Graduate Admission

» International Students

Global education is central to Chapman University. At Chapman, you will receive a personalized education that will not only help you adjust to the American educational system, but will also prepare you to take your place as a productive global citizen.

Students come to Chapman from all 50 states, each U.S. territory, and 88 countries, including Brazil, Canada, China, India, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom.

International students seek out Chapman not only for its location in sunny Southern California, but also the incredible opportunities, including international internships, graduate research, study abroad programs, student activities, and leadership development. View our International Graduate Student Guide for more details on Chapman.

* Due to government regulations, the following programs are unable to accept international students until they receive full approval: Doctor of Pharmacy and MMS Physician Assistant Studies.  International students are eligible for all other graduate programs.  For more information, contact intladmit@chapman.edu.

Prospective International Students

+ - Does Chapman University consider me an International Student?

You are considered an international student if you are not a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card holder, refugee, or asylee), regardless of where you are studying.

U.S. Citizens studying outside of the United States are considered domestic students during the application process.

Undocumented students are considered as domestic students during the application process. For additional resources, please visit our undocumented student webpage.

+ - Will there be students like me at Chapman?

There are currently over 450 international students at Chapman who come from 88 countries around the world including, China, Saudi Arabia, India, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, France, Brazil, and Taiwan.

For more detailed information about our international student population, check out our International Students At a Glance page! You can learn more about some current and past international students on our Meet Our International Graduate Students page.

There are numerous ways for our international students to connect to the Chapman community. We have several globally focused student organizations and clubs which all provide opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives and connect with communities of similar interests. 

+ - Will I have a chance to speak with an admission counselor from Chapman if I cannot come to campus to visit?

Our graduate counselors are available by phone or email. Please contact the Graduate Admission Office directly at 1-888-282-7759 (888-CU-APPLY) or via email at gradadmit@chapman.edu to connect with the counselor of the program you are interested in applying to.

We encourage you to take a few moments to Discover Chapman (video) and see what we’re all about!

+ - What if I have specific questions about a graduate program?

Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at gradadmit@chapman.edu or 1-888-282-7759.

+ - Are international students eligible for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for U.S. Federal financial aid at Chapman. Department Scholarships and fellowships are available to qualified international students. Please contact the specific department for further information about scholarships and fellowships.

+ - What is the cost of attending Chapman University?

View current tuition and fee information.

For your convenience, here’s a link to an online currency converter.


+ - How can I apply for graduate admission?

Visit our degree and program page to find the program you are interested in applying to so you may learn more about their specific admission requirements.

Also, view application deadlines or complete an online application for graduate admission.

+ - What documentation does Chapman require from international applicants?

+ - Do I need to take a graduate exam?

The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for the following programs:

° Ph.D. Education ° MS Communication Sciences and Disorders
° MA School Counseling      ° EdS School Psychology
° MS Food Science   ° Health and Strategic Communication
° MS Computational and Data Science  ° PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences
° MS Behavioral and Computational Economics

The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for all MBA programs.

All Credential programs from the College of Educational Sciences require the GRE only if the cumulative grade point average (GPA) of your bachelor’s degree is below a 2.75.

MA Marriage and Family Therapy requires the GRE only if your GPA is below a 3.30.

For all other programs, the GRE is required if the cumulative GPA of your bachelor’s degree is below a 3.00. If the cumulative GPA is between 2.5 and 2.99 you may be considered for admission by submitting a satisfactory test score. Please refer to the current Chapman University Graduate Course Catalog for program specific acceptable tests and minimum score requirements.

+ - Do I have to take an English Proficiency exam? What are the required minimum scores to attend Chapman?

Chapman will accept the following English Proficiency exams: TOEFL, IELTS, PTEA, or CAE.

Applicants who have completed their bachelor’s degree or higher at an institution where English was not the primary language of instruction must submit scores for an English Proficiency exam. Chapman University's institution code for the TOEFL is 4047. Minimum scores for each program are listed below:

  • Applicants must achieve a minimum score of:
    • General Applicants must achieve a minimum score of: 
      – Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80 (iBT), 550 (PBT) or 20 each section (revised Paper-Delivered Test)
      – International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5 
      – Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 53
      – Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): 180
    • Conservatory of Motion Pictures (Dodge College)Ph.D. Education and Ph.D. Computational Science applicants must achieve a minimum score of: 
      – Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 100 (iBT), 600 (PBT) or 25 each section (revised Paper-Delivered Test)
      – International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
      – Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 68
      – Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): 180
    • MBA and MS in Accounting applicants must achieve a minimum score of: 
      – Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 87 (iBT), 600 (PBT) or 22 each section (revised Paper-Delivered Test)
      – International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
      – Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 59
      – Cambridge English Advanced Exam(CAE): 180

+ - What if my official transcripts are not in English?

You are required to submit official transcripts in both the native language and English. If your university does not provide translations of your transcript, you will need to have your transcript translated, line-by-line and word-by-word exactly. You will need to submit both the official transcripts and the official translation.

+ - Where do I send my transcripts, copy of diploma, English translations and financial documents?

All official documents should be sent to:

      Chapman University 
      Office of Graduate Admission 
      One University Drive 
      Orange, CA 92866 

If you attended university outside of the U.S., unofficial copies of your international transcripts can be uploaded in the application or emailed to gradadmit@chapman.edu and used for evaluation and review purposes only. Students who are granted admission will be required to submit official academic records.  

