As the institution's official administrative office, ORSPA ensures that proposals comply with sponsor’s guidelines as well as federal, state, local and university policies prior to submission.
The mission of The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Administration (ORSPA) is to:
- enhance the environment for research, scholarship and creative activity at Chapman;
- encourage and facilitate external funding for faculty and staff projects; and
- support the University's pursuit of academic excellence and national recognition.
ORSPA provides investigators with guidance and expertise in:
- Finding funding opportunities and navigating sponsor rules, guidelines and requirements;
- Planning and designing projects and conceptualizing ideas, goals and outcomes;
- Setting tasks and work plans;
- Developing budgets;
- Drafting narrative summaries and descriptions;
- Contacting program officers to ensure projects are in line with sponsor priorities;
- Complying with approved institutional methods of proposal submission to sponsors;
- Assisting with contract negotiations in coordination with the Office of Legal Affairs as required for award approval;
- Negotiating award acceptance, including postsubmission modifications such as budget modifications, narrative revisions and clarifications; and
- Observing mandatory compliance for research involving human subjects, animals subjects, biosafety, export controls, research integrity and financial conflict of interest.