HEALTHY DECISION OR UNHEALTHY OVERSIGHT?:
A Legal Debate On The Affordable Care Act and the Impact of the Supreme Court's Recent Decision
October 19, 2012
8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Presented by Chapman University Fowler School of Law's Nexus Journal of Law and Policy
California MCLE credit (materials available by clicking on the speakers title)
***NOTE: IF YOU MISSED THE SYMPOSIUM,
YOU CAN NOW VIEW THE WEBCAST LINKED TO PANEL TITLES BELOW:
Check-in & Registration (8:30 - 9:00 a.m.)
Introduction by Professor David Dowling (9:00 - 9:15 a.m.)
Opening Keynote Presentation: The Triple Aim Challenge: Better Health, Better Care, Lower Cost (9:15 - 10:15 a.m.) VIEW WEBCAST »
- Diana S. Dooley (Secretary, California Health and Human Services Agency)
- Moderator: Dr. Tom Campbell (Dean and Donald P. Kennedy Chair in Law and Professor of Economics, Chapman University School of Law)
Panel I: Constitutional Issues and Future Litigation Around the ACA (10:15 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.) VIEW WEBCAST »
- John Eastman (Henry Salvatori Professor of Law and Community Service, Chapman University School of Law), "What the Heck did Chief Justice John Roberts Do?"
- Lisa Gilden (General Counsel, Catholic Health Association of United States), "ACA and Religious Liberty: The Freedom to Serve"
- Karen Harned (Executive Director, NFIB Small Business Legal Center), "The Give and Take of Congress' Enumerated Powers After NFIB v Sebelius"
- Dominic Perella (Associate, Hogan Lovells), "The ACA Decision: Watershed Moment for Federalism, or Much Ado About Nothing?"
- Moderator: Hugh Hewitt (Professor of Law, Chapman University School of Law)
Chapman Dialogue Lunch and Keynote Speaker: After Obamacare: Lessons of the VA for Health Care Reform (11:45 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.) VIEW WEBCAST »
- Phillip Longman (Senior Research Fellow, New American Foundation)
- Moderator: Joel Marrero (Instructor, Military Law and Policy Institute, Chapman University)
Panel II: Practical Implications: How The ACA will Affect Key Players in Health Care (2:00 - 3:45 p.m.) VIEW WEBCAST »
- Charles Bond (Principal Attorney, Physician Advocates), "Bond's Secret Agents of Change: Doctors' Dilemma - Surviving Health Care Reform"
- Chris Durkin (President, The Fringe Benefit Company), "Complying with the ACA: Practical Business Issues"
- Diana Hoffman (Special Counsel, CalOptima), "Medicaid Expansion: A Local Perspective"
- John Kabateck (Executive Director, NFIB/California) “Healthcare Reform and Main Street: What Small Business Needs to Know”
- Moderator: Harry Nelson (Managing Partner, Fenton Nelson)
Break: Cookies & Refreshments (3:45 - 4:00 p.m.)
Panel III: ACA's Effects on Expansion of Care to the Uninsured (4:00 - 5:30 p.m.) VIEW WEBCAST »
- Ellen Wu (Executive Director, California Pan-Ethnic Health Network), "Health Equity and the ACA"
- Kiwon Yoo (Policy Director, Insure the Uninsured Project), "The Affordable Care Act: How it will Help the Uninsured"
- Joel Torrez, Jr. (Manager, Health Policy, The Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers), "The Clinics and the Uninsured"
- Moderator: Marisa Cianciarulo (Professor of Law and Director, Family Protection Clinic)
"En Banc" Reception: Cocktails and Appetizers for all guest, presenters, faculty and students (5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.)
Registration is now closed for this event.
MCLE Continuing Education Credit: This program qualifies for general California MCLE credit for attorneys. A Uniform Certificate of Attendance will be provided to attendees at the conference. Please include what parts of the day you will be attending if you require MCLE credit.
If you are unable to make it to the symposium you can watch a live Webcast of the Symposium at www.chapman.edu/law. Must attend live event to receive MCLE credit.