The CCI Education and Resource Team (CERT) is an advisory group based out of the Student Affairs Division that is devoted to a stronger, more inclusive community at Chapman University. The purpose of CERT is to promote civility and respect by educating our community and empowering those affected by alleged incidents related to issues including, but not limited to, bias, hate, or discrimination. The team will actively involve those affected as well other students, faculty, and staff in shaping responses to various reported incidents.
CERT carries out its mission by:
- Recommending institutional response to bias related incidents
- Collecting information reported to or by Chapman students about incidents possibly connected to bias, hate, or discrimination
- Collaborating with various campus partners and student to document incidents of bias affecting the Chapman student community
- Advocating for and empowering those who report or who are affected by bias incidents so they may actively participate in shaping constructive responses that renew their ability to live and learn at and beyond Chapman's campus.
- Responding to bias incidents or other related issues that adversely affect the Chapman community by connecting affected students or student groups with currently existing support, resources, and opportunities for dialogue and change or, as needed, recommending and supporting new resources.
- Educating faculty, staff, and students on how to report and respond to bias incidents
- Offering preventative education and information about how bias, hate, and discrimination affects the entire campus community
- Conducting follow-up with affected individuals or groups after recommendations and/or connection to resources is made to assess response, campus resources, and future directions
The CERT team is based out of the Student Affairs Division. Its current members represent the following areas: