Academic Policies and Procedures

General Information


Students must meet the degree requirements of the catalog in effect the semester/term they began course work and were admitted to that degree program. Students may opt to select a later catalog for a year in which they were enrolled. Changing to a later catalog must be officially requested through the Office of the University Registrar. Students have a one semester grace period to assess the changes in their new requirements during which they may return to their original catalog. After the grace period, the change in catalog year is irreversible. Other than the degree requirements, students must adhere to the academic requirements and to policies and procedures in place in the current catalog. Such requirements include, but are not limited to, course pre–requisites, minimum grades for transfer work, probation and suspension requirements, etc. Statements in the catalog are for informational purposes and should not be considered as the basis for a contract between students and the university. Information regarding any changes in degree programs, graduation requirements or academic policies is made available by the appropriate academic units.

Student Responsibility and Academic Advising

The university honors its published academic policies and programs, including required courses for graduation. The student is responsible for his or her program, including meeting the published requirements and deadlines. The university assists the student in making appropriate decisions by providing academic advising. However, the decisions made in the academic advising process are those of the student.

Transfer Credits and Concurrent Enrollment

Attendance Policy

Class attendance policies are determined by each instructor and are included in the course syllabus distributed at the beginning of each term. The university recommends as a minimal policy that students who are absent 20 percent of the course should be failed. Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course in which they are registered may be administratively dropped, unless they make arrangements with the instructor prior to the first day of class.

Address Change

Students must notify the university of any change in their addresses or phone numbers. Such changes may be made using WebAdvisor, the student's Chapman e‑mail or at the Office of the University Registrar.

Degree Requirements

Admission to the Degree Program

Admission is based upon possession of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and the fulfillment of requirements as specified for each program.

Undergraduate Prerequisites for Graduate Programs

Broad program prerequisites and specific course prerequisites are intended to improve the educational experience of the learner. The university recognizes that educational differences exist among individuals and encourages graduate students to work closely with their academic advisors to plan for personal needs and academic excellence.

Course Requirements

Grade and Quality Requirements

Degrees and credentials are granted on evidence of intellectual growth and development rather than solely on the basis of formal course credits. Fulfillment of the minimum course requirements set forth cannot, therefore, be regarded as the sole requisite of a degree or credential.

Residency Requirement

A minimum of 24 credits in the degree program must be completed at Chapman University for all graduate degrees. For specific program requirements, please refer to the appropriate program section. These credits do not include courses taken to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Students in credential programs are required to complete a minimum of two–thirds of the program at Chapman.

Minimum Course Grade Requirement

No grade below 2.000 "C" is acceptable toward a degree or credential, but is included in calculating the overall grade–point average. By action of the Graduate Academic Council all courses must be taken for a letter grade unless specifically noted otherwise in the course description.

Grade–Point Average

The following are university guidelines; some programs specify more stringent policies. Please refer to appropriate program section.

Change of Program Policies

Students requesting a change of program are required to follow all readmission policies and procedures, as indicated in the Graduate Catalog, prior to completing course work.

Second Master’s Degree

The following regulations govern the earning of a second master’s degree from Chapman University:

Second Emphasis Area

Students completing a second emphasis area within one master’s degree program may not use previously completed course work for one emphasis to fulfill the requirements of a second emphasis.

If a comprehensive examination is required for the second emphasis area, the student will be required to complete the examination for each emphasis.

Advancement to Candidacy

Advancement to candidacy is required for some degree programs. Please consult the appropriate program section of the catalog for specific requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to submit an application for Advancement to Candidacy to the program’s department office.

Comprehensive Examination

The Master’s Thesis or Project

The thesis or project is a requirement of some of the master’s degree programs.

Students writing a thesis or project as part of their master’s degrees will work closely with their faculty adviser who will arrange for a review committee. Programs that offer a thesis option require an oral defense of the thesis with the review committee. Please observe the printed deadlines for submitting an Intent to Graduate form when your thesis or project is near completion. Two copies of the completed thesis (three copies if a bound personal copy is being requested) should be brought to the library for binding and distribution. A final grade for the thesis course will not be issued until after submission of the thesis for binding.

Contact individual departments for specific thesis/project and comprehensive examination requirements.

