undergraduate and graduate coursework.

Chapman students must apply to a graduate program in their junior or senior year. Students applying to the Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction 4 + 1 program may apply in their sophomore year. Students will receive conditional admission to the program, pending completion of their bachelor's degree as stipulated in the graduate catalog. (See explanations of conditional admission in the graduate catalog.) The minimum amount of credits required for any accelerated bachelor's/master's program is 148 total credits. If accepted into a 4 + 1 graduate program students may include up to 12 credits of approved graduate–level coursework once a minimum of 90 undergraduate credits have been completed or will be completed prior to start of the course in order to enroll in a graduate course. If accepted into a 3 + 2 graduate program, students may include up to 24 credits of approved graduate–level coursework once a minimum of 90 undergraduate credits have been completed or will be completed prior to start of the course in order to enroll in a graduate course. Students would complete the remaining credit hours of graduate coursework beginning in the semester after receiving the undergraduate degree. The application process, prerequisites, GPA and graduate program requirements are as specified for the graduate program.

Address Change

Students must notify the University of any change in their addresses or phone numbers. Such changes may be made using "", or a notification to the Office of the University Registrar from the student's email address.

Attendance Policy

Class attendance policies are determined by each instructor and are included in the course syllabus distributed at the beginning of each term. The University recommends as a minimal policy that students who are absent 20 percent of the course should be failed. Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course in which they are registered may be administratively dropped, unless they make arrangements with the instructor prior to the first day of class.


Students must meet the degree requirements (General Education and major) of the catalog under which they matriculated or may select a later catalog for a year in which they are enrolled. Changing to a later catalog must be officially requested through the Office of the University Registrar. Students have a one–semester grace period to assess the changes in their new requirements during which they may return to their original catalog. After the grace period, the change in catalog year is irreversible. Statements in the catalog are for informational purposes and should not be considered as the basis of a contract between students and the University. In addition to the degree requirements and limitation of credit, students must adhere to the academic requirements, policies and procedures in place in the current catalog. Such requirements include but are not limited to course prerequisites, minimum grades for transfer work, probation and suspension requirements. Information regarding any changes in degree programs, graduation requirements or academic policies will be made available by the Office of the University Registrar and the appropriate academic departments.

Class Level

Students who have completed fewer than 30 credits are considered freshmen; 30–59.9 credits are sophomores; 60–89.9 credits are juniors; 90+ credits are seniors.

Final Exams

All final exams must be taken during the final exams week and according to the final exams schedule posted online.

Students scheduled for three or more final exams on one day may ask the instructors of the courses with final exams scheduled in the middle of the day to provide an alternative date and time that also occurs during final exams week. These requests should be made two or more weeks before the last day of class. Faculty are strongly encouraged to accommodate these students.

Full– and Part–Time Students

A full–time undergraduate degree–seeking student is one who carries a minimum of 12 credits per semester. A part–time undergraduate degree–seeking student is one who carries fewer than 12 credits per semester. During interterm, a student carrying a minimum of three credits is considered a full–time student.

Interrupted Enrollment and Readmission

(See "Undergraduate Admission.")

Permit–to–Register Students

Permit–to–register students are not seeking a degree or credential, but are allowed to take courses during the semester. Undergraduate permit students may take no more than nine credits per semester. If they are admitted to a program a maximum of 27 credits may count towards the degree requirements. Permit–to–register students wishing to audit courses should refer to the "course audit" section for policies and deadlines.

Classroom Behavior

Faculty Rights and Procedures Concerning Student Classroom Behavior

Faculty members are responsible for ensuring an effective learning environment for all students in their classes, which encourages active student participation, including the right to raise questions and challenge information. Hence, faculty members also have the responsibility and authority to maintain appropriate student behavior. Classes are defined as including laboratories, internships, field placements or any settings that can be designated as a learning environment, such as travel studies and field trips.

Consequently, if a student is considered to be threatening or disruptive in the classroom, behaves in a way that interferes with the learning of other students or refuses to fulfill the academic requirements of the course, the faculty member has the right to have the student who demonstrates such behavior removed from the class, either by administrative withdrawal or by making arrangements for the student to complete the requirements in absentia.

The faculty member should immediately report the matter to the appropriate dean and department chair. The faculty member may also request the assistance of the dean of students to provide advice or to mediate the dispute.

A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the faculty member, must submit the appeal in writing to the relevant academic dean within five working days of the decision. The dean will then conduct an investigation and respond to the student with a written decision within five working days. If, during the appeal, the dean determines that the faculty member is possibly at fault, the dean may address the situation directly with the faculty member or may refer the matter to the provost for disposition. If the student is dissatisfied with this outcome, he or she may submit a written appeal to the provost, whose decision in these matters is final and binding. During this period of appeal, the student may not return to class. Even if the student's appeal is successful, the student may not return to the class unless the faculty member has specifically agreed to this. If the provost upholds the earlier decision, the student may still be subject to the student conduct system for further conduct review at the discretion of the dean of students.