Applicants from Chinese institutions should request and submit official transcripts directly through the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC). Requests are processed by CHESICC and will be sent electronically to the Chapman University Office of Graduate Admission. You will not need to submit a paper copy of your transcript. Go here to get started.

+ - Can I check my application status online?

You may check the status of your application through the Self-Service application portal. If you have any troubles logging in or with your Username & Password, please contact us at gradadmit@chapman.edu.

If you are Doctor of Physical Therapy, MS Athletic Training, MMS in Physician Assistant Studies, Doctor of Pharmacy, or MS Communication Sciences and Disorders applicant, you may check the status of your application through PTCAS, ATCASCASPA, PharmCAS, or CSDCAS, respectively.

Admitted Students

+ - Learn more about Chapman University

View our International Graduate Student Handbook for details for your transition into our community.

+ - Who do I contact for my questions about the Visa Process?

Please contact Susan Sams, International Student & Scholar Services Specialist, at sams@chapman.edu or (714) 997-6829.

+ - Can I get advice from any current or past International Graduate Students?

Hear from current Graduate students on our International Student Profiles page.

+ - How do I obtain my I-20 or do a SEVIS transfer?

After you have been admitted to the university and have paid your enrollment deposit, you will need to complete the International Student Supplement Form, then the I-20 will be issued by International Student Services.

+ - What is the International Student Supplement Form and when do I need to submit it?

All international students, regardless of visa type must submit a completed International Student Supplement Form. US Citizens, Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), those who hold refugee or asylee status, and DACA students do not need to submit this form. This form will be available in your applicant status page after you have been admitted.

The International Student Supplement Form provides Chapman University with information about your country or countries of citizenship, current and anticipated visa status, as well as passport information. For students expecting to hold an F-1/J-1 Student Visa, the International Student Supplement Form also provides Chapman University with required sponsorship information and financial verification.

Should you be admitted into our program, you will be sent information on how to access the Supplement Form. For information regarding this process you please refer to our International Student Supplement and Financial documentation Instructions.

+ - What are the housing options for international graduate students?

Campus Owned Housing Options - Orange

Chapman has limited apartments set aside for graduate students at both small apartment buildings surrounding campus, and in our Panther Village property, which is just 2 miles from campus.  To be considered for any of these apartment units, please fill out the Graduate Housing Waitlist Application

Off Campus Housing Listings – Orange and Rinker

There are many websites where you can find rental listings, including a list of off campus rental listings, maintained by Chapman.   The Off Campus Rental Listings Database is a list of private landlords posting their available rentals, including rooms for rent in a private home, apartments, to full house rentals.  Please use your Chapman username and password to access this listing. 

In the Local Communities section, you’ll find a list of apartment communities in the Chapman neighborhood, as well as listings for those students that will be studying at the Rinker Health Science Campus.

Join the Chapman Off Campus Housing and Roommate Corner Facebook page to connect with other graduate students!

+ - What are the opportunities to connect with the Chapman community as a graduate student?

Chapman offers an opportunity for graduate students to connect beyond their program so they may share resources, build relationships, and expand their connections.

The Graduate Student Council is Chapman’s Graduate Student Government consisting of representatives from each college. The GSC organizes events and activities for all graduate students to attend and enjoy! Be sure to join the Graduate Student Council-Chapman University Facebook Group to receive updates and notifications!

The International Student Services office hosts workshops and events for international students.

There are also many ways for you to become connected to Chapman University via social media.

        CU Monogram icon facebook logo instagram logo twitter logo icon YouTube logo icon Tumblr logo icon

Be sure to check out the home page of the specific program you are interested in to follow them on social media as well! You can also check out all the program specific Graduate Student Clubs and Organizations on campus.

+ - What are the Wire Transfer Details?

Click here for more information on making a payment

Account Name:
Chapman University General Operating Account
One University Drive
Attention: Financial Services Dept.
Orange, CA 92866

Name of Bank: 
Wells Fargo Bank - Orange Plaza
Orange Plaza Branch
101 E. Chapman Ave
Orange, CA  92866

Account Number: 9286-0000-1111-2222-3
ABA Number(Routing Number): 121-000-248
International Wires, Swift code: WFBIUS6WFFX Students must include their name, student ID number, and reason for wire transfer such as: Application Fee, Enrollment deposit, or Housing deposit. If depositing for both (enrollment and housing) please send two separate deposits marked accordingly.

+ - Can International Students work in the US?

International students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week. On-campus jobs are not guaranteed and cannot be arranged prior to arrival on campus. An on-campus job may provide students with additional spending money, but will not cover the cost of tuition, living expenses, or fees.

International students may have restrictions with working off campus depending on their visa type. On an F1 visa, after the first year, an international student can work off campus at an internship if it relates to their major. The International Student Scholars Services Office is available to help with all visa and work-related questions for enrolled international students.

For more information, visit the Student Employment Office’s Website.

Contact Us

For general questions:
(714) 997-6711

Connect with a counselor now!

red skype iconSkype Username:

WhatsApp Contact:
CUGrad or +1 (657) 304-3126

Office Hours:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. PST

For program specific contacts: 
Visit our contact page

For directions to Chapman:
View campus map

EducationUSA logo
EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department‘s network of hundreds of advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate U.S. college or university.