The PhD Dissertation

Contact individual departments for specific dissertation requirements and comprehensive examination requirements.

Time Limitation

All requirements for graduate degrees and credential programs, including courses accepted for transfer credit from other institutions, must be completed within a seven–year period. A student must submit a Graduate Petition form for an extension of the seven–year limit to the Office of the University Registrar. The student’s program adviser must submit a written statement of support for the petition.

Registration and Course Information

Course Load

A full course load for graduate and credential students, other than MBA and EMBA students, is defined as nine credits per regular semester, as well as summer session. For MBA students full academic load per semester is eight credits. First year EMBA students have a full academic load at eight credits per semester. For second year EMBA students, the fall semester load is eight credits while the spring semester full academic load is nine credits. A full academic load for interterm is three credits; students may take up to a maximum of four credits in interterm.

Course Numbering System

Beginning in the fall semester 1971, courses are numbered as follows:

001099 Remedial courses and courses not appropriate for college degree credit but designed to meet specific needs of individuals or groups where degree credit is not required. Remedial courses are noncredit courses.

100299 Lower–division courses of freshman and sophomore level; freshman level 100–199 and sophomore level 200–299.

129, 229, 329, 429 These numbers indicate experimental course work offered by a department. Experimental courses are designed to offer additional opportunities to explore areas and subjects of special interest and may be repeated for credit if course content is different. Course titles, prerequisites and credits may vary. Some courses require student lab fees. Specific course details will be listed in the course schedule.

194, 394 These numbers indicate course work offered through the Chapman Study Abroad program. Courses have been approved for credit but do not equate to any regular Chapman courses.

199, 299, 399, 499 Individual study courses.

291, 491 Student--faculty research and creative activity courses.

300399 Upper–division courses of junior and senior level that do not yield graduate credit. Sophomores may enroll provided they meet prerequisites and restrictions. Freshmen are admitted with written consent of instructor and chair of department offering the course.

400499 Upper–division courses of junior and senior level that yield graduate credit for graduate students. Freshman students may not enroll.

500--699 Graduate courses for graduate students and seniors meeting specific guidelines.

682 Student--faculty research and creative activity courses.

700--799 Post--master’s and doctoral courses.


During official registration dates, students may initially register for courses, add courses or drop courses via WebAdvisor in accordance with their priority registration access. Being placed by an instructor on the course roll does not constitute being officially registered for the course. Students can officially register only through WebAdvisor or at the Office of the University Registrar. After the semester/term add deadline, students may not attend courses without being officially enrolled in the course.

If a course is dropped during the first two weeks of the semester (see academic calendar for corresponding dates for summer and interterm), no record of the course is posted to the student’s transcript. Students who officially drop or withdraw from a course between the third and the tenth week of standard semesters will receive a non–punitive notation of "W" on their transcripts indicating the withdrawal. Students cannot drop a course beyond the tenth week of the semester. It is the student's responsibility to withdraw officially from a course or all courses. Failure to attend a course does not constitute a withdrawal. Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing will receive a grade of "FW," failure to withdraw, which is calculated the same as an "F" grade for the grade–point average.

Complete Withdrawal

Students must withdraw officially from course work, either through WebAdvisor or the Office of the University Registrar, before the end of the tenth week of a standard semester. (See academic calendar for deadline dates.) Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing will receive a grade of "FW," failure to withdraw, which is calculated as an "F" grade. Students who drop all courses and discontinue studies during the semester must also notify the dean and either request a leave of absence or officially withdraw from the program.

Only well–documented requests for tuition refund based upon extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student (e.g., medical/psychological issues, death in the family or other family crisis) and with the support of the relevant faculty members, will be approved. Tuition refunds require the approval of the Chancellor.

