Graduate Admission

» International Students

Global education is central to Chapman University. At Chapman, you will receive a personalized education that will not only help you adjust to the American educational system, but will also prepare you to take your place as a productive global citizen.

Students come to Chapman from all 50 states, each U.S. territory, and 88 countries, including Brazil, Canada, China, India, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.

International students seek out Chapman not only for its location in sunny Southern California, but also the incredible opportunities, including international internships, graduate research, study abroad programs, student activities, and leadership development. View our International Graduate Student Guide for more details on Chapman.

Due to government regulations, the following programs are unable to accept international students until they receive full approval: Doctor of Pharmacy and MMS Physician Assistant Studies.  International students are eligible for all other graduate programs. For more information, contact intladmit@chapman.edu.

A Note from our President

As President of Chapman University, I want to reassure all of our students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends, that we care about and welcome you. Chapman University's mission is to develop global citizens and included in that mission are students from every heritage, ethnicity and religion. We remain committed to this mission and to the strength of our community. 

 Daniele C. Struppa, Ph.D
 President, Chapman University

Meet Our 13th President

Prospective International Students

+ - Does Chapman University consider me an International Student?

An International student is any non-US citizen or non-Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) who will be entering, or has already entered, the US on a visa. This includes those who may be pending Permanent Resident, Refugee or Asylee status. 

U.S. Citizens studying outside of the United States are considered domestic students during the application process.

Students who are undocumented are welcome to apply and will be considered an International student throughout the admission process.

+ - Will there be students like me at Chapman?

There are currently over 550 international students at Chapman who come from 88 countries around the world.

For more detailed information about our international student population, check out our International Students At a Glance page! You can learn more about some current and past international students on our Meet Our International Graduate Students page.

There are numerous ways for our international students to connect to the Chapman community. We have several globally focused student organizations and clubs which all provide opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives and connect with communities of similar interests. 

+ - Will I have a chance to speak with an admission counselor from Chapman if I cannot come to campus to visit?

Our graduate counselors are available by phone or email. Please contact the Graduate Admission Office directly at 1-888-282-7759 (888-CU-APPLY) or via email at gradadmit@chapman.edu to connect with the counselor of the program you are interested in applying to.

We encourage you to take a few moments to Discover Chapman (video) and see what we’re all about!

+ - What if I have specific questions about a graduate program?

Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at gradadmit@chapman.edu or 1-888-282-7759.

+ - Are international students eligible for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for U.S. Federal financial aid at Chapman. Department Scholarships and Fellowships are available to qualified international students. Please contact the specific department for further information about scholarships and fellowships.

+ - What is the cost of attending Chapman University?

Tuition varies by program. View current tuition and fee information for detailed information regarding tuition costs.

For your convenience, here’s a link to an online currency converter.

Note: Scholarship amounts will not change due to unforseen circumstances in your financial situation, including but not limited to: family difficulties, political changes in your home country, currency devaluations or fluctuations, etc. Be prepared to cover all costs associated with attending Chapman University for the duration of your degree program. 

+ - What are the housing options for international graduate students?

Campus Owned Housing Options - Orange

Chapman has limited apartments set aside for graduate students at both small apartment buildings surrounding campus, and in our Panther Village property, which is just 2 miles from campus.  To be considered for any of these apartment units, please fill out the Graduate Housing Waitlist Application

Off Campus Housing Listings – Orange and Rinker

There are many websites where you can find rental listings, including a list of off campus rental listings, maintained by Chapman. The Off Campus Rental Listings Database is a list of private landlords posting their available rentals, including rooms for rent in a private home, apartments, to full house rentals. Please use your Chapman username and password to access this listing. 

In the Local Communities section, you’ll find a list of apartment communities in the Chapman neighborhood, as well as listings for those students that will be studying at the Rinker Health Science Campus.

Join the Chapman Off Campus Housing and Roommate Corner Facebook page to connect with other graduate students!


+ - How can I apply for graduate admission?

Visit the home page of the program you are interested in applying to so you may learn more about their specific admission requirements.

To view application deadlines, click here.

Complete an online application for graduate admission.

+ - What documentation does Chapman require from international applicants?

Additional application requirements for our international applicants can be found here.

+ - Do I need to take a graduate exam?

The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for the following programs:

  • Ph.D. Education
  • MS Communication Sciences and Disorders
  • MA School Counseling
  • EdS School Psychology
  • MS Food Science
  • Health and Strategic Communication
  • MS Economic Systems Design
  • MS Computational and Data Science

The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for all MBA programs.

All Credential programs from the College of Educational Sciences require the GRE only if the cumulative grade point average (GPA) of your bachelor’s degree is below a 2.75.

MA Marriage and Family Therapy requires the GRE only if your GPA is below a 3.30.

For all other programs, the GRE is required if the cumulative GPA of your bachelor’s degree is below a 3.00. If the cumulative GPA is between 2.5 and 2.99 you may be considered for admission by submitting a satisfactory test score. Please refer to the current Chapman University Graduate Course Catalog for program specific acceptable tests and minimum score requirements.

+ - Do I have to take an English Proficiency exam? What are the required minimum scores to attend Chapman?