Course Information

Course Numbering System

Courses are numbered as follows:

001099 Remedial courses and courses not appropriate for college degree credit but designed to meet specific needs of individuals or groups where degree credit is not required. Remedial courses are noncredit courses.

100299 Lower–division courses of freshman and sophomore level; freshman level 100–199 and sophomore level 200–299.

129, 229, 329, 429 These numbers indicate experimental coursework offered by a department. Experimental courses are designed to offer additional opportunities to explore areas and subjects of special interest and may be repeated for credit if course content is different. Course titles, prerequisites and credits may vary. Some courses require student lab fees. Specific course details will be listed in the course schedule.

194, 394 These numbers indicate coursework offered through the Chapman Study Abroad program. Courses have been approved for credit but do not equate to any regular Chapman courses.

199, 299, 399, 499 Individual study courses.

290, 490 Internship courses.

291, 491 Student–faculty research and creative activity courses.

300399 Upper–division courses of junior and senior level that do not yield graduate credit. Sophomores may enroll provided they meet prerequisites and restrictions. Freshmen are admitted with written consent of instructor and chair of department offering the course.

400499 Upper–division courses of junior and senior level that yield graduate credit for graduate students. Freshman students may not enroll.

500699 Graduate courses for graduate students and seniors meeting specific guidelines.

682 Student–faculty research and creative activity courses.

700799 Post–master’s and doctoral courses.

Individually Directed Courses

Individually directed courses cannot be audited.

Reading and Conference Courses

Reading and conference courses are offered only when absolutely necessary and when the course is not scheduled. The courses are not offered to resolve scheduling conflicts with other classes or work or to complete a schedule.

To enroll in reading and conference courses, students must complete a reading and conference form (available online and from the Office of the University Registrar) and obtain the signatures of the department chair of the course and course instructor. After receiving approval, the student must submit the form to the Office of the University Registrar. A minimum of five hours of instruction for each credit is required for reading and conference courses.

Individual Study and Research

Individual study and research is offered to students to research particular topics that are not provided for by regular curriculum offerings.

To enroll in individual study and research, students must complete the individual study and research form (available from the Office of the University Registrar) and obtain the signatures of the department chair of the course and course instructor. After receiving approval, the student must submit the form to the Office of the University Registrar. Students should spend 40 to 50 hours in instruction and research for each credit of individual study.

Student–Faculty Research and Creative Activity

Student–faculty independent research and creative activity is available to matriculated–students only. Projects are normally extracurricular, meaning outside of a degree or minor program's curriculum and requirements and outside of standard course structure. Student–faculty independent research and creative activity is not intended to replace a capstone in the major or to supply coverage for a gap in the curriculum/degree program.

To enroll in student–faculty research and creative activity, students must meet with a faculty mentor to discuss and prepare the proposal/contract. The faculty mentor submits the final proposal/contract approved by the chair/associate dean to the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) by the published deadline posted on the OUR website. The OUR will review the proposed research and notify faculty and student and will submit approved projects to the Office of the University Registrar for enrollment.

Course Registration


Students may add or drop courses during the add/drop period stated in the academic calendar (see "Academic Calendar" section in the catalog) either via "" or in person at the Office of the University Registrar, depending upon course requirements or restrictions. Courses dropped during the add/drop period will not appear on the student’s academic transcript. Being placed by an instructor on the course roll does not constitute being officially registered for the course. Students officially register only through "" or at the Office of the University Registrar. After the add deadline, students may not attend courses without being officially enrolled in the course.

Students adding a course after the first week of the term must get the instructor's approval signature in order to register for the course.

Administrative Drop

Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course in which they are registered may be administratively dropped, unless they make arrangements with the instructor prior to the first day of class or the class is required per University–wide policy (e.g., Math 98 or Math 99). Students should contact the instructor if a possible error has been made regarding an administrative drop. Students should not assume that they will be administratively dropped for non–attendance from a class they do not wish to be enrolled in and should check their class schedule to ensure they are enrolled in the appropriate classes.

Course Audit

No credit is earned from audited classes. A notation of “AU” is assigned to audited classes and is not used in computing the GPA. Course requisites are enforced in the determination of registration eligibility for the course. Audit fees will be assessed. It is strongly recommended that students confer with their advisors prior to officially auditing a course.

No preregistration is allowed for courses taken as audit. Students must use the official registration form and obtain the instructor's signature to register for a course as audit; the deadline for such a transaction is the same as the add/drop deadline for regular courses for all terms. Course requirements such as homework, exams and papers are not graded by the instructor for students who are auditing a course.

Not all courses are eligible to be audited.