Leave of Absence

If, for acceptable reasons, students find it necessary to interrupt progress toward their degrees for more than one semester (interterm and summer sessions do not constitute a semester), a leave of absence may be granted. A leave permits students to retain the right to elect requirements in effect at time of the leave or to adopt those in effect at time of return. Requests for Leave of Absence Forms or Graduate Petition Forms are available at the appropriate dean’s office. All complete forms should be submitted to the appropriate dean’s office for review. (Students wishing to leave during a semester prior to the end of the withdrawal period must also officially drop all course work, either via WebAdvisor or at the Office of the University Registrar.) The dean’s office will notify the Office of the University Registrar whether the leave application is approved. Minimum requirements for a leave of absence are as follows:


Graduate students who have broken enrollment for a period of more than one semester without receiving an approved Leave of Absence are required to request re–enrollment through the department (interterm and summer sessions do not constitute a semester). All students are held to the degree requirements in effect at the time of their return unless approved for their original catalog year requirements by the program director or appropriate dean.

Administrative Drop

Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course in which they are registered may be administratively dropped, unless they make arrangements with the instructor prior to the first day of class. Students who do not attend the first two weeks of class will be administratively dropped from the course if identified by the instructor as not having attended. Students should contact the instructor if a possible error has been made regarding an administrative drop.

Pass/No Pass

After initial registration in a course, in order to change the grading basis (e.g., to "P/NP") students must submit an e–mail notification from an official Chapman e–mail address to the Office of the University Registrar requesting the change. The option of P/NP grading may also be indicated on a hard–copy Registration Form submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. The deadline for changing a course's grading basis is the end of the tenth week for fall and spring semesters. (See academic calendar for corresponding dates for interterm and summer terms.) Changes in grading basis cannot be done via WebAdvisor. Once a course is graded, students cannot request a change in grading option. Certain courses require letter grades only and certain courses allow only Pass/No Pass as the grading option. Such restrictions are noted in the course descriptions.

A student who satisfactorily completes a "P/NP" course will receive a "P" grade. Credit will be granted. However, no grade points are assigned and the grade is not computed in the grade–point average. "P" grades are equivalent to a "C" grade or higher.

A grade of "NP" (no pass) will be given when the requirements for credit in the course have not been satisfied at the level of "C" or higher. "NP" grades are given for "C–" and below. No credit is granted, no grade points are assigned and the "NP" is not computed in the grade–point average.

Students who take a course Pass/No Pass, cease attending part way through the semester and fail to officially withdraw from the course will receive an "FW" grade. "FW" is computed in the grade point average as an "F."

Incomplete Grades

The grade of Incomplete may be assigned by an instructor if a student, through circumstances beyond his or her control, has not completed a small portion of a course by the conclusion of the term. The student must request the grade of Incomplete and must propose a date acceptable to the faculty member by which the missing work will be completed. A grade of Incomplete may not be assigned to give a student a chance to do more work to improve a grade. A grade of Incomplete may also be assigned by an instructor if academic integrity is in question at the time grades are due and the instructor requires more time to resolve the issue.

The deadline for removal of an Incomplete is one year from the first day of the term in which the Incomplete was recorded, unless a shorter period of time is specified by the instructor. In certain circumstances where the student must attend the class to fulfill the remaining requirements and when the course is not offered every semester, at the instructor’s discretion, the deadline for removal of the Incomplete will be one year from the end of the term in which the Incomplete was recorded. The deadline determined by the faculty member must be specified at the time of original submission of the incomplete grade. When issuing an Incomplete grade, instructors may issue the grade the student would have earned by assessing scores on all graded requirements, preceded by an "I" (e.g. "IC--", "ID+"). This grade is determined by including all zero points for all missing assignments in the calculation of the final grade. For final grades other than "I" (see below) students will receive credit for the course at the time the initial grade is entered. The initial grade is calculated in both the term and cumulative GPA, to be updated if and when the subsequent grade is submitted. If the agreed upon remaining course work is not completed in the period allotted, the initial grade issued, without the "I", will become the grade of record.

If the instructor determines that the student would receive an "F" grade based upon the zero point calculation, then an "I" grade is entered as the final grade, with zero credit given and zero points calculated. "I" grades will become "F" or "NP" if the agreed upon course work is not completed in the period allotted.


Grades and corresponding grade points are as follows:



grade points




























failure to withdraw






no pass









not reported






satisfactory progress



Students dropping a course in the prescribed manner after the add–drop period and on or before the final day to withdraw from a course (as stated in the academic calendar section) will receive a non–punitive "W" notation.

