Purpose: To support students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including but not limited to, students with high financial need, community college students, students in under-represented fields such as the sciences and engineering, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds, and students with disabilities.
- Recipient of a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the study abroad period
- Accepted into an accredited study abroad program or internship and receiving college credit
- Student must study for at least four weeks in one country
Candidate Profile: See purpose statement above.
- Up to $5,000
- Varies by length of stay and student need; average award approximately $4,000
- Recipients also eligible to receive an additional $3,000 Critical Need Language Supplement from the Gilman Scholarship Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000
Deadline: Normally March for summer and fall programs; October for spring programs.