Course Load

During regular semesters, students may enroll in a maximum of 18 credits. Enrollment in 18.5 credits up to 21 credits, including coursework concurrently enrolled in at other institutions, requires at least a 3.000 Chapman cumulative GPA and completion of a minimum of 15 credits of graded coursework at Chapman. A maximum of 21 credits during a regular semester may be taken, including coursework concurrently enrolled at other institutions. Additional tuition is charged for registration in more than 18 credits taken at Chapman.

During interterm session, students may take a maximum of 4 credits. Students may not petition to enroll in more than 4 credits during interterm, either at Chapman or concurrently at another institution

Note: Any coursework taken at another institution that places a student in an overload status and that is not reported may nullify standard transfer of credit policy. Contact the Office of the University Registrar regarding concurrent course approval processes.

Any student who is admitted provisionally or who is currently on Chapman academic probation with a Chapman cumulative GPA of less than 2.700 may enroll in no more than a total of 14 credits per semester at Chapman and concurrently at other institutions. Any student who is currently on Chapman academic probation with a Chapman cumulative GPA of 2.700 or higher may enroll in no more than a total of 16 credits per semester at Chapman and concurrently at other institutions.

Registering for Classes

Currently enrolled students and students returning from an interrupted enrollment are assigned registration times based upon their completed credits as of the last term of attendance at Chapman. Students may register on or after their assigned time via "" or at a later time in person at the Office of the University Registrar. Registration is not complete until all charges are paid or arrangements have been made in the Business Office.

New students and students returning to Chapman outside the interrupted enrollment limitations will be assigned registration appointments following appointments assigned to currently enrolled students.

Registering for Graduate Courses as Undergraduate

Undergraduate students are allowed to enroll in 500– and 600–level courses according to the following guidelines:

Course Changes (Add/Drop, Withdrawal)

Students who officially withdraw from a course between the third and the tenth week of a regular term (see "Academic Calendar" for interterm and summer deadlines) will receive a non–punitive notation of "W" on their transcripts, indicating the withdrawal. Students cannot withdraw from a course after the tenth week of a regular semester. (See "Academic Calendar" for interterm and summer deadlines.) It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from a course or all courses. Failure to attend a course does not constitute a withdrawal. Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing will receive a grade of "FW" (failure to withdraw), which is calculated as an "F" grade.

Grading Policies

Challenging a Grade

Professors, as experts in their fields, have the final authority in assigning student grades except for cases involving clear evidence of capricious grading or failure to follow the professional standards of the discipline.

Faculty members may change final grades after submission to the Office of the University Registrar only for clerical error. Furthermore, additional work may not be assigned to enable the student to receive a higher grade.

However, a student who believes he or she has received a grade based on capricious or unprofessional grading on the part of the professor and wishes to challenge the grade received in a class must follow the procedure below:

1. Request from the professor an explanation of the grade and for possible reconsideration of the grade. As a professional scholar and educator, the professor must be able to explain the grading criteria, how the criteria meet the standards of the discipline and how the individual student's grade derives from these criteria. This request must be made within two weeks of the issuance of the grade.

2. If, after consulting with the instructor, the grade dispute is not resolved or if the student has made a good faith effort to contact the professor and has received no response, the student may appeal directly to the department chair/head of the academic unit in which the course was offered (or the associate dean if there is no department chair). The student needs to provide documentation of attempts to contact the chair in writing a reason why the decision of the faculty is capricious or unprofessional, relating to the reasons given for the grade by the professor. The department chair may deny the student petition, confer committee to review the grade or refer the petition to the dean's office of the school or college of the department. This appeal must be filed by the student within four weeks of the issuance of the grade.

3. If the student wishes to appeal the action taken at the departmental level, the student may further appeal the decision directly to the dean's office. The student must submit a written request, within two weeks of the issuance of the chair's decision, directly to the dean's office with documentation from the interactions with the professor and the chair/unit head/associate dean. The dean's office will make the final decision on the petition at the college level.

After the dean's office notifies the student of its decision, the student has two weeks to request a review by the office of the provost. The student may not appeal the college-level position only in order to receive a different opinion based on information that has already been reviewed at the college level. An appeal to the provost's office will only be considered if there is compelling new evidence that was not previously available or if there is substantive evidence that the grade challenge process was not followed in accordance with the grade challenge policy. This appeal is sent directly to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.

Changes in grades can occur only through the petition process initiated by individual students.

Courses Repeated for Higher Grades

Most undergraduate–level courses numbered 100–499 at Chapman may be repeated to improve the grade. The lower grade remains on the record with a notation that the course has been repeated. Only the higher grade and credit are computed in the GPA, "P" grades will be calculated as described in the "Pass/No Pass" section and will be considered the higher grade only in cases where the original grade was "C–" or below. "NP" grades will never be considered as the higher grade and the original grade will remain in effect. Credit is given only once for a repeated course, except as noted in the course description. It is recommended that a course be repeated as soon as practical if it is to be taken for a higher grade. In exercising this option, an undergraduate student must repeat the course at Chapman University. Repeats will be assessed after grades are posted.