The "FW" grade is assigned to students who cease attending part way through the semester but who do not officially withdraw via WebAdvisor or the Office of the University Registrar. "FW" is computed in the grade–point average as an "F." Students who take a course Pass/No Pass, cease attending part way through the semester and fail to withdraw officially will receive the "NP" grade.

Note: By action of the Graduate Academic Council, all graduate work must be taken for a letter grade. Any exceptions to this policy will be noted in the course description of the specific course.

Grade Points

From September 1958 to September 1981, grade points were awarded as follows: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0. Pluses and minuses were disregarded. Beginning September 1981, grade points are awarded as follows: A = 4, A– = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B– = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C– = 1.7*

*Grades of this level and below are considered unacceptable work for graduate students.

Courses Repeated for Higher Grades

Except as specified by department or school, any graduate–level course at Chapman may be repeated to improve the grade. The lower grade remains on the record with a notation that the course has been repeated. Only the higher grade and credit are computed in the grade–point average. Other than possible exceptions related to academic integrity violations, only the higher grade and credit are computed in the grade–point average. It is recommended that a course be repeated as soon as practical if it is to be taken for a higher grade. In exercising this option, a graduate student must repeat the course at Chapman University.

Course Audit

No credit is earned from audited classes. A notation of “AU” is assigned to audited classes and is not used in computing the grade‑point average. Course requisites are enforced in the determination of registration eligibility for the course. Audit fees will be assessed. It is strongly recommended that students confer with their advisors prior to officially auditing a course.

No preregistration is allowed for courses taken as audit. Students must use the official registration form and obtain the instructor's signature to register for a course as audit; the deadline for such a transaction is the same as the add/drop deadline for regular courses for all terms. Course requirements such as homework, exams and papers are not graded by the instructor for students who are auditing a course.

Not all courses are eligible to be audited.

Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Programs

An accelerated program combines both undergraduate and graduate education by allowing the undergraduate student to be conditionally admitted into the graduate program while still completing all undergraduate degree requirements. An accelerated program has a curriculum mapped across both degree programs and it allows the student to include up to 12 graduate credit units in both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Typically, accelerated programs allow for the successful completion of the undergraduate and graduate degrees via a 4 + 1 combination of undergraduate and graduate course work.

Chapman students must apply to a graduate program in their junior or senior year. Students will receive conditional admission to the program, pending completion of their bachelor's degree as stipulated in the graduate catalog. (See explanations of conditional admission in the graduate catalog.) If accepted into a graduate program, undergraduate students may take up to 12 credits of approved graduate--level course work once they have completed 90 undergraduate credit units. Students would complete the remaining credit hours of graduate course work beginning in the semester after receiving the undergraduate degree. The application process, prerequisites, GPA and graduate program requirements are as specified for the graduate program.

Individually Directed Courses

Individually directed courses cannot be audited.

Reading and Conference Courses

Reading and conference courses are offered only when absolutely necessary and when the course is not scheduled. The courses are not offered to resolve scheduling conflicts with other classes or work or to complete a schedule.

To enroll in reading and conference courses, students must complete a reading and conference form (available online and from the Office of the University Registrar) and obtain the signatures of the department chair of the course and course instructor. After receiving approval, the student must submit the form to the Office of the University Registrar. A minimum of five hours of instruction for each credit is required for reading and conference courses.

Individual Study and Research

Individual study and research is offered to students to research particular topics that are not provided for by regular curriculum offerings.

To enroll in individual study and research, students must complete the individual study and research form (available from the Office of the University Registrar) and obtain the signatures of the department chair of the course and course instructor. After receiving approval, the student must submit the form to the Office of the University Registrar. Students should spend 40 to 50 hours in instruction and research for each credit of individual study.

Student--Faculty Research and Creative Activity

Student--faculty independent research and creative activity is available to graduate matriculated--students only. Projects are normally extracurricular, meaning outside of a degree or minor program's curriculum and requirements and outside of standard course structure. Student--faculty independent research and creative activity is not intended to replace a capstone in the major or to supply coverage for a gap in the curriculum/degree program.

To enroll in student--faculty research and creative activity, students must meet with a faculty mentor to discuss and prepare the proposal/contract. The faculty mentor submits the final proposal/contract approved by the Chair/Associate Dean to the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) by the published deadline posted on the OUR Web site. The OUR will review the proposed research and notify faculty and student and will submit approved projects to the Office of the University Registrar for enrollment.

