The flags at Global Citizens Plaza at Chapman University
Graduate Admission

» International Student Frequently Asked Questions

Our frequently asked questions are designed to answer questions whether you are an international student interested in a program, already applying or have been admitted.

If you can not find the answer to your question below, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help.

Prospective International Student Questions

Expand All
Collapse All

+ - Am I considered an international student?

Chapman considers any non-U.S. citizen or non-Permanent Resident who will be entering (or has already entered) the United States on a visa an international student. Those who have pending Permanent Resident, Refugee or Asylee status are considered international students.

U.S. citizens studying outside the United States are considered domestic students during the admission process.

Undocumented applicants are considered international students during the admission process.

Green Card holders are considered domestic students.

+ - Are there other international students at Chapman?

Absolutely! There are currently over 550 international students at Chapman who come from more than 80 countries.

Learn more about current and past international students on our Meet Our International Graduate Students page.

There are numerous ways for our international students to connect to the Chapman community. We have several globally focused student organizations and clubs that provide opportunities for students to connect with communities of similar interests.

+ - If I am not able to visit campus, can I still speak with a graduate admission counselor?

Yes, our counselors are available to answer any questions you might have.  Get in touch with us by

+ - Who do I contact with questions about a specific graduate program?

Every program has its own admission counselor who will be happy to help you. Visit our Contact Us page to find the name and contact information for your program’s counselor.

+ - Is there anyone I can speak to in my country about Chapman’s graduate programs?

Chapman partners with EducationUSA, which has advising centers in 170 countries. EducationUSA advisors can work with you on finding the right graduate program for you in the United States. Visit their website to find an advising center near you.

+ - Am I eligible for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for U.S. federal financial aid at Chapman.

However, department scholarships and fellowships are available to qualified international students. Please contact the counselor for your program of interest for more information about scholarships and fellowships.

+ - How much does it cost to attend a graduate program at Chapman University?

Tuition varies by program. View current tuition and fee information for detailed information regarding your graduate program’s tuition cost.

In addition to tuition costs, students will need to consider mandatory fees, books and supplies, living expenses and health insurance. Our International Student Supplement Guide has estimates of these costs.

For your convenience, here is a link to an online currency converter.

Note: Scholarship amounts will not change due to unforeseen circumstances in your financial situation, including but not limited to: family difficulties, political changes in your home country, currency devaluations or fluctuations, etc. Be prepared to cover all costs associated with attending Chapman University for the duration of your degree program.

International Applicant Questions

Expand All
Collapse All

+ - How do I apply to a graduate program?

The application deadline, requirements and process differ by graduate program. Visit your program’s webpage to learn about the application process or find specific application information below:

+ - What documentation do you need from international applicants to graduate programs?

You can view a list of required materials on our International Students page.

+ - Is the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required?

You can find the list of graduate programs that require a GRE on our Apply page.

+ - Is an English-proficiency exam required? What are the required minimum scores?

Yes, we require international students who have not received a degree at an institute where English was the only language used to demonstrate English proficiency at the time of admission with the submission of English language exams.

If you completed your undergraduate degree or higher, at an institution where English was not the primary language of instruction, you must submit minimum scores from an English-language exam.

Applicants for all Dodge College and Ph.D. programs must submit minimum scores from one of the following English-language exams:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 100 (Internet-Based Test)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 68
  • Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE): Level C1

Applicants for MBA & M.S. in Accounting programs must submit minimum scores from one of the following English-language exams:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 87 (Internet-Based Test)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 59
  • Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE): Level C1

Applicants for all other M.A. or M.S. programs must submit minimum scores from one of the following English-language exams:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80 (Internet-Based Test) or 20 each section (revised Paper-Delivered Test)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 53
  • Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE): Level C1


+ - What if my official transcripts are not in English?

You are required to submit official transcripts in both the original language and English. If your university does not provide translations of your transcript, you will need to have your transcripts officially translated, line-by-line and word-by-word.

+ - Where do I send my transcripts, official copy of diploma and English translations?

Graduate applicants that attended school outside of the U.S. can email unofficial copies of their transcripts to Unofficial copies can only be used for evaluation and review purposes.

While we can accept unofficial transcripts for the application process, we will require official documents upon admission. All official documents should be sent directly from your institute to the address below:

Chapman University
Office of Graduate Admission
One University Drive
Orange, CA 92866

+ - Can I check my application status online?

Most graduate program applicants can check the status of their application through Self-Service. If you have any trouble logging in, please contact us at

If you are applying to any of the following programs you can check the status of your application through the CAS application:

+ - Do my Letters of Recommendation need to be in English?