Grades earned at Chapman remain counted in the student’s GPA if the coursework is repeated at another institution.

Grade Points

Grades and corresponding grade points follow:



grade points










very good





















minimum passing






failure to withdraw






no pass









not reported






satisfactory progress



Incomplete Grades

The grade of Incomplete may be assigned by an instructor if a student, through circumstances beyond his or her control, has not completed a small portion of a course by the conclusion of the term. The student must request the grade of Incomplete and must propose a date acceptable to the faculty member by which the missing work will be completed. A grade of Incomplete may not be assigned to give a student a chance to do more work to improve a grade. A grade of Incomplete may also be assigned by an instructor if academic integrity is in question at the time grades are due and the instructor requires more time to resolve the issue.

The deadline for removal of an Incomplete is one year from the first day of the term in which the Incomplete was recorded, unless a shorter period of time is specified by the instructor. In certain circumstances where the student must attend the class to fulfill the remaining requirements and when the course is not offered every semester/trimester, at the instructor’s discretion, the deadline for removal of the Incomplete will be one year from the end of the term in which the Incomplete was recorded. The deadline determined by the faculty member must be specified at the time of original submission of the incomplete grade. When issuing an Incomplete grade, instructors may issue the grade the student would have earned by assessing scores on all graded requirements. This grade is determined by including all zero points for all missing assignments in the calculation of the final grade. If the agreed upon remaining coursework is not completed in the period allotted, the assessed grade will become the grade of record.

If the instructor determines that the student would receive an "F" grade based upon the zero point calculation, then an "I" grade is entered as the final grade, with zero credit given and zero points calculated. "I" grades will become "F" or "NP" if the agreed upon coursework is not completed in the period allotted.

Pass/No Pass

Undergraduates may take up to six semester credits per academic year (considered Fall through end of Summer semesters) on a Pass/No Pass basis, excluding courses offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students should consult with the department chair regarding the choice of "P/NP" grading for courses in the major. Some courses require letter grades only and other courses allow only Pass/No Pass as the grading option. Courses that are only Pass/No Pass are noted in the course descriptions.

After initial registration in a course, in order to change the grading basis (e.g., to "P/NP") students must submit a registration form to the Office of the University Registrar by the end of the fifth week for fall and spring semesters. (See Academic Calendar for corresponding dates for interterm and summer semesters.) Changes in grading basis cannot be done via "". Once a course is graded, students cannot request a change in grading option.

A student who satisfactorily completes a "P/NP" course will receive a "P" grade. Credit will be granted. However no grade points are assigned and it is not computed in the GPA. "P" grades are equivalent to a "C-" grade or higher.

A grade of "NP" (no pass) will be assigned when the requirements for credit in the course have not been satisfied at the level of "C-" or higher. "NP" grades are given for "D+" and below. No credit is granted, no grade points are assigned and the "NP" is not computed in the GPA.

Transfer and Cumulative GPA Calculation

Probation and Dismissal

Academic Probation

Any student whose term or Chapman cumulative GPA drops below 2.000 will be placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation may enroll in no more than 14 semester credits each term they are on probation, if their Chapman cumulative GPA is less than 2.700. Students on academic probation may enroll in no more than 16 semester credits if their Chapman cumulative GPA is 2.700 or higher. In addition, students on academic probation will be expected to consult with the Academic Advising Center for guidance and assistance regarding methods of improving their academic status. Optimally, such consultation should occur no later than two weeks into the semester in which the student has been placed on probation.

Academic Dismissal

A student is subject to academic dismissal from the University if (1) the student's Chapman cumulative GPA remains below 2.000 for two consecutive semesters or (2) the student's Chapman term GPA falls below 2.000 for two consecutive semesters and his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.700. Students who wish to appeal an academic dismissal must demonstrate both extraordinary circumstances explaining the unsatisfactory academic performance and a likelihood of success if allowed to continue at Chapman.

Dismissed students who seek to return must demonstrate a substantial likelihood of success if allowed to return. Such likelihood of success may be demonstrated in part by successfully completing at another regionally accredited institution a minimum of 12 letter–graded transferable credits in one term with a term GPA of at least 2.400, with no grade lower than a "C." Verification of this information through an official transcript must accompany the petition for reinstatement. Prior to beginning coursework elsewhere, it is recommended that students contact the Academic Advising Center to review the coursework they plan on taking outside Chapman University to ensure the courses fulfill the requirements set forth by Chapman. In accordance with the University's graduation requirements not all credits may be accepted in transfer upon a student's return.

Students who have been awarded financial aid or Veterans Administration benefits for the coming semester are advised that academic dismissal carries with it the cancellation of any financial aid or benefits. Students who are reinstated may be reconsidered for financial aid at that time. However, reinstatement does not necessarily mean that financial aid will be available for that semester or any future semester.