Probation and Dismissal

Petition and Appeal Process

Academic Petition

Chapman University is sensitive to the educational advantages of a flexible curriculum but is also conscious of a responsibility to ensure equity for all students. Permission to deviate from published regulations is neither automatic nor done as a formality; each request is considered on its own merits and in light of the petitioner's complete academic record. Internal guidelines have been established to help committee members with their deliberation on individual cases.

The Graduate Academic Council and the Undergraduate Academic Council are responsible for creating academic policies and procedures within the university. A student's petition to deviate from general university policies is submitted to the Graduate Academic Council via the Office of the University Registrar. The Graduate Petition Form is available online at the Office of the University Registrar's Web site. Petitions are reviewed by the Graduate Academic Council as follows:

The decisions on petitions made by the Graduate Academic Council are recorded within the student's record; students are notified by the Office of the University Registrar via the student's Chapman e–mail account. Please note that a fee may be assessed for certain petition types.

Academic Appeal

(See "Grade Review Policy" and "Probation and Dismissal Policy" for specific requirements.)

Each student has the right of academic appeal. For academic matters, the process normally begins with the faculty member involved, if appropriate. Appeals go to the department or program and then to the Graduate Academic Council. For nonacademic matters, students should first discuss the matter with the head of the appropriate department (facilities management, business office, etc.) with appeals to the appropriate supervisor. For matters concerning disabled student services, students should contact the director of the Office of Disability Services at (714) 744–7971.

Appeal Process

Students may appeal a decision of the Graduate Academic Council (with the exception of grade reviews where the Graduate Academic Council decision is final) to the Office of the Chancellor by providing documented evidence demonstrating one or both of the following grounds for appeal:

Students who wish to appeal a decision of the Graduate Academic Council must submit a written appeal to the Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education in the Office of the Chancellor within 10 working days of the date they are notified of the decision of the council. The written appeal must include the following:

The appeal and accompanying documents submitted to the Office of the Chancellor will be kept in the Office of the Chancellor and will not be returned to the student.

Students submitting appeals to the Office of the Chancellor may request to meet with the Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education to discuss their appeals. This meeting should normally occur within five working days of submission of the materials described above. The Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education will consult with the Graduate Academic Council in reviewing the appeal.

Students will be notified of the decision of the Office of the Chancellor in writing. The decision of the Office of the Chancellor on the student academic appeals is final and there is no additional process of appeal.

Grade Review Policy

Professors, as experts in their fields, have the final authority in assigning student grades, except for cases involving clear evidence of capricious grading or failure to follow the professional standards of the discipline.

Faculty members may change final grades after submission to the Office of the University Registrar only for clerical error. Furthermore, additional work may not be assigned to enable the student to receive a higher grade.

However, a student who believes that he or she has received a grade based on capricious or unprofessional grading may appeal personally to the instructor for an explanation of the grade and for possible reconsideration. As a professional scholar and educator, the instructor should be able to explain the grading criteria, how the criteria meet the standards of the discipline and how the individual student’s grade derives from these criteria.

If, after consulting with the instructor, the grade dispute is not resolved or if the student has made a good faith effort to contact the instructor and has received no response, the student may appeal directly to the department chair of the academic unit in which the course was offered (or the associate dean if there is no department chair). All grade appeals must be filed in writing within 30 days from the date that the grade was assigned. The department chair may deny the student petition, confer directly with the instructor of record in the course to resolve the dispute, form a faculty committee to review the grade or refer the petition to the dean's office of the school or college of the department. If the grade dispute is decided unfavorably for the student at the departmental level, the student may further appeal the decision directly to the dean's office. The dean's office will make the final college–level decision on the petition.

After the dean's office notifies the student of its decision, the student has two weeks to request a review by the Graduate Academic Council. Such a request may be made only if compelling new evidence appears or if there is substantive evidence that the petition process was not followed in accordance with the grade challenge policy. The Graduate Academic Council will render a final decision and there is no additional process of appeal.

Changes in grades may occur only through the petition process initiated by an individual student. Any newly assigned grades will be recorded in the student's official record.

