The Office of Research & Sponsored Programs Administration (ORSPA) houses the institutional team responsible for reviewing all research applications or proposals that university investigators submit to government and private funding agencies.
Pre-award administration assists with identification of funding opportunities and solicitations and also offers guidance to the investigator on application processes and proposal review. As the institution's official administrative office targeted to this purpose, ORSPA ensures that proposals comply with the sponsor’s guidelines as well as federal, state, local and university policies prior to submission. We review proposal budgets to ensure that costs are calculated correctly, appropriately, and matched to the proposed scope of work. Pre-award administration also facilitates award receipt, negotiation and acceptance, after which the award is passed on to post-award administrators in the Office of Contracts and Grants.
ORSPA provides investigators with guidance and expertise in:
- Finding funding opportunities and navigating sponsor rules, guidelines and requirements
- Planning and designing research projects
- Conceptualizing project ideas and goals
- Setting tasks and work plans
- Developing budgets
- Writing narrative summaries and descriptions
- Assisting with letters of support
- Contacting program officers
- Complying with approved institutional methods of proposal submission to sponsors
- Assisting with contract negotiations, NDAs, and coordination with the Office of Legal Affairs
- Negotiating award acceptance, including modifying budgets, overseeing rewrites and resubmittals
- Observing mandatory compliance for research including human subjects, animals subjects, biosafety, export controls and research integrity, among other issues