Students seeking to return within two years of dismissal must submit their requests to be reinstated to the Student Standards Committee via the Office of the University Registrar; students seeking to return after more than two years from the time of dismissal must reapply for admission via the Office of Admission. All students who return after academic dismissal will be placed in a probation status. Reinstated students may enroll in no more than 14 semester credits and are required to earn a term GPA of at least 2.400 or achieve a Chapman cumulative GPA of at least 2.000. Any student who fails to achieve a Chapman cumulative GPA of at least 2.000 will remain in probation status. Any reinstated student who remains on probation after two semesters will be subject to permanent dismissal.

Permanent Dismissal

Once a student is permanently dismissed by the Student Standards Committee, the only appeal available is to the Office of the Provost.

Transfer Credit and Credit by Examination Policies

Credit by Examination

Chapman recognizes the need for educational flexibility and opportunity. The University accepts the use of national standardized and recognized testing instruments to measure knowledge acquired outside the classroom. Credit will be given only for exams that meet Chapman standards. Regarding AP, IB, CLEP and DSST examinations and acceptable minimum scores for approved exams, score requirements and credit granted, see the Office of the University Registrar website under

Advanced Placement (AP)

Credit is awarded for approved AP exams that meet the minimum score requirements. Students must submit an official AP score report to Chapman University for credit consideration.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credit is awarded for approved IB exams that meet the minimum score and diploma requirements. Students must submit an official IB score report or diploma transcript to Chapman University for credit consideration.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)

Credit is awarded for approved CLEP or DSST examinations and may apply toward General Education requirements. Students seeking to fulfill major requirements must have preapproval from the department chair. Elective credit only will be awarded for CLEP general exams. Please refer to the "Regulations Governing Credit by Examination" section for additional policies related to earning credit by exam.

Chapman awards credit to students whose score meets the established minimum for approved CLEP and DANTES Subject Examinations. For more information, contact the Office of the University Registrar. Only elective credit will be awarded for CLEP general exams.

Brigham Young University's Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (BYU FLATS)

Brigham Young University's Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service (BYU FLATS) is accepted by Chapman to demonstrate foreign language proficiency. Students wishing to waive out of the Language Study requirement may do so with a passing score at the 201 level of the BYU FLATS. No credit is awarded. Proctoring for these exams is not available at Chapman University. For more information and to find a testing location, please contact BYU FLATS directly.

Regulations Governing Credit by Examination

Chapman Departmental Examinations

Subject matter examinations developed by academic departments at Chapman to measure achievement in specific areas are available for some courses through the testing office in the Tutoring, Learning and Testing Center. Proficiency in subject matter can be used to meet prerequisites or waive specific course requirements. No credit is awarded.

General Transfer Credit Policy

General Education (GE) Block Transfer

Completion of the full California State University GE Breadth certification or University of California Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (UC IGETC) certification or an ADT degree from a California community college or equivalent GE transfer degree or certification from an out–of–state community college prior to matriculation satisfies all GE areas, except the following:

General Education (GE) Block Transfer from CSU or UC System schools only

Transfer credit is evaluated on a course–by‑course basis for general education requirements. Based on total transferable credits, excluding AP, IB, A-Level and dual credit, students transferring to Chapman with 60+ credits prior to matriculation will satisfy the following GE areas:

Students transferring to Chapman with 30 to 59 credits, excluding AP, IB A-Level and dual credit, prior to matriculation will satisfy the following GE areas:

The First–Year Foundations Course (FFC) requirement is waived for students who have transferred in 24 or more credits from another institution of higher education prior to matriculation. Dual credit (AP, IB, A-Level or college–level coursework) completed while in high school is not included; the 24 transferable credits must follow the completion of secondary school.

Students who have attended a 4-year institution prior to matriculation, and, who have taken a first-year seminar course focused on critical thinking, may petition to have this course evaluated to substitute for the FFC requirement.

International Transfer Credit

Chapman University considers for transfer academic credit earned at international institutions that are fully accredited degree-granting institutions recognized by their country's Ministry of Education. Only courses that meet general transfer credit policy will be accepted. Evaluation of credit is done at the time of admission based on official transcripts.

English Language Courses: Credit is not awarded for coursework in English language instruction abroad.

General Certificate of Education (GCE) A–level credit: Chapman recognizes the British A–Level curriculum as lower–division degree–applicable credit. Two semesters’ worth of credit is awarded per subject for grades "D" and higher and one semester of credit for AS–Advanced Subsidiary. No credit is granted for any grades below a "D" (equivalent to "C" in the United States).

Students must provide their original A–level certificates to have their scores evaluated for credit. Provisional certificates or "statement of provisional results" are not accepted to award credit but may be submitted for unofficial evaluation to determine placement or prerequisites if official certificates are not available prior to the start of the first semester at Chapman. Exam descriptions are required for course equivalency designation.