Graduation Policies

Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of each graduating student to refer to the program evaluation in WebAdvisor to check which requirements have been completed and which requirements still need to be completed. A student may not shift this responsibility to an adviser or to the staff of the Office of the University Registrar.

Application for Degree Conferral

Although a student may have completed all requirements, graduation is not automatic. Every degree candidate is required to submit the online an Application for Degree Conferral with the Office of the University Registrar. If the student should fail to complete requirements by the intended graduation date, the student must immediately request a future graduation date. If a student fails to complete requirements and has not requested the application be moved to a future date, the application shall become void and the student must refile when anticipating degree completion.

Submission of the application is done online via WebAdvisor. For information and application deadlines, refer to the Chapman University Web site. Chapman confers degrees three times during the academic year, refer to the academic calendar for conferral dates. All degree requirements must be completed by the last day of the month in which the degree is to be conferred.


Formal university commencement ceremonies are held annually in May. To participate in the ceremonies, students must submit an online participation form with the Office of the Chancellor. To be eligible at the time of the participation form deadline, students must have filed the application for degree conferral and the student’s official program evaluation must indicate that the student is on course to complete all degree requirements satisfactorily (including comprehensive examination, thesis/project) by the commencement date. Students receiving degrees in January or at the end of the summer are entitled to participate in the following May commencement ceremonies.

The James L. Doti Outstanding Graduate Student Award

The James L. Doti Outstanding Graduate Student Award is awarded annually and is the highest honor for graduate students at Chapman University. Two Doti awards are granted, one for a master's degree student and one for a Ph.D. student. The original Doti award trophy, incorporating artist Nick Hernandez's sculpture Emergence, remains on perpetual exhibit in Argyros Forum. Upon the trophy is engraved the names of all Doti Award recipients since 2013. The recipients must exhibit academic excellence and outstanding professional leadership during his/her graduate school matriculation at Chapman University.

Release of Transcripts and Diplomas

No transcripts or diplomas are released to any student who has an unpaid balance to Chapman University or to any Chapman sponsored agency or who has not completed the required Financial Aid exit interview.

Diplomas are mailed out approximately three weeks after the date of conferral of the degree. Under no circumstances will a diploma be released prior to the conferral date.

Unless otherwise allowed by Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, all official transcripts are issued only with written permission of the student. Information on requesting official transcripts is available at Unofficial transcripts are available only via WebAdvisor.

Faculty Rights and Procedures Regarding Student Classroom Behavior

Faculty members are responsible for ensuring an effective learning environment for all students in their classes, which encourages active student participation, including the right to raise questions and challenge information. Hence, faculty members also have the responsibility and authority to maintain appropriate student behavior. Classes are defined as including laboratories, internships, field placements or any settings that can be designated as a learning environment, such as travel studies and field trips.

Consequently, if a student is considered to be threatening or disruptive in the classroom, behaves in a way that interferes with the learning of other students or refuses to fulfill the academic requirements of the course, the faculty member has the right to have the student who demonstrates such behavior removed from the class, either by administrative withdrawal or by making arrangements for the student to complete the requirements in absentia.

The faculty member should immediately report the matter to the dean and department chair. The faculty member may also request the assistance of the Dean of Students to provide advice or to mediate the dispute.

A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the faculty member must submit the appeal in writing to the relevant academic dean within five working days of the decision. The dean will then conduct an investigation and respond to the student with a written decision within five working days. If during the appeal, the dean determines that the faculty member is possibly at fault, the dean may address the situation directly with the faculty member or may refer the matter to the Chancellor for disposition. If the student is dissatisfied with this outcome, he or she may submit a written appeal to the Chancellor, whose decision in these matters is final and binding. During this period of appeal, the student may not return to class. Even if the student's appeal is successful, the student may not return to the class unless the faculty member has specifically agreed to this. If the Chancellor upholds the earlier decision, the student may still be subject to the student conduct system for further conduct review at the discretion of the Dean of Students.

Academic Integrity Policy

Chapman University is a community of scholars that emphasizes the mutual responsibility of all members to seek knowledge honestly and in good faith. Students are responsible for doing their own work and academic dishonesty of any kind will be subject to sanction by the instructor and referral to the University's Academic Integrity Committee, which may impose additional sanctions including expulsion. Please see the full description of Chapman University's Policy on Academic Integrity at

Academic Integrity Violations

Academic dishonesty can take a number of forms including but not limited to the following:

Cheating: Using or attempting to use unauthorized assistance, information or study aids in any academic exercise.