Yes, all Letters of Recommendation should be in English. Please contact us at if you have any questions or concerns regarding this requirement.

Admitted International Student Questions

Expand All
Collapse All

+ - What are housing options for international graduate students?

Campus-Owned Housing Options for Orange Campus Students

Chapman has a limited number of apartments set aside for graduate students at both small apartment buildings surrounding campus, and in our Panther Village property (2 miles from campus). To be considered for these apartment units, please complete the Graduate Housing Request Form.

Off-Campus Housing for Orange or Rinker (Irvine) Campuses

Chapman maintains a list of websites where you can find rental listings, including off-campus options.

The Off Campus Rental Listings Database is a list of private landlords posting their available rentals. This includes rooms for rent in a private home, apartments or full-house rentals. Please use your Chapman username and password to access this listing.

  • In the Local Communities section, you’ll find a list of apartment communities in the Chapman neighborhood, as well as listings for students studying at the Rinker Health Science Campus.
Join the Chapman Off Campus Housing and Roommate Corner Facebook page to connect with other graduate students.

+ - Who do I contact about visa questions?

Please contact either:

Susan Sams
International Student & Scholar Services Specialist
(714) 997-6829

Junko Takada
International Student & Scholar Services Assistant
(714) 744-2110

+ - How do I obtain my I-20 or do a SEVIS transfers?

After you have been admitted to the university and paid your enrollment deposit, you will need to complete the International Student Supplement Form.

After submitting the form and financial certification, the I-20 will be issued by International Student & Scholar Services office. This form will be available in your Applicant Status Page after you have been admitted.

+ - What is the International Student Supplement Form and when do I submit it?

All international students, regardless of visa type, must submit a completed International Student Supplement Form to provide Chapman with information about your country or countries of citizenship, current and anticipated visa status and passport information. If you require an I-20, this is the first step to begin the process for obtaining a student visa. This form will be available in your Applicant Status Page after you have been admitted.

U.S. citizens, permanent residents (Green Card holders) and those who have been granted refugee or asylee status, do not need to submit this form.

For students expecting to hold an F-1/J-1 Student Visa, the International Student Supplement Form also provides Chapman with required sponsorship information and financial verification.

After being admitted, you will be sent information on how to access the Supplement Form. For information regarding this process, please refer to our International Student Supplement and Financial Documentation Instructions.

+ - How can I connect with the Chapman community as a graduate student?

Chapman offers graduate students several opportunities to connect beyond their program. These are great ways to share resources, build relationships and expand personal and professional networks:

  • The Graduate Student Association (GSA) is Chapman’s Graduate Student Government, represented by a graduate student from each college. The GSA organizes events and activities for all graduate students. Join the Chapman University Graduate Student Association Facebook Group to receive updates.
  • Be sure to check the web page for the specific program you are interested in (and follow them on social media as well). There could be multiple opportunities for you to get involved with activities directly related to your academic/professional interests.
  • There are also program-specific Graduate Student Clubs and Organizations on campus.

+ - How do I make a payment to Chapman?

You can view can review all payment options, including an international wire transfer, on the University’s Making a Payment webpage.

+ - Can I work in the United States?

International students can work on campus for up to 19 hours per week. On-campus jobs are not guaranteed and cannot be arranged prior to arrival. An on-campus job may provide you with spending money, but will not cover the cost of tuition, living expenses or fees.

For more information, visit the Student Employment Office’s web page.

International students may have restrictions with working off-campus,  depending on visa type. After the first year on an F-1 visa, an international student can work off-campus at an internship if it relates to their major. The International Student & Scholar Services office is available to help with visa and work-related questions for enrolled international students.

+ - What resources are available for international students?

Each semester, Chapman's International Student & Scholar Services Office offers workshops and events to help you navigate the American classroom and workplace culture, as well as connect and network with other international students.

Our Career and Professional Development Office offers a Passport Career Preparation Certificate Program. The six-week program provides international students with professional development support to gain key competencies and skills for successful transition into the American workplace. Students who complete the Passport Career Preparation Certificate Program are also invited to participate in exclusive networking opportunities.

Each fall the Vice Provost for Graduate Education offers International Graduate Students additional support for their academic writing, reading and speaking skills in the English language. For more information, please reach out to your graduate department directly.

Contact Us

General Questions

(714) 997-6711


Program Questions

Find your program-specific contacts on our Contact Us page


Talk to a Counselor Now

red Skype logoSkype Username:

red WhatsApp logoWhatsApp Contact:
CUGrad or +1(657) 304-3126


Office Hours
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. PST
View campus maps