• A financial aid counselor meeting with a Chapman University student
Undergraduate Admission

Financing Your Chapman Education

» Explore Your Financial Aid Options

Cost shouldn’t discourage you from applying. We offer merit aid, institutional awards and need-based financial aid to students who qualify. In addition:

  • Every year, we invest over $90 million in our students, with more than 80% of undergraduates receiving some form of aid. 
  • The average award for fall 2019 is over $28,000 per student.
  • Approximately 18% of our students are awarded Pell Grants.


Types of Aid

Most college funding comes from a variety of sources, including aid and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Below are the types of aid. For more details on funding your education, visit our Undergraduate Financial Aid website.

Merit Aid and Institutional Awards

Merit aid recognizes achievement in high school and is based on grades and test scores. First-year scholarships range in amount, but can be as high as $32,000 per year.

If applying by the deadline, students are automatically considered for these awards. If earned, merit scholarship information will be included with your offer of admission.

You can put yourself in a great position to earn a merit scholarship by taking (and excelling) in Advanced Placement (AP) classes and putting in serious test preparation. You can use your GPA and test scores to estimate your merit scholarship with our Net Cost Calculator.

Select admitted students will also be offered institutional awards. These include awards for first-generation and underrepresented students, as well as awards from departments and schools/colleges. You can learn more about these on our Institutional Awards page.

Federal and State Grants

You may be eligible for a federal and/or state grant to help fund your education. You can learn more about Cal Grants, Pell Grants and the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) on our Federal and State grants webpage.

Federal Work Study

Work Study is a need-based financial aid award that allows recipients to work up to 19 hours on campus while at Chapman. You can learn more on our Work Study page.

Student Loans

Loans are a common way to help fund your undergraduate degree. Our Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid is here to help you determine your options. You can learn more on our Student Loans page.

Outside Scholarships

There are great opportunities to get additional funding through outside scholarships from individuals, companies, foundations and charitable organizations. Our Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid also frequently posts outside scholarship opportunities on their Facebook page.

Learn more about outside scholarships »

Follow Financial Aid on Facebook »

Additional Funding Resources

Depending on what type of student you are, you may have unique additional funding opportunities.

Funding for Transfer Students

Merit/academic scholarships are reserved for our most qualified transfer students. We consider GPA, progress within general education, quality of college curriculum and past/current grade patterns. Institutional awards are also open to transfer students.

Funding for International Students

International first-year and transfer students are eligible for merit-based scholarships. Merit-based scholarships are awarded based upon the applicant’s performance on standardized tests and in the classroom, strength of curriculum and at the discretion of the Admission Committee.

Chapman also offers limited need-based aid, up to $15,000, for international applicants.

You can find out more on our Cost of Attendance for International Undergraduates webpage.

Funding for Veterans and Military Dependents

Chapman University is pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program of the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. To learn more about resources for veterans and dependents, visit the Veterans Resource Center’s Financial Resources page.

Funding for Undocumented Students

Every applicant to Chapman is considered for merit aid, regardless of citizenship. Additional financial assistance may still be granted to those who qualify, and undocumented students that reside in California may qualify for a Cal Grant via the DREAM Act.

You can learn more about applying for a Cal Grant, and other funding options, on our Resources for Undocumented Applicants page.