Fabrication: The falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise.

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty: Knowingly helping or attempting to help another to violate any provision of this policy.

Plagiarism: Representing the words, research findings or ideas of another person as your own in any academic exercise. [At their discretion, faculty may submit student work to plagiarism--detection software, such as for review.]

Misrepresentation of Academic Records: Misrepresenting, tampering with or attempting to tamper with any University academic document, either before or after coming to Chapman University.

Academic Integrity in Research

Chapman University students are expected to adhere to standards of ethics and integrity in research and scholarship. Misconduct in research includes fabrication, falsification, plagiarism or other practices that deviate significantly from those that are commonly accepted within the scholarly, creative and scientific community for proposing, conducting or reviewing research or in reporting research results. Key examples of such misconduct are listed below:


Falsification of Data:

Dishonesty in Presentation and Publication:

Violation of Regulations:

Unethical Research Practices:

Legal Violations:

Academic Integrity Sanctions

The usual order of recommended sanctions is as follows:

Possible Sanctions

The sanction given to a student is entirely up to the instructor or administrator, based on the severity of the violation. The following are only examples of possible sanctions that can be given out:

Additional Information on Sanctions

Important Guidelines for Students

Contesting a Violation Report and/or Sanction to the Academic Integrity Committee

If the student accepts responsibility for the charge and the imposed sanction, the matter is immediately resolved. If the allegation or founded violation represents a second violation of the Academic Integrity Policy, the Academic Integrity Committee will review the case regardless of whether the student decides to contest the violation report or sanction.

Any student who has received an Academic Integrity Committee sanction letter is encouraged to schedule a meeting with the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students or designee to discuss the situation prior to contesting the case.

If the student disagrees with the violation report or the sanction of the instructor or administrator, the student can contest the violation report or sanction to the Academic Integrity Committee by e--mailing, addressed to the Academic Integrity Committee chair.

A student who decides to contest the violation report or sanction must prepare a written document that includes evidence in support of the argument and that is thoughtful, well reasoned and substantive.

The Academic Integrity Committee Chair will notify the student via Chapman e--mail regarding whether a hearing will be held at least five Chapman University business days in advance of the scheduled hearing date if a hearing is to be held.

If the Academic Integrity Committee hears the student’s case, the following individuals will participate:

Should the student fail to appear before the Academic Integrity Committee, the Academic Integrity Committee shall have full authority to proceed in the student’s absence. Any student who misses the scheduled hearing with the Academic Integrity Committee forfeits the right to appeal the Academic Integrity Committee’s decision to the Office of the Chancellor. If, for any reason, the student needs to reschedule the meeting with the Academic Integrity Committee, the committee must receive a 24--hour notice.

At the start of the hearing, the student is invited to present his or her case. The student has the right to present relevant supporting evidence. The student should be brief, concise and organized in presenting the case.

After the student has presented the case and all questions have been addressed, the student will be excused and the Academic Integrity Committee will deliberate. Deliberation may result in the following:

After the Academic Integrity Committee makes its decision, the chair will notify the student in writing and via Chapman e--mail. Decisions of the Academic Integrity Committee are based on the standard of proof whether it is more likely than not that the student violated the Academic Integrity Policy of Chapman University.

Appeal of Academic Integrity Committee Decision to the Chancellor

If unsatisfied with the outcome of the Academic Integrity Committee hearing to contest the violation report or sanction, the student may appeal the decision of the Academic Integrity Committee to the Chancellor by e--mailing within five Chapman University business days of receiving the Academic Integrity Committee decision letter. This period is known as "the appeal period." In exceptional circumstances, a student may file a request to the Chancellor for an extension of the appeal period by e--mailing Requests for extensions must be made within the appeal period.

Appeals are not granted automatically. They must be thoughtful, well reasoned and substantive and they must demonstrate that at least one of the following criteria exists:

The Office of the Chancellor has the final authority on all Academic Integrity Policy violation cases.