Military Credit

Military students are awarded six credits for a minimum of one year of United States military service terminated under honorable conditions. A certified copy of a DD–214 or DD–295 is required. Additional transfer credit may be awarded under the following conditions:

Transfer and Cumulative GPA Calculation

Transfer of Credit from Study Abroad Programs Not Affiliated with Chapman University

All study abroad credit taken independently will be considered transfer credit and are subject to the transfer policy described in the current catalog. Students who decide to study abroad during the semester or summer without enrolling in one of Chapman University’s study–abroad programs should be sure to read the information posted on the Office of the University Registrar’s website regarding transfer of credit. Interested students are required to submit forms and information to the Center for Global Education, to the Office of the University Registrar, to the Dean of Students Office and to other campus offices according to the terms outlined by the program. Student applicants must provide the name of the intended university program and the location of the study abroad site and must have courses reviewed for transfer before departure. Depending on previously transferred credits, academic program, completed credits, class level and catalog year, students may not be eligible to earn additional credit in transfer.

International internship credit and independent study credit as part of an independent study abroad program will not be accepted in transfer. Transcripts from overseas institutions and programs must be in English with accompanying credit and grade conversions. If the transcript is in a foreign language, the independent study abroad participant will be responsible for paying a translation–service fee. Students who select programs that are not affiliated with Chapman are subject to a reduction of advising and transfer resources when compared to Chapman supported programs.

Preapproval and Reevaluation of Transfer Credit

Students requesting preapproval or reevaluation of transfer credit should refer to the Office of the University Registrar Web page. Detailed information regarding transfer credit policies and procedures is available under

Academic Petition Process

Academic Petitions

Chapman University is sensitive to the educational advantages of a flexible curriculum but is also conscious of a responsibility to ensure equity for all students. Permission to deviate from published regulations is neither automatic nor done as a formality; each request is considered on its own merits and in light of the petitioner's complete academic record. Internal guidelines have been established to help committee members with their deliberations on individual cases. These guidelines are not intended in any way to discourage or encourage someone to seek exception to University regulations, nor should it be inferred that these guidelines mean automatic approval of a petition request.

The Undergraduate Academic Council is responsible for creating academic policies and procedures within the University. A student's petition to deviate from general University policies is submitted to the Office of the University Registrar via an Undergraduate General Petition form. These forms may be secured online at or at the Office of the University Registrar. Initial petition review is by the Student Standards Petitions sub–committee. Petitions requiring further review are sent to the appropriate review authority, as follows:

Student Standards Committee:

Undergraduate Academic Council:

General Education Committee:

The decisions on petitions/requests made by the above units are recorded in the student's record. Please note that a fee may be assessed for certain petition types.

The following policies may not be petitioned by students:

Appeals Process

Students may appeal a decision of the Undergraduate Academic Council, General Education Committee or Student Standards Committee by providing documented evidence demonstrating one or both of the following grounds for appeal:

Students who wish to appeal a decision of the Undergraduate Academic Council, General Education Committee or Student Standards Committee must submit a written appeal within 10 working days of the date they are notified of the decision of the presiding council or committee. The written appeal must include the following:

The appeal and accompanying documents submitted to the Office of the University Registrar will be forwarded to the Office of the Provost and will not be returned to the student.

Students submitting appeals may request to meet with the assistant provost to discuss their appeals. This meeting should normally occur within five working days of submission of the materials described above. The assistant provost will consult with the presiding council or committee in reviewing the appeal.

Students will be notified of the decision of the Office of the Provost in writing. The decision of the Office of the Provost on the student academic appeals is final and there is no additional process of appeal.

Graduation Policies

Application for Degree Conferral

Although a student may have completed all requirements, graduation is not automatic. Every degree candidate is required to submit the online Application for Degree Conferral with the Office of the University Registrar. Students can apply for degree conferral after they have completed 90 credits. This does not include in-progress coursework. If the student should fail to complete requirements by the intended graduation date, the student must immediately request a future graduation date. If a student fails to complete requirements and has not requested the application be moved to a future date, the application shall become void and the student must refile when anticipating degree completion.

Submission of the application is done online via "". For information and application deadlines, refer to the Chapman University website. All degree requirements must be completed by the last day of the month in which the degree is to be conferred. Work completed at external institutions must be received on or before the conferral date in order to be considered in meeting degree requirements.


Formal University commencement ceremonies are held annually in May. To participate in ceremonies, students must file an online participation form with the Office of Institutional Events Management and Operations Office. To be eligible, at the time of the participation form deadline, students must have filed the online Application for Degree Conferral. For further event information visit

Release of Transcripts and Diplomas

No transcripts or diplomas are released to any student who has an unpaid balance to Chapman University or to any Chapman sponsored agency or who has not completed the required Financial Aid exit interview.