Chapman will accept the following English Proficiency exams: TOEFL, IELTS, PTEA, or CAE

Applicants who have completed their bachelor’s degree or higher at an institution where English was not the language of instruction must submit scores for an English Proficiency exam. Minimum scores for each program are listed below:

  • Applicants must achieve a minimum score of:
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 550 (PBT) or 80 (iBT)
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 53
    • Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): Level C1 
  • Conservatory of Motion Pictures (Dodge College), Ph.D. Education and Ph.D. Computational Science applicants must achieve a minimum score of:
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 600 (PBT) or 87 (iBT)
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 59
    • Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): Level C1       
  • MBA applicants must achieve a minimum score of: 
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 600 (PBT) or 87 (iBT)
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 59
    • Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): Level C1

+ - What if my official transcripts are not in English?

  • You are required to submit official transcripts in both the original language and English. If your university does not provide translations of your transcript, you will need to have your transcripts officially translated, line-by-line and word-by-word exactly. You will need to submit both the official transcripts and the official translation.

+ - Where do I send my transcripts, official copy of diploma, and English translations?

  • While unofficial copies of your transcripts can be emailed to gradadmit@chapman.edu and used for evaluation and review purposes only, all official documents should be sent directly from your institute to the address below:
    • Chapman University 
      Office of Graduate Admission 
      One University Drive 
      Orange, CA 92866 

+ - Can I check my application status online?

You may check the status of your application through Self-Service. If you have any troubles logging in or with your Username & Password, please contact us at gradadmit@chapman.edu.

If you are Doctor of Physical Therapy or MS Communication Sciences and Disorders applicant, you may check the status of your application through PTCAS or CSDCAS, respectively.

Admitted Students

+ - Who do I contact for my questions about the Visa Process?

Please contact Susan Sams, International Student & Scholar Services Specialist, at sams@chapman.edu or (714) 997-6829.

+ - How do I obtain my I-20 or do a SEVIS transfer?

After you have been admitted to the university and have paid your enrollment deposit, you will need to complete the International Student Supplement Form, then the I-20 will be issued by International Student Services.

+ - What is the International Student Supplement Form and when do I need to submit it?

All International Students, regardless of Visa type, must submit a completed International Student Supplement Form. US Citizens, Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), and those who have been granted refugee or asylee status, do not need to submit this form. This form will be available in your applicant status page after you have been admitted.

The International Student Supplement Form provides Chapman University with information about your country or countries of citizenship, current and anticipated Visa status, as well as passport information. For students expecting to hold an F-1/J-1 Student Visa, the International Student Supplement Form also provides Chapman University with required sponsorship information and financial verification.

Should you be admitted into our program, you will be sent information on how to access the Supplement Form. For information regarding this process you please refer to our International Student Supplement and Financial Documentation Instructions.

+ - What are the opportunities to connect with the Chapman community as a graduate student?

Chapman offers an opportunity for graduate students to connect beyond their program so they may share resources, build relationships, and expand their connections.

The Graduate Student Council is Chapman’s Graduate Student Government consisting of representatives from each college. The GSC organizes events and activities for all graduate students to attend and enjoy! Be sure to join the Graduate Student Council-Chapman University Facebook Group to receive updates and notifications!

There are also many ways for you to become connected to Chapman University via social media.



 Be sure to check out the home page of the specific program you are interested in to follow them on social media as well! You can also check out all the program specific Graduate Student Clubs and Organizations on campus.

+ - What are the Wire Transfer Details?

Click here for more information on making a payment

Account Name:
Chapman University General Operating Account
One University Drive
Attention: Financial Services Dept.
Orange, CA 92866

Name of Bank: 
Wells Fargo Bank - Orange Plaza
Orange Plaza Branch
101 E. Chapman Ave

Orange, CA  92866

Account Number: 9286-0000-1111-2222-3
ABA Number(Routing Number): 121-000-248
International Wires, Swift code: WFBIUS6WFFX Students must include their name, student ID number, and reason for wire transfer such as: Application Fee, Enrollment deposit, or Housing deposit. If depositing for both (enrollment and housing) please send two separate deposits marked accordingly.

+ - Can International Students work in the US?

International students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week. On campus jobs are not guaranteed and cannot be arranged prior to arrival on campus. An on-campus job may provide students with additional spending money, but will not cover the cost of tuition, living expenses or fees.

International students may have restrictions with working off campus depending on their visa type. On an F1 visa, after the first year, an international student can work off campus at an internship if it relates to their major. The International Student Scholars Services Office is available to help with all visa and work-related questions for enrolled international students.

For more information, visit the Student Employment Office’s Website.

+ - What resources are available for International Students on campus?

Chapman's International Student & Scholar Service Office offers Workshops and Events each semester to help students navigate the American classroom and workplace culture, as well as connect and network with International Students.

In addition, our Career and Professional Development Office offers a six-week program each semester to International Students, providing them with the professional development support to gain key competencies and skills for succesddul transition into the American workplace. Students who complete the Passport Career Preparation Certificate Program are also invited to exclusive networking opportunities. 

Each Fall semester, the Vice Provost for Graduate Education offers International Graduate Students additional support for their academic writing, reading, and speaking skills in the English language. For more information, please reach out to your Graduate Department directly. 

Contact Us

For general questions:
(714) 997-6711


Connect with a counselor now!

Skype Username:

 WhatsApp Contact:
 CUGrad or +1(657) 304-3126


Office Hours:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. PST


For program specific contacts: 
Visit our contact page

For directions to Chapman:
View campus map

EducationUSA logo
EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department‘s network of hundreds of advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate U.S. college or university.