Diplomas are mailed out approximately three weeks after the date of conferral of the degree. Under no circumstances will a diploma be released prior to the conferral date.

Unless otherwise allowed by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, all official transcripts are issued only with written permission of the student. Information on requesting official transcripts is available at Unofficial transcripts are available only via "".

Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of each graduating student to refer to the program evaluation in "" to check which requirements have been completed and which requirements still need to be completed. A student may not shift this responsibility to an adviser or to the staff of the Office of the University Registrar.

Academic Honors

Cheverton Trophy

A gift of the class of 1929, the Cheverton Trophy displays the name of the graduating senior who has earned at Chapman at least 48 credits, has a cumulative GPA of at least 3.750, has made outstanding contributions to student activities, exhibits leadership skills and best represents the spirit of Chapman. The trophy remains on permanent display at the University.

Departmental Honors

Students who achieve outstanding performance in their major are eligible for consideration for departmental honors. Inquire at your department about the particular requirements.

Graduating with Honors

A student with superior academic achievement throughout his or her University career may be graduated with University honors. To be eligible for honors, the student must have a Chapman GPA and cumulative GPA, including all transfer work, at or above the specific honors criterion. A minimum of 54 credits must be Chapman coursework and taken for letter grades. Categories of honors are cum laude (3.500 GPA), magna cum laude (3.700 GPA) and summa cum laude (3.900 GPA). Continuing education courses will not be counted for residence credit. For notation of honors at the May commencement ceremony, a student must have all degree requirements completed or pending for May conferral date, including a minimum of 54 letter–graded Chapman credits.

Provost List

Published at the end of each semester, the Provost List includes the names of all full–time students who maintain a 3.600 GPA or higher in at least 12 credits of residence coursework taken for a letter grade. This excludes continuing education and courses by examination. Assigned Incompletes must have grades recorded within 30 days after the end of the semester to be considered for the Provost List.

University Honors Program

See the "General Information" section of the catalog.

Military and Veteran Student Services

Chapman University provides assistance to active military, veterans and their dependents who are admitted to Chapman and may be eligible for various educational benefits. Information for applying and using these benefits may be obtained by contacting the Veterans Resource Center Director located at the Veterans Resource Center at 526 N. Shaffer, Orange. Military/VA students must complete the VA Student Responsibility form before registering for their first term and submit it online to Students must also submit the VA Certification Request form prior to each term they are attending in order to be certified to receive VA benefits. Additional information regarding VA benefits can be viewed from the Chapman University Military website or from

Academic Integrity Policy

Chapman University is a community of scholars that emphasizes the mutual responsibility of all members to seek knowledge honestly and in good faith. Students are responsible for doing their own work, and academic dishonesty of any kind will be subject to sanction by the instructor/administrator and referral to the University's Academic Integrity Committee, which may impose additional sanctions up to and including expulsion. Please see the full description of Chapman University's policy on Academic Integrity at

Academic Integrity Violations

Academic dishonesty can take a number of forms including, but not limited to the following:

Cheating: Using or attempting to use unauthorized assistance, information or study aids in any academic exercise.

Fabrication: The falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise.

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty: Knowingly helping or attempting to help another to violate any provision of this policy.

Plagiarism: Representing the words, research findings or ideas of another person as your own in any academic exercise. [At their discretion, faculty may submit student work to plagiarism–detection software, such as Turnitin for review without prior notice to students.]

Misrepresentation of Academic Records: Misrepresenting, tampering with or attempting to tamper with any university academic document, either before or after coming to Chapman University.

Other Violations:

Academic Integrity in Research

Chapman University students are expected to adhere to standards of ethics and integrity in research and scholarship. Misconduct in research includes fabrication, falsification, plagiarism or other practices that deviate significantly from those that are commonly accepted within the scholarly, creative and scientific community for proposing, conducting or reviewing research or in reporting research results. Key examples of such misconduct are listed below:


Falsification of Data:

Dishonesty in Presentation and Publication:

Violation of Regulations:

Unethical Research Practices:

Legal Violations:

Academic Integrity Sanctions

Sanctions are determined by the instructor and/or the AIC. While sanctions may begin with a less severe action and then progress to more severe actions, the instructor and/or the AIC may initiate sanctions in any order, if in its opinion the circumstances so warrant. Nothing in the policy shall be construed to limit the right of the AIC to impose any form of discipline a student without a prior violation including suspension or expulsion. Generally, the order of recommended sanctions are as follows:

First violation: Instructor imposed sanction and a letter from the AIC. If the recommended sanction by the instructor (or the sanction imposed by the AIC which may be a warning, a recommendation for suspension or a recommendation for expulsion from the university) is an F grade for the course, the student cannot drop the course and the F grade cannot be eliminated by retaking the course.

Second (and subsequent) violations: Instructor imposed sanction, AIC sanction appropriate to the nature of the violation and a letter from the AIC. The AIC sanction may be a warning, a recommendation for suspension or a recommendation for expulsion from the University.

Possible Sanctions

The sanction given to a student is entirely up to the instructor/administrator based on the severity of the violation. The following are only examples of possible sanctions.

Additional Information on Sanctions

Interim Action

Important Guidelines for Students

  1. Students should strictly avoid any appearance of academic dishonesty. This includes, but is not limited to: joking to others about cheating, permitting others to cheat off them, talking during examinations, plagiarizing, fabrication or falsification of information or forging documents. Students should keep their eyes on their own exams during examinations and protect their exams from the view of others.
  2. Students should be aware and adhere to instructor guidelines for projects, papers and exam situations including use of appropriate citations. This includes the extent of independent and collaborative work allowed for an assignment. All electronic devices (cellular phones, tablets and computers) should be turned off and placed completely out of sight during test situations, unless otherwise directed by the instructor.
  3. Academic dishonesty can take a number of forms. Please see the academic integrity violations area for a number of examples.
  4. Students who discover an apparent violation of this policy should report the matter to the instructor of record or if the instructor is not known or unavailable, to the Vice President of Student Affairs/Dean of Students.

Appealing a Violation Report and/or Sanction to the Academic Integrity Committee

If the student accepts responsibility for the charge and the imposed sanction, then the matter is immediately resolved. If the allegation or founded violation represents a second violation of the Academic Integrity Policy, the AIC will review the case regardless of whether the student decides to appeal the violation report and/or sanction.

  1. Any student who has received an AIC sanction letter is encouraged to schedule a meeting with the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students or designee to discuss the situation prior to appealing the case.
  2. If the student disagrees with the violation report and/or the sanction of the instructor/administrator, the student can appeal the violation report and/or sanction to the AIC by writing an appeal letter addressed to the AIC chair. The appeal letter and any supporting documents can be sent via email to
  3. Appeals are not granted automatically as they must be thoughtful, well–reasoned and substantive and must demonstrate that at least one of the following criteria exists:

    Appeals must also include pertinent evidence supporting one of the above criteria and names of witnesses the student requests be called who have first–hand information about the matter. New evidence will not be accepted at the hearing unless it can be demonstrated that it could not have been known or available to the student at the time of the appeal. Evidence submitted will be reviewed by the AIC chair and may be denied if cumulative or not probative of the disputed facts or to the determination of the case.

  4. The AIC chair will notify the student via Chapman email whether or not the AIC has determined that there are grounds to conduct a hearing. Should the AIC determine there are grounds to conduct a hear the AIC will notice the student of the hearing and where it will be held at least five (5) Chapman University business days in advance of the scheduled hearing date.
  5. If the AIC has decide to hear the student’s case, the following individuals will invited to participate:
  6. Should the student fail to appear at the hearing before the AIC, the AIC shall have full authority to proceed in the student’s absence. Any student that misses the scheduled hearing with the AIC forfeits the right to appeal the AIC’s decision to the Office of the Provost.
  7. At the start of the hearing, the student is invited to present his/her/their case. The student has the right to present relevant evidence supporting his/her/their claims that has been previously provided to the AIC in his/her/their appeal. The student should be brief, concise, and organized in presenting his/her/their case.
  8. After the student has presented the case and all questions have been addressed, the student and faculty member will be excused and the AIC will deliberate. Deliberation may result in the following:
  9. After the AIC makes its decision, the chair will notify the student in writing and via Chapman email. Decisions of the AIC are based on the standard of proof whether it is more likely than not that the student violated the Academic Integrity Policy of Chapman University.

Appeal of the Academic Integrity Committee Decision to the Provost

If unsatisfied with the outcome of the AIC hearing to contest the violation report and/or sanction, the student may appeal the decision of the AIC to the Provost by emailing within five (5) Chapman University business days of receiving the AIC decision letter. This period is known as "the appeal period." A review will be conducted by the Provost or the Provost designee.

In exceptional circumstances, a student may file a request to the Provost for an extension to the appeal period by emailing Requests for extensions must be made within the appeal period.

Appeals are not granted automatically as they must be thoughtful, well–reasoned and substantive and must demonstrate that at least one of the following criteria exists:

Upon appeal, the Provost or his/her/their designee shall review the faculty member’s decision, sanctions and supporting evidence, and any evidence provided by the student, and may confer with the faculty member and the student. The Provost or his/her/their designee shall have the authority to uphold, modify, or overturn the AIC’s decision and sanctions.

The Provost or his/her/their designee shall notify the student, the faculty member and the Dean of Students in writing of his/her/their decision. The Provost or Provost designee’s decision is final on all Academic Integrity Policy violation cases. No further review or consideration will be granted following this decision.